Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint
Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
The next Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War tournament is now open for registration. The Summer Tournament will begin on July 27th and take you through three missions.
You can register for the tournament here: https://www.matrixgames.com/tournaments
You can register for the tournament here: https://www.matrixgames.com/tournaments
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Just realized round duration says 21 days; but it also says next round on 3rd of August. Not sure if that's a typo or a bug?
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
I joined the tournament based on this (original) post. But I can not find any other announcements, pages or anything about this tournament...
I am no doubt missing something but any links would be appreciated.
(Meanwhile having fun battling over Soest).
I am no doubt missing something but any links would be appreciated.
(Meanwhile having fun battling over Soest).
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Look under the community tab up top between store and my page, there's a tournament link in the drop down for all tournaments.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde
*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde
*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Duh.....
Thanks
Thanks
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
I enlisted in the tournament, and I got an email telling me that the challenge vs. my first opponent was ready. However, when I loaded the games, I noticed that they were already ready to play three days before.
I don't know if you should only start when you get the "READY? GO!" email or if there was a mistake and I got the mail three days later than when it was supposed to arrive.
I don't know if you should only start when you get the "READY? GO!" email or if there was a mistake and I got the mail three days later than when it was supposed to arrive.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
I suspect the email you got 3 days in was actually a reminder email and something went wrong with the original email. Not to stress about it too much though, 3 week rounds should leave you with still enough time.RFalvo69 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2026 12:00 pm I enlisted in the tournament, and I got an email telling me that the challenge vs. my first opponent was ready. However, when I loaded the games, I noticed that they were already ready to play three days before.
I don't know if you should only start when you get the "READY? GO!" email or if there was a mistake and I got the mail three days later than when it was supposed to arrive.
Kevin
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Yes, both I and my opponent are playing and having fun (nice scenario for both parts, BTW).
I guess that the best thing to do is to check the MP status every day after you enlist so you can be sure that you start when the game is ready. No sweat.
I guess that the best thing to do is to check the MP status every day after you enlist so you can be sure that you start when the game is ready. No sweat.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
The reminder emails haven't started working till like 3 days ago for me. I had to check status every night/morning.
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
We (Galahad and me) finished our games. Seems we both are much better Soviet commanders than Nato ones...
I got one question.. in my final report (for the Nato side), it staes that I inflicted xxxx points of losses on the enemy, and secured victory locations worth 0 VP's. But looking at the map, I have one VP location "colored blue" (the one above Hiddingsen).
Is this WAS?
I got one question.. in my final report (for the Nato side), it staes that I inflicted xxxx points of losses on the enemy, and secured victory locations worth 0 VP's. But looking at the map, I have one VP location "colored blue" (the one above Hiddingsen).
Is this WAS?
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Bertram wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2026 11:04 am We (Galahad and me) finished our games. Seems we both are much better Soviet commanders than Nato ones...
As I understand from previous games, control of that VP location goes to me because I had more units/points surrounding it. However, game says so on the final report, although it didn't on my report, directly it was colored redI got one question.. in my final report (for the Nato side), it staes that I inflicted xxxx points of losses on the enemy, and secured victory locations worth 0 VP's. But looking at the map, I have one VP location "colored blue" (the one above Hiddingsen).
Is this WAS?
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Hope to see another Winter tourney - just got into the game and was excited to see that these are hosted. Would love to get some experience outside of my usual opponent.
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
It seems that either my opponent (BYE) is not playing or I'm not getting my second game. I check every day, but there is still no result.
To be clear, I literally do not have the game(s) appearing in my MP screen (the first round finished with my two games completed - I got a grand total of THREE stars of evaluation in TWO games
) And, right now, my second round score is 1500 - which I feel is a bit unfair if I don't play.
To be clear, I literally do not have the game(s) appearing in my MP screen (the first round finished with my two games completed - I got a grand total of THREE stars of evaluation in TWO games
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
A BYE is not getting a game because you're the odd man out. And 1500 points is the value we picked to keep a player in the running to still be able to at least podium finish a tournament. We don't want a player to get knocked out of winning because they got a BYE round. So don't stress about it. It might mean you're getting a better score than you otherwise would have, but note that the BYE value is still only a 4th place score for the first round of the tournament. Things will level off as the tournament gets to the end of the third round.RFalvo69 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2026 10:07 am It seems that either my opponent (BYE) is not playing or I'm not getting my second game. I check every day, but there is still no result.
