Why no Pourpos Built Kamakise Types? and Units?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
mbatch729
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 8:00 am
Location: North Carolina

RE: BradySpeak

Post by mbatch729 »

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

I have a much bigger problem with the people who don't know the difference between "their, they're, and there" and "to, too, and two".
Don't forget than and then, accept and except, affect and effect, the list goes on. I'm a programmer by trade, but have spent a fair amount of time in this area just to try to appear more professional. Time well spent IMHO. For those who care, pick up a copy of Strunk and White, The Elements of Style. It is an excellent reference.
Later,
FC3(SW) Batch
USS Iowa
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: BradySpeak

Post by pasternakski »

There's only one thing stupider than a spellchecker, and that's a grammar checker.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
mdiehl
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: BradySpeak

Post by mdiehl »

A programmer who's hooked on Strunk & White.[8|]

My personal peeve is people whose use the phrase "and/or."
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: BradySpeak

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Damien Thorn

Spelling will be a lost art in a decade anyway (if it isn't already) with automated spell-checkers like Microsoft Word. If you don't want to proof-read your posts, you can always type in Word first adn then cut and paste into the forum. I don't think it's necessary though; I can read the posts here just fine.
Actually these don't help unless you can get close enough to the right spelling for
the software to figure out what you are trying to spell. I can understand all of
Brady's logic in his early English Classes..., but what I can't understand is why
he hasn't made some attempt to improve it over the intervening years. One
would think that the simple act of reading decent prose would rub off after a while.
It is annoying that someone who obviously has a lot to say is apparently unwilling
to spend a bit of extra time in correcting at least the most obvious gaffes in his
spelling. And a bit insulting that he doesn't consider these forums worthy of a bit
of extra effort. We all make mistakes, and I'm certainly as guilty as anyone of
stray typos and miss-spellings. But Brady seems to take pride in them, and in
forcing the rest of us to wade through them.
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: BradySpeak

Post by Brady »

"One thing I'm curious about is when you transcribe text from a written source into a post, how the **** do you manage to mis-spell the words that should be right in front of you? "


......I cant Type either:), I nead to look at the keyboard, so I read a few sentances remember them and then type them out, then I double check it to make shure I got the context right, when re reading stuff I just wrote often I look only for the words to be the same and dont pay attention entirely to the letters in them..I am in a hury, it can at times be very time consuming for me to transcribe text. If you think I have some mistakes when I am done you should see the stuff I fix:)
Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: BradySpeak

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Imagine a Bell X-1 piloted by Zippy the Clown.

LOL[:D]

Thanks for the elaboration guys.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”