Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Hi from the new guy and an embarrasing question

Post by Grinch »

Hello all, I just downloaded this game and thought I would drop in to say hi. I have heard a lot of great things about this game and I look forward to playing. this is where my not so bright question comes in.

I am not reall computer savvy so I have been having problems installing. It installs a ways and then asks for disk 2! This is where I am stumped. Am I doing something wrong here? I decided to delete the file and Im now in the process of downloading from a different site but I am coming here in case I encounter the same problems. Thanks to all in advance for any help and I look forward to playing what looks to be a great game!
kao16
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Post by kao16 »

The dreaded "...insert disk 2" problem.

Unfortuneately, this means that there is something wrong with your download. It is possible that you didn't complete the download..... if using a download manager (e.g., Getright) you may be able to re-commence downloading and get the rest of the file.


Alternatively you may have to download the whole thing again (believe me, this is not an uncommon problem... check the "search" option looking for "disk 2" for stories)

Edit addition>>
the above was sent without reading beyond ...disk 2..., the problem is so well known that I jumped to respond :o

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: kao16 ]
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Thanks for the quick reply. I finished downloading from another site and the good news is I no longer get the insert disk 2 problem. Now it immediately asks for disk 1!
Are there any other sites to download the game from other than the two listed on this site?
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

I tried downloading from both the edomes site and games domain.
xjussix
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am
Contact:

Post by xjussix »

That's strange..I downloaded the game from eDome and had no problems.
Member of the NSAA. :eek:
Don't ask what it is :D You don't want to know.
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

When I first downloaded the game it took me about 6 tries before I got it right.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Warrior, did you have to download it 6 times, or just try installing it 6 times?
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Happy to have you Grinch! What download program are you using? How fast is your download time? Do you have DSL, cable or standard modem?

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Grinch:
Warrior, did you have to download it 6 times, or just try installing it 6 times?
I'm not sure it was actually **6** times, but I downloaded more than twice before I got a clean install. It's not that unusual for a download to become corrupted, and the only thing you can do is try again until it's right.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Thanks Warrior. Im now in the process of trying to directly download from matrix. Hopefully this will work. Cross my fingers!
deggo
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Lewiston, Idaho
Contact:

Post by deggo »

I think it was the first version I had the disk two message but the game actually worked as if it installed completely.
I expected some problem to eventually arise but it seemed ok.
I later had a major PC crash and had to download the whole thing again.

Scott
Scott
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Well it looks as if this game just doesnt like me. Ive finished my 6th try and still no joy. It would figure that a game that I have heard such great things about would be the one thing not to work right. Thanks to all for your help.
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Originally posted by Grinch:
Well it looks as if this game just doesnt like me. Ive finished my 6th try and still no joy. It would figure that a game that I have heard such great things about would be the one thing not to work right. Thanks to all for your help.
Check your email, all is not lost. :D
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Thanks for your email Warrior. I really appreciate your help. Its so refreshing coming to such a friendly and helpful board.

Wild Bill, Im sorry I missed your reply. I am using real download and I am downloading with cable. It usually takes between 1-2 hours to complete the full download depending on what site I go to. I think it may have been a problem with PKzip so I tried getting WINzip just in case. It would often time out while unzipping so I will try this as a last resort.
Grinch
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:00 am

Post by Grinch »

Well what do you know. I used winzip and it worked fine! NowI finaly get to see what all the fuss is about! :) Thanks again for the help.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”