Old Old Old Question

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Toothpick95
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Texas

Old Old Old Question

Post by Toothpick95 »

Hey, this is an old question concerning a VERY old gmae, but I figured you guys are the experts.

On the ORIGINAL SP:2 game (Modern War) the sound files come in ".MEL Fles" any idea on what I need to play them, and more specifically how I can replace them with my own files, (Wavs or something else) ?


Thanks...I Ilove the work you guys do on SP:WAW, but recently had a taste for somthing modern, but SP:2 is badly in need of overhaul.

Thanks again

Toothpick
BryanMelvin
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by BryanMelvin »

Originally posted by Toothpick95:
Hey, this is an old question concerning a VERY old gmae, but I figured you guys are the experts.

On the ORIGINAL SP:2 game (Modern War) the sound files come in ".MEL Fles" any idea on what I need to play them, and more specifically how I can replace them with my own files, (Wavs or something else) ?


Thanks...I Ilove the work you guys do on SP:WAW, but recently had a taste for somthing modern, but SP:2 is badly in need of overhaul.

Thanks again

Toothpick
We still offer SP2 and SP3 scenarios on the SP Arsenal but the demand for these SP2 and SP3 scenarios is in slowing down a bit. I like SP2 but it needs a complete overhaul!

MEL files are DOS related and I know of no way to convert these over to WAV so that these still work in game system. With the advent of MS ME, Office 2000, and the future release of new MS system in october where you need to get permission to use different non MS software from MS - it looks grim for many dos based games. I will not post what I think of MS here on this forum but save that for the general discussion page and I hope all of you will do the same too :D
Toothpick95
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 06, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Texas

Post by Toothpick95 »

:confused:

Now that does not make sense......obviously WAW which is based on SP2 uses Wavs......Somehow one ought to be able to play the silly things to figure out what file is for what sound. That way I can replace the lame ones with somthing more realistic.


Anybody help!


Toothpick
User avatar
Warhorse
Posts: 5382
Joined: Fri May 12, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Birdsboro, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by Warhorse »

You need to get a program called Cooledit96. This will allow you to sample/edit the .mel files, however, the change to wav in SPWAW was coded, NOT just replacing, and while you can change the files in SP2, you can't, to my knowledge, add new ones. I could be wrong there, but there is no way, with any editors, to assign a sound to the old SP series games. There were various editors, with a slot for a sound assignment, but wasn't working yet. Hope this helps. Private mail me, I will send instructions on how to edit the mel files, Scott Grasse had a write-up that I copied, you can't get it now as far as I know...
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”