To be clear, I literally do not have the game(s) appearing in my MP screen (the first round finished with my two games completed - I got a grand total of THREE stars of evaluation in TWO games) And, right now, my second round score is 1500 - which I feel is a bit unfair if I don't play.
And if somehow a BYE value ends up being higher than the average winning score, we can adjust it for the next tournament.
Kevin
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Dunno if this is the right place to post. I wanted to say to my new opponent, "runinmonkey", that I'm late in starting our games because I was caught between returning from Paris and reopening my restaurant. I'm now locked and ready! Sorry for this delay.
"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"
(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")
-
Uberhauskaninichen
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:18 pm
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Currently my score for my matches against Monygham show 1208 at 1920 UTC-4, I believe it should be 908, as I currently only have a marginal victory as NATO. Could you please check the scoring. I've always wanted to take first place but I should at least submit a decent bribe.
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
The in game scoring can differ slightly as it doesn't account for bonuses the same way and we score things slightly differently for tournaments. If you've gotten the match close enough to the end of the scenario to be able to end the scenario now we automatically give both players 100 points. Further, for tournament scoring we do not take away the Sudden Death bonus (knocking down the opponent to <30% starting strength) if you yourself are in Sudden Death. And last, we also changed it so that winners get the score of a full 7 star win to help the winners bubble to the top of the bracket. So your tactical win will score as a decisive victory in the tournament scoring (this is the dominant reason BYE values went up this tournament compared to previously).Uberhauskaninichen wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2026 11:23 pm Currently my score for my matches against Monygham show 1208 at 1920 UTC-4, I believe it should be 908, as I currently only have a marginal victory as NATO. Could you please check the scoring. I've always wanted to take first place but I should at least submit a decent bribe.
Kevin
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Programmer at On Target Simulations
Re: Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War Summer Tournament
Thanks for the summer tournament. My feedback on this tournament:
-I loved the first scenario. Perfect for a tournament. Reinforces cannot be ambushed (or it would take a very fast and risky approach), artillery cannot have free shooting at the start of the scenario.
-Second scenario was fun, but as my opponent showed, the scenario can be exploited so the Soviet reinforcements (artillery) can be ambushed at their arrival and there is pretty much nothing you can do to stop it. Soviets still ended up winning, but ideally this wouldn't happen.
-I found the third scenario very fun (I think I played it in a campaign but with different OOB and time) but with two big issues I would change:
a) soviet artillery should come in a turn later to avoid free shooting at the NATO starting hexes. Both I and my opponent exploited this, and even though it works to decimate without any way to avoid that, I think it takes away from the fun/fairness of actually fighting.
b) reinforcements in the south can be ambushed as well, and it is simply a slog to deal with it in either side. It works in single player as you don't know where or when exactly they are coming, but in Multiplayer is either keep troops there to avoid them spawning or nearby to fight them once they come out. Ideally reinforcements can have a wider area to spawn and be player-selected. Or have them appear in areas that are in their rearguard (like scenario 1) and hard to reach by opponent troops or artillery.
-I loved the first scenario. Perfect for a tournament. Reinforces cannot be ambushed (or it would take a very fast and risky approach), artillery cannot have free shooting at the start of the scenario.
-Second scenario was fun, but as my opponent showed, the scenario can be exploited so the Soviet reinforcements (artillery) can be ambushed at their arrival and there is pretty much nothing you can do to stop it. Soviets still ended up winning, but ideally this wouldn't happen.
-I found the third scenario very fun (I think I played it in a campaign but with different OOB and time) but with two big issues I would change:
a) soviet artillery should come in a turn later to avoid free shooting at the NATO starting hexes. Both I and my opponent exploited this, and even though it works to decimate without any way to avoid that, I think it takes away from the fun/fairness of actually fighting.
b) reinforcements in the south can be ambushed as well, and it is simply a slog to deal with it in either side. It works in single player as you don't know where or when exactly they are coming, but in Multiplayer is either keep troops there to avoid them spawning or nearby to fight them once they come out. Ideally reinforcements can have a wider area to spawn and be player-selected. Or have them appear in areas that are in their rearguard (like scenario 1) and hard to reach by opponent troops or artillery.

