Mega Campaign wishes

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

ruxius
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri May 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: ITALY

Post by ruxius »

Ok I'm glad we are clear about everything..


Firstly, is it possible to play a wargame that models a historical event without any political element to it ? Not sure myself that it is.

No , sure , I don't think so , obviously.. I was only trying to say that a sort of fairness should be kept while other players may not share your ideas..this refers to starting post of Geoff who was quite offensive..
and your post seemed to underline again the question..But I was wrong..you told me..sorry

The point of my post was point out that there are some people who are not happy playing the German side.

I have full of respect about this point and I think it's very relevant into this thread..
many others like you and me share the same feeling...a MEGACD for only one player unavoidally cut off interest from a lot of players..
I wrote a lot here about a way MAtrix can adopt to gain more customers of a 'wrong'-sided Megac...


I did want to cause offence with post and have not been offended by your post, all I was trying to do was explain why I would not buy a MC that plays the German side, and thought that maybe Matrix would like to know.
Ok !
Italian Soldier,German Discipline!
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Our (or at least my) emphasis is on picking the battles for scenarios is what is appealing to the majority of gamers. I like to find those with a unique twist historically to them.

To be honest, I never consider the politics of it all, but rather the combatants, the battle and the outcome along with its effect on the war, at least locally.

The larger issues of world domination I suppose can be indirectly reflected but no one battle on the level of SPWAW could ever determine that.

They are tactical conflicts on a local level, man against man, machine against machine.

Now, as to how much Rommel did or did not know about what was going on in the Nazi part is open to debate I am sure you would agree, Matt.

The extent of his participation in sueing for peace with the west or that of the plot to kill Hiter is also debatable.

But honestly, those are things I tend to read and write about. They don't enter my mind when doing scenarios or playing the game.

Most of that which is contained in scenarios is simply the heat of battle between outfits torn between survival and victory.

I do hope that we do not take the political issues which are really something outside of this original suggestion by Geoff any further, at least in this topic.

Better to let sleeping dogs lie (instead of nipping at our heels)

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

I enjoy the Tactical aspects of the SPwaw game system more than politic's and such.

When I design scenarios, they are not from a political nor idealogical perspective. I design scenaios for tactical and historical reason. You can read from a book about a WW II battle but using a game system gives another look and feel at the battle.

The Stalingrad campaign that came with the game was designed with that in mind: to give a player a feel of what it was like, as much as game could allow, for the German Commanders of small units to fight at Stalingrad. I kept the flow of game as historical as possible in brutal intensity. I hope to add to the Campaign a few more branches so that it will become more tactically Fun and challenging soon.

Also - Would anyone enjoy a Stalingrad era to Kursk era Mega Campaign from the German side? Why the German side you ask? For Stalingrad era - its the historical reasons and for Kursk - Its Tiger Tanks - so many gamers enjoy using these armor beast.

There are plenty of allied campaigns that can be done too and these can happen if given more time but please bear with us as these take time to do. In fact, I enjoy playing from the allied side rahter than the axis side in two player games. The UK and Canada sides are my favorite. There is an alure of playing the German side for many gamers and those are for many reasons: too many to post here.

I hope to have a regular Hill 112 Normandy Campaign done soon from the Allied UK side as well as the German Side from Epsom to Hill 112's final fall.

Let's keep this post focused on what type of MC's you would like to see for spwaw ;)

Either from allied or axis side..
Gen. Maczek
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tychy, Poland

Post by Gen. Maczek »

Might only be personal interest (for obvious reasons :D) but I'd like to see a Mega Campaign dealing with a Polish unit from the first, to the last days of the war...Imagine all the possible battlefields...Poland 39' Narvik 40' France 40' Tobruk 41' Lenino 43' Falais 44' Monte Cassino 44' Arnhem 44' Bagration 44' through to the final shots of the war fired by the 1st Division of the Polish Peoples Army fighting in Berlin. Certainly as varied a list of theaters as is possible to encompass in a campaign.
Obviously there wasnt a single Polish unit that fought at each of the above places but with a bit of imagination (transfers, promotions)one could probably include most of the above actions into one campaign...Would certainly give feelings of acomplishment and revenge (for me anyway ;) )when completed.

Regards.
Gen.Maczek

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: Gen. Maczek ]
Fabs
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 8:00 am
Location: London, U.K.
Contact:

Post by Fabs »

Hurray for Bryan, can't wait to see the Epsom - Hill 112 campaign!

If you need maps or general reference, I have a full library of Divisional and regimental histories, not to mention the other side's verision, for you to tap into.

Now, if I only could get someone interested in Italy and the 8th Army's campaign there...
Fabs
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”