Cherry Blossom Festival

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by tsimmonds »

This morning while standing in line in the terminal at Baltimore Washington International, I noticed that there were dozens of posters, charming in the way that only posters made by area elementary school pupils can be, promoting the upcoming Cherry Blossom Festival in DC. This year's theme is "Celebrating 150 Years of Peace and Friendship between America and Japan". At first I was amused, then it occurred to me that it was possible that the kids who made those posters had never even heard of WWII....strange.
Fear the kitten!
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by Mike Scholl »

The truely sad part is, that in this era of PC thinking, you may very well be right.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by mogami »

Hi, Well Matt visted Japan in 1853. 151 years ago so I guess we now consider WWII a mere incident and not worth holding a grudge over.
But I suspect it is just because you don't teach WW2 to 1st and 2nd graders. (We can bust their bubble when they get to be teenagers)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
sven6345789
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Sandviken, Sweden

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by sven6345789 »

Since you have a Homer, there was one Simpson Episode (I believe the one with camp crusty) where the summer starts, the children run out of school, and the teacher appears in the door, saying
Teacher:"Wait, you haven't heard yet how WW2 ended!!!!"
a moment of silence
Teacher:"WE WON!!!"
Children:(rioting on the street):"USA,USA,USA....
[:D]
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
ruger1997
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:01 pm

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by ruger1997 »

Revisionist history occuring again.
Damien Thorn
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:20 am

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

Hi, Well Matt visted Japan in 1853. 151 years ago so I guess we now consider WWII a mere incident and not worth holding a grudge over.

In the overall history of Japan and the United States, 5 years is a very small period. We tend to over-emphisize those years because it makes for great gaming but the public at large couldn't really care less. If you go to Japan today the only remaining references to the war are the atomic bomb memorial parks. If you ask most American high-schoolers about WW2 you will be extremely lucky if they can even guess correctly what decade it took place in. Some of them can't even get the century right.
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by tsimmonds »

...5 years is a very small period...
Five years (four actually) fighting the war, plus twenty years of both countries believing it was inevitable and preparing themselves to fight it.....[;)]
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by rogueusmc »

"Those who don't know history is doomed to repeat it"...I bebieve that was Ben Franklin
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5085
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn
If you ask most American high-schoolers about WW2 you will be extremely lucky if they can even guess correctly what decade it took place in. Some of them can't even get the century right.

I've read that many of those kids believe that America's enemies in WWII had been Germany, Japan, and Russia... Cold War propaganda worked! [8|]
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

"Those who don't know history is doomed to repeat it"...I bebieve that was Ben Franklin


"Who ignores history is condemned to relive it" - Georges Santayana.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

"Those who don't know history is doomed to repeat it"...I bebieve that was Ben Franklin
Actually it was George Santayana. Funny how just about anything that makes sense can sound like BF[;)]
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn
If you ask most American high-schoolers about WW2 you will be extremely lucky if they can even guess correctly what decade it took place in. Some of them can't even get the century right.

Sh1t. There probably aren't seven American high school kids who could identify which decade they currently live in. Maybe three or four participants in these forums could...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Becket
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:42 pm

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by Becket »

Of course, if you live in the area you may have also heard the protests about the new Smithsonian Aviation museum (I'm forgetting the name), namely the display featuring the Enola Gay. The protesters believe that it is horrible, just horrible, that the museum has the Enola Gay on display, but doesn't have a presentation on the horrors of what America did when they dropped the Atom Bomb.

Not one of the protesters has mentioned including anything regarding Japanese atrocities in China (Nanking, vivisection of living Chinese without anesthetic to see the progress of chemical and biological weapons, and other horrors), nor anything regarding Japanese agression, nor anything regarding Japanese treatment of US P.O.W.s (where G.I.s faced a fatality rate several times higher than if captured by the Germans -- Bataan, etc.), nor the assessments that invasion of Japan would likely cost the lives of at least a million US soldiers, and several times that number of Japanese. And, since the Russians are now our best friends, no mention would be made of the need to stop a Soviet invasion of the Japanese islands.

In sum, if you live in this area, you will see that WWII in the Pacific is largely forgotten, except to the extent that the U.S. can be excoriated for something it did during the war. No one would dare suggest that a museum display of planes that carpet bombed German cities be accompanied by a presentation of the horrors doled out to the residents. If someone did say that, their voice would be quickly silenced by Holocaust survivors and their descendents (rightly so!). Not so for the Pacific War, where for whatever reason, there is so much less understanding of the nature of the human tragedy.

(BTW, I frankly would have no problem with adding a wall to the Enola Gay display that showed the horrors of the A-bomb...so long as that wall first put the entire event in context and educated visitors on the points I mention above, so that the viewer can make an educated decision regarding whether Truman made the right decision. Heck, to be complete you can even include the misgivings of Manhattan project scientists regarding the effect of the bomb if it was dropped. I also didn't mean to write anything nearly this long.)

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by Brady »

Granted I left school some 15 years ago, I never once in Collage or Public school had any class that was required that even mentioned WW2. Prety sad huh.


Though in 6th Grade my Teacher was amased at my Interest in WW2, I always gave reports and oral speaches on the subject when ever we were suposed to do such things and neaded to pic the material ourselfs...She had her dad come and tell us about his time on Guadacanal..and Show us all a little souvinear he brought home in his duffel bag...a Freaking Japanese LMG! were all WIDE eyed that day:) She also schedualed a field trip to the Oregon Military Museum, and that day I held my first MP 40:)
Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Philwd
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:22 am
Location: Arizona

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by Philwd »

My gym teacher in high school was a Marine combat engineer. His unit was scheduled to be in the first wave if we had invaded. Of course he thinks the bomb is the best invention ever.

I will teach my son about the war. My wife hates my military collection but my collection of books will be out for him to read. And he will be highly encouraged[:D]. I have sworn he will not be one of the ignorant masses. He can right now at 5 yrs old pick Guadalcanal off the globe.[:D] Where as he put it ; the "bad enemy planes were".

Quark
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by mogami »

My 8 and 9 year old nephews know a lot more about WW2 then their friends. Of course I have them playing SPWAW and they watched me test UV and WITP. They too refer to all Axis countries as "The bad guys"
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by tsimmonds »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

My 8 and 9 year old nephews know a lot more about WW2 then their friends. Of course I have them playing SPWAW and they watched me test UV and WITP. They too refer to all Axis countries as "The bad guys"
THe Axis of Bad Guys.....those were the good ol'days, eh?
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

My seven year old when I asked him how I can take back lunga recomends that
I should use the ION cannon from his command and conquer game to nuetralize the jap
threat.
We are spawning the future of wargamers as we speak...[:D]
He can't wait to learn Gary Grigsby's new World War Game...
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by crsutton »

I was born in 1954, just nine years after the war ended and the Korean conflict was just over. Yet, as a child this was all acient history to me as it should have been. Try asking a 19 year old about the Vietnam war (something that was so important to my generation), and you will usually draw a blank or at best a slew of myth and misinformation. My nephew is showing an interest in WWII history through the games I play. Right now he does not really know or care too much about it, he just likes the games. I think I prefer it that way. There will be time for him to learn later.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

I don't shelter him from the facts he has been playing wargames since he
was a little over two and had his first computor at three, he now reads lots of books from the school library that covers the subjects.
Might be his future calling and I am OK with that...[8D]
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”