Campaign Notes

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
lylybrown
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2026 9:45 am

Campaign Notes

Post by lylybrown »

Do you keep notes while playing a long strategy campaign? I started writing down a few things during my recent campaigns, mainly major battles, mistakes I made, units that performed unexpectedly well, and decisions that seemed minor at the time but caused problems several turns later. It has actually made me notice patterns in how I play. I’m curious how other players handle this. Do you keep a proper campaign journal, take screenshots, save important turns, or just rely on memory? I’d also be interested to hear whether looking back at old campaigns has changed the way you approach new ones
Enjoying strategy games and learning from every campaign. Infinite Craft
User avatar
cpdeyoung
Posts: 5416
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Campaign Notes

Post by cpdeyoung »

For important games:

I start a document with my word processor and keep a turn by turn copy of screen captures and text. I capture big battles, status updates, production numbers, leadership advances and situation maps.

I do find patterns over time.

I also engage my AI to discuss the game. It is not perfect on understanding the rules, trained on some junk I am afraid, but it does a pretty good job of providing a discussion partner. It remembers what is going on and learns the personalities of the other players. It is fun having "somebody" to talk to as I play. It finds web content that might have value. I enjoy asking it questions about historical strategy at various points in the game. It is also great on presenting data on equipment I might research and build.

Between the document and the AI thread I have an enhanced experience. Pencil and paper work too, and I kept detailed logs since 1960 of board and counters games. The new way is better.

Chuck
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”