vanishing subs

Uncommon Valor: Campaign for the South Pacific covers the campaigns for New Guinea, New Britain, New Ireland and the Solomon chain.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Tankerace, siRkid

Post Reply
User avatar
afspret
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:05 pm
Location: Hanahan, SC

vanishing subs

Post by afspret »

[&:]Has anyone had submarines just totally disappear from the game? I'm the Allies playing against the AI in Scen 17 and have had 3 of 5 subs I sent to patrol the Truk area disappear from the game. Two were sent as single patrols at different times and the third was part of a two boat wolfpack. I can't find them anywhere on the map and they are not on the list of ships either at Pearl or 'enroute'.
John E. McCallum
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: vanishing subs

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

Sometimes they blend in with the letters on the map
and I have a hard time finding them but never dissapear
like that.
Also if you hunt in packs like that you get a detection penalty
so it is not reccomended.[:-]
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
User avatar
rogueusmc
Posts: 4583
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:21 pm
Location: Texas...what country are YOU from?
Contact:

RE: vanishing subs

Post by rogueusmc »

only one sub can attack in a given hex. Even if running two TF....only one will attack.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Image
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: vanishing subs

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

also you want to check the list all taskforces button to see
were they are located not the ship availability screen from
the intelligence box.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: vanishing subs

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

I had two sub task forces today attack the same cruiser in the same
hex one was laying a minefield at the ambush hex of my other sub
and they both fired on her with one hit.

.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
User avatar
afspret
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:05 pm
Location: Hanahan, SC

RE: vanishing subs

Post by afspret »

Thanks, and I know about blending in thing, but in each case I scanned all the way down from Truk to Tulagi (their home port) on several following turns but never find could them. Also, could damage levels have anything to do with this, I know the two single boat patrols were at 11 and 12? I'm not sure what the damage level was of the third, but the other boat it was in TF with is still in the game and on its way back to port with a damage level of 15.
John E. McCallum
DJAndrews
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Toronto, ON, CA

RE: vanishing subs

Post by DJAndrews »

In my experience, subs will try to return to base if they receive damage or run low on fuel, only on the first turn after the incident. After that, if you it under human control and positioned it where you want, it will stay there indefinitely, regardless of damage level (I often stay on station with sys damage of 25 or so).

There is one unlikely possibility. On rare occasions, ships sink, presumably due to storms or shipwreck and show up on the sunk list with a blank in the 'weapon type' column. This may not show up immediately due to FOW. Keep an eye on the ship sunk list.
User avatar
crsutton
Posts: 9590
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:56 pm
Location: Maryland

RE: vanishing subs

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: DJAndrews



There is one unlikely possibility. On rare occasions, ships sink, presumably due to storms or shipwreck and show up on the sunk list with a blank in the 'weapon type' column. This may not show up immediately due to FOW. Keep an eye on the ship sunk list.
[3/28/2004 7:17:18 AM [/quote]

I have yet to see this.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
User avatar
Rendova
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Atlanta

RE: vanishing subs

Post by Rendova »

I saw a blank "reason sunk" once vs the AI but I didn't know why, is the random ship sinking rule in the Manual?
ruger1997
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:01 pm

RE: vanishing subs

Post by ruger1997 »

I have seen it once as well.....wondered what caused it.....haven't seen it since though. I think it is an ok realism effect though.....
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: vanishing subs

Post by mogami »

Hi, If one of your ships sinks there is no delay (FOW) before you see it in sunk ship list.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Post Reply

Return to “Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific”