Question about Troop Transport by Air Transport: How excatly do I select the LCU I wish to transport?
In my current game I try to air transport an infantry battalion from Barcelona to Son San Juan, but it always select the first unit in the LCU list (there, the HQ unit), even if I click on the infantry battalion. No screen appears to select which LCU to select for transport.
Quick Questions Thread
Moderator: jwilkerson
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Click on the unit icon.WingedIncubus wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 2:13 am Question about Troop Transport by Air Transport: How excatly do I select the LCU I wish to transport?
In my current game I try to air transport an infantry battalion from Barcelona to Son San Juan, but it always select the first unit in the LCU list (there, the HQ unit), even if I click on the infantry battalion. No screen appears to select which LCU to select for transport.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
- WingedIncubus
- Posts: 717
- Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:17 am
Re: Quick Questions Thread
It worked! Thanks!RangerJoe wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 3:42 amClick on the unit icon.WingedIncubus wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2026 2:13 am Question about Troop Transport by Air Transport: How excatly do I select the LCU I wish to transport?
In my current game I try to air transport an infantry battalion from Barcelona to Son San Juan, but it always select the first unit in the LCU list (there, the HQ unit), even if I click on the infantry battalion. No screen appears to select which LCU to select for transport.
Of course, only 1 aircraft is available and it will take a while to transport that battalion... but I do it to learn about using it for when I play the other side.
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Hi! got a couple of questions about ground combat as a noob.
1 - Checking the manual, I'm not sure if I'm not getting how suppression works or the "use case" for it. The manual says that artillery and naval/air bombardment have a chance to suppress units and prevent devices from attacking for a day. It also says that defending units are not affected by this, but then follows that up with saying this is a good way to "prep" the target before you attack. I'm fairly new to the game but most of the combat I've had when attacking has been against defending units, specially against cities (where barrages seem to be quite innefective at causing damage given the fortification level and small-ish calliber of inf support guns, except to civilians apparently), is there any point then on doing artillery barrages before an attack? I'm gonna assume based on the manual that, if you manage to hit some units you'll cause casualties, disruption and fatigue but, again, causing casualties seems hard against well fortified units, I was doing this for suppression before an attack since that's what made sense but if defending units are not affected it's just a massive waste of ammunition no?
2 - Shorter one, is there some way of knowing the "command range" of an HQ unit? Until now I've been moving whole regiments as a single LCU (just spamming "rebuild parent) because the AV is higher but, reading the manual it looks like I can split the unit and leave the HQ and support units behind while keeping their command bonus (which makes sense). I'm guessing that a sensible distance of 2-3 hexes is fine for a RGT HQ but is there some way of knowing when a unit is outside of their parent command range or what the range is for an HQ? Are the support devices like field-hospitals and whatnot still used if they're in a different hex from other LCUs?
Thanks in advance! Maybe I'm going too much off reading the manual, which seems to be quite iffy, but I couldn't find any information about these two things elsewhere.
1 - Checking the manual, I'm not sure if I'm not getting how suppression works or the "use case" for it. The manual says that artillery and naval/air bombardment have a chance to suppress units and prevent devices from attacking for a day. It also says that defending units are not affected by this, but then follows that up with saying this is a good way to "prep" the target before you attack. I'm fairly new to the game but most of the combat I've had when attacking has been against defending units, specially against cities (where barrages seem to be quite innefective at causing damage given the fortification level and small-ish calliber of inf support guns, except to civilians apparently), is there any point then on doing artillery barrages before an attack? I'm gonna assume based on the manual that, if you manage to hit some units you'll cause casualties, disruption and fatigue but, again, causing casualties seems hard against well fortified units, I was doing this for suppression before an attack since that's what made sense but if defending units are not affected it's just a massive waste of ammunition no?
2 - Shorter one, is there some way of knowing the "command range" of an HQ unit? Until now I've been moving whole regiments as a single LCU (just spamming "rebuild parent) because the AV is higher but, reading the manual it looks like I can split the unit and leave the HQ and support units behind while keeping their command bonus (which makes sense). I'm guessing that a sensible distance of 2-3 hexes is fine for a RGT HQ but is there some way of knowing when a unit is outside of their parent command range or what the range is for an HQ? Are the support devices like field-hospitals and whatnot still used if they're in a different hex from other LCUs?
Thanks in advance! Maybe I'm going too much off reading the manual, which seems to be quite iffy, but I couldn't find any information about these two things elsewhere.
Re: Quick Questions Thread
I suggest that you read some AARs for help. I have answered some of these questions in my AARs.pictoline wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:23 am Hi! got a couple of questions about ground combat as a noob.
1 - Checking the manual, I'm not sure if I'm not getting how suppression works or the "use case" for it. The manual says that artillery and naval/air bombardment have a chance to suppress units and prevent devices from attacking for a day. It also says that defending units are not affected by this, but then follows that up with saying this is a good way to "prep" the target before you attack. I'm fairly new to the game but most of the combat I've had when attacking has been against defending units, specially against cities (where barrages seem to be quite innefective at causing damage given the fortification level and small-ish calliber of inf support guns, except to civilians apparently), is there any point then on doing artillery barrages before an attack? I'm gonna assume based on the manual that, if you manage to hit some units you'll cause casualties, disruption and fatigue but, again, causing casualties seems hard against well fortified units, I was doing this for suppression before an attack since that's what made sense but if defending units are not affected it's just a massive waste of ammunition no?
2 - Shorter one, is there some way of knowing the "command range" of an HQ unit? Until now I've been moving whole regiments as a single LCU (just spamming "rebuild parent) because the AV is higher but, reading the manual it looks like I can split the unit and leave the HQ and support units behind while keeping their command bonus (which makes sense). I'm guessing that a sensible distance of 2-3 hexes is fine for a RGT HQ but is there some way of knowing when a unit is outside of their parent command range or what the range is for an HQ? Are the support devices like field-hospitals and whatnot still used if they're in a different hex from other LCUs?
Thanks in advance! Maybe I'm going too much off reading the manual, which seems to be quite iffy, but I couldn't find any information about these two things elsewhere.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Hi, thanks for pointing those out, definitely a great source, I'll have to read through them. I couldn't find anything about the suppression of defensive units on them tho, maybe you could point me to those. For the HQ I'm guessing you mean this post: https://forums.matrixgames.com/viewtopi ... 3#p5264013. It helps a lot but I still need to wrap my head around some specifics that you didn't cover there or I'm not understanding based on what you said.RangerJoe wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:47 amI suggest that you read some AARs for help. I have answered some of these questions in my AARs.pictoline wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:23 am Hi! got a couple of questions about ground combat as a noob.
1 - Checking the manual, I'm not sure if I'm not getting how suppression works or the "use case" for it. The manual says that artillery and naval/air bombardment have a chance to suppress units and prevent devices from attacking for a day. It also says that defending units are not affected by this, but then follows that up with saying this is a good way to "prep" the target before you attack. I'm fairly new to the game but most of the combat I've had when attacking has been against defending units, specially against cities (where barrages seem to be quite innefective at causing damage given the fortification level and small-ish calliber of inf support guns, except to civilians apparently), is there any point then on doing artillery barrages before an attack? I'm gonna assume based on the manual that, if you manage to hit some units you'll cause casualties, disruption and fatigue but, again, causing casualties seems hard against well fortified units, I was doing this for suppression before an attack since that's what made sense but if defending units are not affected it's just a massive waste of ammunition no?
