[RESOLVED] Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Moderator: MOD_Command
[RESOLVED] Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Altitude/Speed (F2) control window issues and crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam) !
While testing the Steam version of Command Modern Operations v1.09 Beta-Build 1774, I encountered reproducible issues with the altitude/speed control window (F2), sidebar controls, and unit images. Updated details below.
🛠 Problems observed
1. F2 window behavior depends on pause state
• Observed: The F2 altitude/speed window appears only when the game is paused, and in pause it remains open and usable.
• Issue: When the game is running (not paused), pressing F2 causes the window to appear briefly (around 2 seconds) and then auto-close, preventing changes to speed or altitude.
• Expected: The F2 window should remain open until confirmation, regardless of pause state.
• Additional note: This behavior in real-time mode started after downloading unit images from the server and adding them to the database.
2. Changing altitude while game is running
• Observed: Selecting an aircraft or ground unit and pressing F2 during live play shows the window for ~2 seconds before it disappears automatically.
• Impact: Makes real-time adjustments impossible without pausing the game.
3. Crash when changing altitude/speed via the right sidebar
• Observed: Attempting to change an aircraft’s altitude or speed using the right-hand sidebar controls results in a crash to desktop.
• Impact: Critical; prevents basic unit management through the UI.
System Information
• OS: Windows 11
• Platform: Steam
• Game Version: 1.09 Beta-Build 1774
• Mods: None
Notes
• The F2 window is stable only under pause; this appears to be a regression in live (unpaused) UI behavior.
• The sidebar crash is consistent and critical.
• The change in F2 behavior seems linked to the addition of unit images (.webp) downloaded from the server into the database.
Conclusion
Please investigate the F2 window handling when the game is running and the crash triggered by sidebar altitude/speed adjustments. The correlation with downloaded unit images may help identify the root cause.
Additionally, as in the previous beta builds, unit images are still missing in the right-hand unit status panel.
When collapsing the "unit status" section on the right sidebar, the game also crashes to desktop.
Additional crash log details (Build 1774):
During testing I also encountered the following error message in the exception handler:
"Error in Exception Handler! OnThreadException
Error in Exception Handler! theEx != null
Error in Exception Handler! e.Exception.GetType().Name: COMException
Error in Exception Handler! theEx.Message: The component initialization has failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x88982F8B)
Error in Exception Handler! theEx.StackTrace:
Error in Exception Handler! This is probably a Error in Exception Handler!. Please save a screenshot of this and submit it, along with the autosave files, for investigation."
• This COMException (HRESULT: 0x88982F8B) appears to be related to DirectX/Direct2D component initialization.
• It occurs when interacting with the F2 altitude/speed window and the right-hand sidebar unit image panel.
• As noted earlier, unit images are missing in the sidebar, and collapsing the image section also causes the game to crash to desktop.
I have saved the autosave files and can provide them along with screenshots if required.
Thank you.
While testing the Steam version of Command Modern Operations v1.09 Beta-Build 1774, I encountered reproducible issues with the altitude/speed control window (F2), sidebar controls, and unit images. Updated details below.
🛠 Problems observed
1. F2 window behavior depends on pause state
• Observed: The F2 altitude/speed window appears only when the game is paused, and in pause it remains open and usable.
• Issue: When the game is running (not paused), pressing F2 causes the window to appear briefly (around 2 seconds) and then auto-close, preventing changes to speed or altitude.
• Expected: The F2 window should remain open until confirmation, regardless of pause state.
• Additional note: This behavior in real-time mode started after downloading unit images from the server and adding them to the database.
2. Changing altitude while game is running
• Observed: Selecting an aircraft or ground unit and pressing F2 during live play shows the window for ~2 seconds before it disappears automatically.
• Impact: Makes real-time adjustments impossible without pausing the game.
3. Crash when changing altitude/speed via the right sidebar
• Observed: Attempting to change an aircraft’s altitude or speed using the right-hand sidebar controls results in a crash to desktop.
• Impact: Critical; prevents basic unit management through the UI.
System Information
• OS: Windows 11
• Platform: Steam
• Game Version: 1.09 Beta-Build 1774
• Mods: None
Notes
• The F2 window is stable only under pause; this appears to be a regression in live (unpaused) UI behavior.
• The sidebar crash is consistent and critical.
• The change in F2 behavior seems linked to the addition of unit images (.webp) downloaded from the server into the database.
Conclusion
Please investigate the F2 window handling when the game is running and the crash triggered by sidebar altitude/speed adjustments. The correlation with downloaded unit images may help identify the root cause.
Additionally, as in the previous beta builds, unit images are still missing in the right-hand unit status panel.
When collapsing the "unit status" section on the right sidebar, the game also crashes to desktop.
Additional crash log details (Build 1774):
During testing I also encountered the following error message in the exception handler:
"Error in Exception Handler! OnThreadException
Error in Exception Handler! theEx != null
Error in Exception Handler! e.Exception.GetType().Name: COMException
Error in Exception Handler! theEx.Message: The component initialization has failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x88982F8B)
Error in Exception Handler! theEx.StackTrace:
Error in Exception Handler! This is probably a Error in Exception Handler!. Please save a screenshot of this and submit it, along with the autosave files, for investigation."
• This COMException (HRESULT: 0x88982F8B) appears to be related to DirectX/Direct2D component initialization.
• It occurs when interacting with the F2 altitude/speed window and the right-hand sidebar unit image panel.
• As noted earlier, unit images are missing in the sidebar, and collapsing the image section also causes the game to crash to desktop.
