Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs? Well, there are a couple of reasons. Those DDs are a royal pain to the couple of subs I have in the area. They haven't sunk any of my subs (yet) but the damage caused is keeping them (all 2 of them) in the repair yard more often than I'd like. The initial reason was to take care of some of the ASW forces there. Catching the full supply convoys was a nice bonus. It hurts Darwin, which, I suspect, was the destination of the convoys.

The second reason is more strategic. I want Ted to react to me as long as possible in different areas as spread out as possible. If I can get him to divert assets to back water areas, then I'm happy. MKB isn't going to last against any Allied carrier TFs, but in an area where he doesn't have much, they can definitely cause damage, with little risk. I'm confident that the 2 damaged DDs are gone. I hope to get a clean sweep tomorrow and sink the remaining ships in the area.

So, MKB is going to continue to appear here and there to keep Ted guessing and looking over his shoulder. It's also extra experience for the air crews too. In the above attack, I ended up losing 1 Zero, 1 Val and 1 Kate, all to op losses with a single Val pilot WIA. I'll take that.

One other thing about MKB. They have 162 very good fighter pilots on board. Over time, I cull some of the very good pilots and replace them with 70+/70+ pilots. That will give me a stronger pool to replace any KB pilots I need to replace.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20760
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by BBfanboy »

RangerJoe wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:11 am Try having Canton and other bases stockpile oil to try keep it from going to Hong Kong.

Just keep pulling resources from Korea as much as is possible but don't have returning cargo ships come back empty. Even returning transports can haul resources. If they have to travel then at least have them earn their fuel.
I have never been able to haul resources on an AP/xAP/APD type unless it had an xAK/AK type in the Transport TF. Of course, most of Japan's Transports are xAKs converted to carry more troops, but I thought I should mention it for newer players on the Allied side.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

BBfanboy wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 3:27 pm
RangerJoe wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 12:11 am Try having Canton and other bases stockpile oil to try keep it from going to Hong Kong.

Just keep pulling resources from Korea as much as is possible but don't have returning cargo ships come back empty. Even returning transports can haul resources. If they have to travel then at least have them earn their fuel.
I have never been able to haul resources on an AP/xAP/APD type unless it had an xAK/AK type in the Transport TF. Of course, most of Japan's Transports are xAKs converted to carry more troops, but I thought I should mention it for newer players on the Allied side.
Good info, BB. I have found this to be true as well on the Japanese side. Often, if I'm sending a unit to Truk, I'll use xAKs instead of xAPs so I can detour to Babeldaob to pick up resources or fuel.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

A little update.

A couple of days ago, a new Chinese unit appeared in Chungking. It was the 10 Chinese Base Force. They do have a small infantry contingent (40 squads, I think) but what it appears with is minor in the grand scheme of things. It's definitely much better than a large infantry corps. I've been pretty lucky lately.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

4 Feb 43

Sub War

I-121 and I-122 entered Rennell Island and dropped off their 80 mines to hopefully cause a headache (and some holes in ships) to Ted. On the way out, they ran into an ASW TF. I-121 unsuccessfully tried to torpedo a DD and took some minor damage in return. They're headed back to Truk for repairs and to prepare for their next mission.

5 Fleet

The BB TF bombarded Adak a day late. :roll: They're headed back to Attu to replenish and return. I'll set them to stop within range of Adak and then arrive the next day, when I'll attack again. I think the end is near for the Allies.

4 Fleet

KB 2 didn't launch against that enemy TF that's still working its way west. The two TFs are only 6 hexes apart and steaming toward each other. I think they didn't attack because the weather in the Allied hex was heavy rain. I hope to engage tomorrow.

KB 2.jpg
KB 2.jpg (206.95 KiB) Viewed 362 times

SE Fleet

The Georges and Nicks successfully intercepted some 4E bombers over Lunga today. Ten Georges and 37 Nicks caught 7 B-17Es, shot down 3 and turned the rest into Swiss cheese. A handful remained after that engagement and encountered 24 more heavy bombers. They shot down a B-24D before being driven off. A lot of the planes were damaged (not surprisingly), but none were lost. I pulled out the flyable planes back to the relative safety of Rabaul. Let's see what Ted does tomorrow. I will take 4 heavy bombers shot down plus a few more op losses for no loss.

SRA

MKB had an interesting day today. MKB 1 moved east in the deep water toward Pt. Headland and MKB 2 headed south just a couple hexes. I did that in case there were survivors from yesterday to catch them whichever way they fled. It turned out there were no survivors from yesterday. I'm not surprised. Every ship that wasn't sunk outright was hit by at least 2x 250 kg bombs and heavily damaged with heavy fires.

Today, MKB 1 found two TFs in Pt. Headland composed of 3 DDs (Nizam, Van Ghent and Encounter). The first attack of 39 Vals (with 23 Zeros escorting) left Nizam burning and the other two barely afloat. Immediately after, I heard sinking sounds. That was Van Ghent. The second attack of 23 Zeros and 54 Vals put down the other two DDs. Clean sweep so far.

I did see that there are no more TFs in the area but Pt. Hedland has 7 ships in port, possibly a CL, an AS, 2 CMc and 3 x AKs. Tomorrow, I'm setting everything for naval attack and putting the Kates on a secondary mission of port attack. Let's see what happens...

So far, the score is 5 DDs, a PG and a TK plus some cargo ships, all for 1 DB pilot WIA.

Pt. Hedlands airfield is currently level 8. I was worried about enemy fighters but I recon the bases around Darwin and see no fighters there. I also noticed a TF at Darwin. I'm putting 27 Nells at Saumlaki on naval attack hoping to attack whatever is there. They'll have some Oscars as escort. Let's see how that works out...

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

Today's bombing/bombardment destroyed 27 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 3790 (+267)
China: 2026 (-61)
Enemy strength: 270k (-5k)
Enemy units: 90 units (no change)
Guns: 435 (+24)

Other Stuff

I made some air adjustments today:

I increased the Ki-46-III factory from 15 to 30.

I converted the Glen factory (no longer needed) to D4Y1 Judy and increased its size to 30. In a month, I'll upgrade it to the D4Y2 R&D. That will accelerate it by 3 months to 1/44. Then I'll upgrade the factory to the D4Y3. By then, I'll have 500+ Ha-33 engines in the pool to accelerate the R&D. Also, I'll add 4 more factories from the Tojo when the Ha-43 pool runs out. So, the advancement will be even sooner. I'll figure that out later when I have more time.

Finally, I increased the Ha-33 engine factories from 150 to 210. I'll need a lot more of them.

On this day, my Dad turned 26. He was in the States training and preparing for deployment to England and then to France during Operation Overlord. I'm glad he survived the ordeal or I wouldn't be here spouting all my blather about this wonderful game.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
sfatula
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 pm
Location: Calera, OK
Contact:

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by sfatula »

Wow, 26! My Dad was ancient at 24. He was in a national guard unit at D-Day, many were 18 or younger (they lied). They were all hyped up and invincible until that fateful day. Very few survived.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

My Dad was like a lot of others ... Dec 9, 1941 he enlisted with the rest of his high school football team. He was a month from his 17th Bday ... as noted above, a lot of kids did ... although he was one of the younger ones that particular day in his town.

My grandfather and great uncle both got federalized shortly after that. One was a Master Electrician and the other a Master Boilermaker. The brothers were stationed for most of the war at Great Lakes, my great uncle was also a vet from WWI.



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
erstad
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:40 pm
Location: Midwest USA

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by erstad »

Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:50 am KB 2 did a high speed run east out of Truk yesterday. A couple of days ago, my Emilies spotted an Allied TF, seemingly heading SW toward the Gilbert Islands. And it appeared to be cargo ships. Really odd.
That's pretty close to a direct route from WCUSA or PH to Oz; could be a TF that he forgot to set a waypoint on. That does happen. (don't ask me how I know this :? )
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

erstad wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 12:06 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:50 am KB 2 did a high speed run east out of Truk yesterday. A couple of days ago, my Emilies spotted an Allied TF, seemingly heading SW toward the Gilbert Islands. And it appeared to be cargo ships. Really odd.
That's pretty close to a direct route from WCUSA or PH to Oz; could be a TF that he forgot to set a waypoint on. That does happen. (don't ask me how I know this :? )
Yep, that's exactly what happened. They were all E2C Liberty ships and all hauling fuel. Big bonfire!
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

PaxMondo wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:34 am My Dad was like a lot of others ... Dec 9, 1941 he enlisted with the rest of his high school football team. He was a month from his 17th Bday ... as noted above, a lot of kids did ... although he was one of the younger ones that particular day in his town.

My grandfather and great uncle both got federalized shortly after that. One was a Master Electrician and the other a Master Boilermaker. The brothers were stationed for most of the war at Great Lakes, my great uncle was also a vet from WWI.



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
My Dad (Army - ETO) and two uncles (PTO) were WWII vets. I also had a grandfather (who lived with us) who was a WWI vet from the Italian Army! He was wounded and immigrated here after he recovered.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

sfatula wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 12:01 am Wow, 26! My Dad was ancient at 24. He was in a national guard unit at D-Day, many were 18 or younger (they lied). They were all hyped up and invincible until that fateful day. Very few survived.
Which unit?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

5 Feb 43

Sub War

The Ch-18 caught the Dutch sub O23 and hit her twice with DCs forcing her to the surface. She was hit a couple of times by deck guns and slipped beneath the waves. She's reported as sunk but I can still see her. Interestingly, none of the ships in the ASW TF used any gun ammo, but she was hit by guns. Odd.

The I-36 caught an empty convoy headed back to the States and torpedoed an xAK leaving her heavily damaged. I heard sinking sounds immediately after.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

KB 2 struck the US convoy a hex SW of Nonuti in the morning with 25 Vals, 25 Kates and a 41 Zero escort. They had a field day hitting 9 of 10 ships targeted, sinking 2 and leaving 7 heavily damaged and fiercely burning. They all had fuel aboard. I'm not sure if it was only the 200 capacity fuel tank or if the whole ship was loaded with fuel.

In the afternoon, 51 Vals and 48 Kates escorted by 41 Zeros struck again. By the time it was over, a total of 8 ships were sunk (including the morning attack) and 7 more were damaged and burning fiercely. Again, they all were hauling fuel.

It's interesting that 6 of the 7 damaged ships from the first attack weren't seen during the second attack.

I heard sinking sounds throughout the day and can see 4 ships. I'll try and get the survivors tomorrow.

I lost a Val and Kate (KIA each) to flak.

Ted sent a snide comment about how the lost ships will be replaced in a week. I'd be crying if that happened to me.

SE Fleet

A squadron of Wildcats and then 6 Corsairs swept Tulagi. I had pulled out the working Nicks but I probably would have done ok had I left them. At any rate, that's all he can muster from Russell Island right now after the bombardment a couple of days ago.

Later, 3 flights of 4E bombers totaling 20 aircraft hit Tulagi's airfield destroying 3 Nicks on the ground and leaving light airfield damage. I suspect he'll spend the next couple of days hitting Tulagi instead of Lunga. Only 20 bombers instead of the normal 37 today... I figure there are about 10 that are still repairing. Unless he has replacements to add...

SRA

MKB 1 & 2 hit Pt. Hedland's port in the afternoon heavily damaging 2 xAP, an AG and a sub (S-45) and causing minor damage to the port. I had set only the Kates to hit the port, but the attack included 56 Kates and 33 Vals, escorted by 54 Zeros. I still see 10 ships in port. I'll hit them tomorrow, and will include all the Vals this time. The two CVEs (Taiyo and Unyo) had to head back to Soerabaja because their sorties have been depleted.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

Today's bombing/bombardment destroyed 28 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 3983 (+193)
China: 1982 (-44)
Enemy strength: 273k (+3k)
Enemy units: 91 units (+1)
Guns: 401 (-34)

Other Stuff

Nothing to report.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19755
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by RangerJoe »

Kindly ;) reply to Ted that while the ships may be replaced in a week the cargoes are gone and you have those permanent VPs! :twisted: Unless you think that will make him more careful . . .
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

RangerJoe wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 5:24 pm Kindly ;) reply to Ted that while the ships may be replaced in a week the cargoes are gone and you have those permanent VPs! :twisted: Unless you think that will make him more careful . . .
:lol:
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
sfatula
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 pm
Location: Calera, OK
Contact:

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by sfatula »

Mike Solli wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:50 pm
Which unit?
29th division, 116th infantry.
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

sfatula wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:43 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 2:50 pm
Which unit?
29th division, 116th infantry.
OMG! That's amazing. Which company? I'm really interested in doing a little research on that. He landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16715
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

6 Feb 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

The BB bombardment TF will hit tomorrow followed by a deliberate assault.

4 Fleet

KB 2 sent only 15 Vals after the ships today, spotting 2 new AKs. They sank one and heavily damaged the other. Sinking sounds immediately after the attack was probably the second one going down. Intel says there are still 3 survivors. I hope to get them tomorrow.

SE Fleet

An ACM hit one of my sub laid mines at Rennell Island. Not the big ship I had hoped for, but I do know he's going to eventually put some of his own mines there. I heard sinking after that, so I suspect she went down.

Eleven Dauntlesses and 31x 4Es hit Tulagi's airfield again. I wish the Dauntlesses would go after Lunga because I have a dozen 20 mm cannon there waiting for them. Lunga's fort is up to 2.81.

SRA

MKB sent 58 Vals and 56 Kates after Pt. Hedland's harbor sinking an AG and the S-45. They also left an ACM, an xAK and 3 xAPs all heavily damaged and burning fiercely. At least one of them sank after the attack. I'll attack again tomorrow to try and finish them all off. I lost a Val (KIA) to flak in the attack.

Burma

Six more Catalinas went after one of my TFs at Cox's Bazaar dropping off some AS. Thirty-five Tojos met them, shot down two and drove the others off with damage.

China

The bombers didn't attack today. The bombardment destroyed 23 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 4314 (+331)
China: 1975 (-7)
Enemy strength: 278k (+5k)
Enemy units: 91 units (no change)
Guns: 410 (+9)

The resting divisions are marching back to Chungking. The attack will occur when they arrive.

The new Chinese unit that arrived yesterday was the 5 Construction Regiment. No combat troops! Yay!

Other Stuff

The B6N2 Jill R&D advanced to 3/43 and is expected to become operational around 2/20/43. Three of the 7 R&D factories will become operational and the remaining 4 will continue with Jill R&D.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 8:35 pm 4 Feb 43
I increased the Ki-46-III factory from 15 to 30.
Surprised you were able to wait so long ... me? This is the BEST recon in the game bar none. I build these ASAP and keep all of my recon units fully stocked. I tend to lose a lot of these because I consciously put them in harm's way frequently. There is no substitute for accurate, timely intel and IJ must rely on Recon and NavSearch to offset the US HUGE advantages in Intel.

So Dinah and Mavis/Emily costs are rather big for me ... and the G2M3 which I use extensively as Night Bomber and NavSearch.





:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11239
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2026 2:12 pm Some of you may be asking why I'm "risking" MKB on a wild goose chase to get some cargo ships, a tanker and a few old DDs?
Actually, .... NO. I think it a great idea and would likely do the same with similar circumstances ... Ted can't know whether this is the MKB or the KB unless he gets a solid spotting on you. So, I think it a great use ....



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
sfatula
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:17 pm
Location: Calera, OK
Contact:

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by sfatula »

Mike Solli wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:47 am
sfatula wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 8:43 pm 29th division, 116th infantry.
OMG! That's amazing. Which company? I'm really interested in doing a little research on that. He landed in the first wave at Omaha Beach.
1st Battalion, D Company. The book Beyond the Beachhead was written by a guy in his company, Bob Slaughter. I met him and the few other survivors many times at an annual reunion. Great guys.
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”