2 - Shorter one, is there some way of knowing the "command range" of an HQ unit? Until now I've been moving whole regiments as a single LCU (just spamming "rebuild parent) because the AV is higher but, reading the manual it looks like I can split the unit and leave the HQ and support units behind while keeping their command bonus (which makes sense). I'm guessing that a sensible distance of 2-3 hexes is fine for a RGT HQ but is there some way of knowing when a unit is outside of their parent command range or what the range is for an HQ? Are the support devices like field-hospitals and whatnot still used if they're in a different hex from other LCUs?
Thanks in advance! Maybe I'm going too much off reading the manual, which seems to be quite iffy, but I couldn't find any information about these two things elsewhere.
So support devices in a RGT like medical units are only used for units on the same hex, and RGTs have a 1-hex range so INF units outside of the hex are "out of range" and don't benefit from the RGTs command bonuses, please correct me if I'm wrong on that. Then, it makes sense to keep it's "children" INF units attached to it but I'm getting a bit lost on the level above that. I'm guessing based on your post that later in the game there are Infantry Division units that have Regiments under their OOB, in the Balearic Islands tutorial there's only RGT and 2 HQ (Teatros de Operaciones). The bit I'm not sure about from the comment below that you linked on your original post, if the order is INF <- RGT <- DIV <- HQ (attached to but not in OOB), where is the command bonus actually coming from? I'd assume it comes from the unit it's attached to, so the RGT, but then where are the DIV and HQ helping in? My best guess is that, if the RGT runs out of command points for the day, the unit can get the bonus from the level above, so having an OOB makes sense instead of all units being independent.
Obviously I'm very new to this system and I still don't really understand "how it all works" so I'm sure I'm missing some wider context on how all these pieces work together.HQ above the unit level will do that and can have any unit be attached for guidance ( this is done on bottom middle of the LCU window ) without that unit having to be part of the OOB of that HQ.
Means you can attach Divisions and Brigades to such higher HQ. They give high level combat influence if combat takes place within their command radius.
If there is a lack of this high level coordination the operations report will provide a message.
The system does prefer to use the HQ the unit is attached to, but will auto use any higher HQ that is in range and has control capacity left for that day. So micro management is not required in most cases. Just move the higher HQ into range of the combat.
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Some of my LCUs will change to strategic move mode automatically even though I have given them other operation modes, it is pretty annoying to see them packing themselves when they are literally next to enemy. Is it a bug ? 
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Seskhan wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 4:55 pm Some of my LCUs will change to strategic move mode automatically even though I have given them other operation modes, it is pretty annoying to see them packing themselves when they are literally next to enemy. Is it a bug ?![]()
If they are set to move with a train unit or if they have a railroad device they may change to strategic move mode if they need to do so.
Edit:
Also, if you combine units and if one is in strategic mode it messes up the unit as well.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
; Julia Child

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!
“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
Re: Quick Questions Thread
I have a TF consisting of two Destroyers that I have ordered to conduct surface combat.
I have also put them to 22 KYDS from Shore.
However, they seem to come under shore bombardment - I have checked the enemy guns and they have less than 22 KYDS range.
Ergo, am I correct in assuming the "'distance' from shore" is only applicable in bombardment tasks?
Basically I don't want my DDs chasing merchant ships and coming under fire from land based units.
Thanks Folks
I have also put them to 22 KYDS from Shore.
However, they seem to come under shore bombardment - I have checked the enemy guns and they have less than 22 KYDS range.
Ergo, am I correct in assuming the "'distance' from shore" is only applicable in bombardment tasks?
Basically I don't want my DDs chasing merchant ships and coming under fire from land based units.
Thanks Folks
Re: Quick Questions Thread
Units arbitrarily switching to strategic mode is a bug that the programmer is currently addressing.
HQ-type units (Regiments or Brigades) do not function as HQs in the game and provide no command support bonuses.
Ships do not maintain the set distance with absolute precision; other parameters also influence this.
HQ-type units (Regiments or Brigades) do not function as HQs in the game and provide no command support bonuses.
Ships do not maintain the set distance with absolute precision; other parameters also influence this.