I have saved the autosave files and can provide them along with screenshots if required.
Thank you.
- Attachments
-
- ExceptionLog_2025_11_23.7z
- (2.05 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
-
- Error F2_.7z
- (6.72 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
-
- Error.jpg (448.42 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
-
- error-2.jpg (415.27 KiB) Viewed 1033 times
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Can you please post your dxdiag file?
To get dxdiag, press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type dxdiag, and press Enter
Then click on Save all information and upload the file.
One important thing.
In a recent Discord update, several users have reported issues with panels in different games. Try closing Discord (make sure it is not running in the background) and try again.
To get dxdiag, press Win + R to open the Run dialog, type dxdiag, and press Enter
Then click on Save all information and upload the file.
One important thing.
In a recent Discord update, several users have reported issues with panels in different games. Try closing Discord (make sure it is not running in the background) and try again.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Thanks for the answer.
I'm attaching the dxdiag file.
As for Discord, I don't have it installed and I don't use it.
I'm attaching the dxdiag file.
As for Discord, I don't have it installed and I don't use it.
- Attachments
-
- DxDiag.7z
- (17.63 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
For the information of the game developers.
Completely uninstalling the video card driver and reinstalling with clean settings did not give any results, nothing changed.
Completely uninstalling the video card driver and reinstalling with clean settings did not give any results, nothing changed.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Is it reproducible? How?
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
I don't know if it's reproducible.
I insert the plane, F-3 sets the plane's route,
F-2 sets the speed (it's possible to set the speed if the game is paused, if not paused the window disappears),
then I press F-2 again to set the flight altitude (similarly with the pause as before)...
When the game is started, the F2 window appears for 2 seconds and disappears...
Exactly the same disappearances in the drop-down menu items in the game settings, if it is not paused.
But this behavior of the game is definitely related to the images of the units in the game database.
when the game was reinstalled and did not contain images, this behavior happened 1-2 times.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Does this mean that, as a temporary workaround, you can remove the image files?
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
I can not reproduce it.
Deleted all the pics in the DB3000 folder.
The pic of the Typhoon is automatically downloaded when the scenario is started.
But no F2 window problem and no crash using the right panel.
Deleted all the pics in the DB3000 folder.
The pic of the Typhoon is automatically downloaded when the scenario is started.
But no F2 window problem and no crash using the right panel.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
I'm afraid that I'm unable to repro the issue here. My DB folder is full of images.
Maybe, can you try reinstalling DX12 ?
Maybe, can you try reinstalling DX12 ?
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
On Windows 11 DX12 is not rearranged in any way, especially since it works perfectly. The problem with the disappearance of the F2 window and the game crashing is only in Beta version 1.09 (1774)blu3s wrote: Mon Nov 24, 2025 3:00 pm I'm afraid that I'm unable to repro the issue here. My DB folder is full of images.
Maybe, can you try reinstalling DX12 ?
In previous versions of the game 1.08 I only have unit images missing on the right sidebar.
I reported the image problem earlier in this thread.
https://forums.matrixgames.com/viewtopi ... 6#p5241746
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Try running CMO as adminstrator.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
I run Steam as administrator, I run CMO as administrator, nothing has changed, the F2 window disappears, when I set the altitude or speed on the right sidebar, the game crashes to the desktop.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
OK. This is in the exception log you uploaded.
I read this in the link below, and and thought that perhaps it was important.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/781 ... ing-window
>>Not running as administrator ! <<
I read this in the link below, and and thought that perhaps it was important.
I now compared procmon for webp for user account vs system account. System account: application tries to find MSWebp.dll under System32 folder and fails. User account: application finds MSWebp.dll successfully under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WebpImageExtension_1.1.522.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\x64\MSWebp_store.dll
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/781 ... ing-window
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
After your suggestion, I immediately tried launching Steam and CMO as Administrator - nothing changed.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Nikel wrote: Mon Nov 24, 2025 3:32 pm OK. This is in the exception log you uploaded.
>>Not running as administrator ! <<
I read this in the link below, and and thought that perhaps it was important.
I now compared procmon for webp for user account vs system account. System account: application tries to find MSWebp.dll under System32 folder and fails. User account: application finds MSWebp.dll successfully under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WebpImageExtension_1.1.522.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\x64\MSWebp_store.dll
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/781 ... ing-window
I have a request for you.
1) Please check if you have the file - MSWebp.dll?
2) if so, where exactly is it located?
I ran a system file check and the result was - "Windows Resource Protrction did not find eny integrity violations"
But I didn't find this "MSWebp.dll" file on the system drive C.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
My OS is still W10, not W11.
I searched the file and there are several versions, the important I suppose are located in:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
I searched the file and there are several versions, the important I suppose are located in:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Mine is a little different - Windows 11 Pro x64Nikel wrote: Mon Nov 24, 2025 4:33 pm My OS is still W10, not W11.
I searched the file and there are several versions, the important I suppose are located in:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
the file is present - C:\Windows\SysWOW64
the file is missing - C:\Windows\System32
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Do you still have the problem with the right panel pics?
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
I confirmed that mswebp.dll is present in SysWOW64 on my 64‑bit Windows system, so the missing unit images are not caused by a missing library. The issue seems to be in how Build 1774 handles WebP rendering in the sidebar.
Re: Crashes in CMO v1.09 Beta-Build 1774 (Steam)
Perhaps CMO needs the 32 bits version of the MSWebp.dll even though is a 64-bits application?
