The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

In Turkey things look very quiet. There are some troops in front of Sinope, and some in the area south of the forces of Kiselyov.
turn 21 turkey before.jpg
turn 21 turkey before.jpg (417.29 KiB) Viewed 169 times
From the beginning I eye that I might be able to get Sinope this turn, so that is what I concentrate on first. I send my cavalry south of the city, and they move freely. There is no opposition. Even more incredulous the City which has 10 troopships in it, is only defended by a unit of two turk levies. I move the infantry in a position to make the attack on the city from the other side. This is a view of the map, and what happened.
turn 21 Sinope battle.jpg
turn 21 Sinope battle.jpg (202.37 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Not much of a battle, but, very important. It means that I now have a place that I can get supplies from Stavropol, that is easier than the road connection, but, I choose to block it with the "Supply block feature", which allows you to block your own supplies from entering or leaving a hex. I do this because I am pretty sure the Ottoman fleet would just interdict it, and that would mean not getting the supplies at all. After the battle I also attack the other now surrounded levy unit.
turn 21 Turkey after.jpg
turn 21 Turkey after.jpg (278.99 KiB) Viewed 169 times
After a few attacks along the line north of Kiselyov, the turn is over, at least when it comes to movement and battles. I buy some units, placing two Infantry in Kiev, and move them southwards. These can serve as reinforcements. I already have a steady stream of those going southwards. Not so much on the Caucasus side. Here the combat though is less bloody.

I also decide to research Guards I, and I expect I will buy some next turn. Before ending this entry... here is a look at the kills and losses.
turn 21 kills losses.jpg
turn 21 kills losses.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 169 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

"May 11th, 1801.

- I am pondering delegating even more power to another minister. Rumyantsev is doing well as the commerce minister, but I will need someone to consult when it comes to warfare. I have several young candidates in the wings, but the old guard might need some representation too. Thus I am going to partition the post into two posts, maybe even three.

- The wet weather of recent times are over. I expect big things of my generals in the south. One of them,
General Kiselyov has recently reported of the fall of Sinope, and I have ordered him to go deeper in land, to take Angora and Amasia. In the North the commanders are reporting they are ready for an attack on the Kalmar Union. In the far South, things are looking good too, there are many battles and struggles there.

- Alexander, Tsar."

turn 22 Start turn.jpg
turn 22 Start turn.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 136 times
The turn began with an incredible combat result. 71 Infantry, 11 Cavalry and 11 Artillery, lost by the Ottomans, and just a little less than a 10th of that lost by my forces. Wow! I also get the news that Ushakov's troops, as discussed last time was a possibility have been trained, and got more experience.
turn 22 levels.jpg
turn 22 levels.jpg (63.26 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Noztitiz has yet again gained another level. He is my highest level commander. By now I will soon need to upgrade his HQ to an Army of some kind (Armiya), which will mean more troops, or maybe some specialized troops, like Guards.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

As mentioned above, there was combat occuring. Three attacks by the Ottomans to be exact. I have marked them on the map. None of the attacks resulted in any retreats from my forces, though one Infantry division was reduced to 8 Infantry and 3 artillery. I sent that to the rear, to get more reinforcements.
turn 22 Balkans before.jpg
turn 22 Balkans before.jpg (700.95 KiB) Viewed 136 times
The Ottomans stacks are getting big. So big I am considering how wise it is attacking them at equal odds. So I am doing my best to attack from multiple sides, remembering to play offensive plan cards, when I have them.
turn 22 Balkans west after.jpg
turn 22 Balkans west after.jpg (294.11 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Above you can see my end position after combat and moves in the western end of the line, where Ushakov is located. I hope I will get to Sofia soon, unless the Austrians do so first. They are already at Nish, and they are doing very well in the western Balkans. They've gotten so far south as Tirane, in modern day Albania.
turn 22 Bulgaria East after.jpg
turn 22 Bulgaria East after.jpg (241.99 KiB) Viewed 136 times
In the Bulgarian theatre I am moving forwards, I feel at a snails pace. Even if the progress is slow, the stacks big, I am confident I will eventually get to Constantinople.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

turn 22 Turkey Georgia before.jpg
turn 22 Turkey Georgia before.jpg (535.77 KiB) Viewed 135 times
The positions in the Turkey/Georgia area, as seen above, are pretty much unchanged now for a while. Except of course that I last turn got Sinope. This turn I drove southwards.
turn 22 Turkey after.jpg
turn 22 Turkey after.jpg (407.38 KiB) Viewed 135 times
I am now next to Amasia, and I have had to make some holes in my lines, to cover the area that is being fought over. I made these lines with another thought too in my mind. Perhaps when the Ottoman AI sees these holes, it will try to go through them, and then I can actually trap them between two units, and hopefully kill them off.

Now, for the tradition. The Kills and losses report:
turn 22 kills losses.jpg
turn 22 kills losses.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 135 times
A very nice report, if you ask me.

Then came the dilemma that I had to think really hard about. Do I pay for some supplies, to make sure I have some next turn (20 PPs, per 3000 supplies), A new Policy (20 PPs) or some troops (Guards 11 PPs, Infantry 9 PPs) with the 41 PPs I have.

Now I know my plan was to play the Policy of recruitment, but, those supplies I believe take precedence. Moscow was running low. So I play the Supply card, then was the question, Policy or troops. And I had to choose troops, and since I want some PPs next turn, so I eventually can declare war on the Kalmar Union and also get the Policy, I chose the cheaper version. 1 Infantry unit in Kiev. This left me with 11 PPs for next turn. Declaring war costs 15 PPs.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

"May 31st, 1801.

- There has come a lot of news in from the South, and the war with the Ottomans. In Asia Minor
General Kiselyov has taken Amasia, one step closer to Angora. He warns that his western flank is exposed, but I encourage him to push forwards anyway. On the western front, from the Black Sea to the eastern Balkans, there has been movement too. General Ushakov has reached Sofia, and General Nostitiz has the city of Adrianopole in his sights. The battles to get there have been bloody.

- Here in
St. Petersburg things are much more quiet. Yes, troops have been moving towards what might become the new War I am planning, against the Kalmar Union. Their uniforms are spotless as they pass. Their officers must be commended, however, they will not stay spotless forever. I hope these new generals are up to it.

- Alexander, Tsar."

turn 23 Start turn.jpg
turn 23 Start turn.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 115 times
The war with the Ottomans is heating up, despite the losses not being so high, there is action. On the diplomatic front, France declares war on Portugal, something that at this point seems to be irrelevant, as the Portuguese only own a few hexes, and no cities. Ushakov has once again trained his men. Nice.

Speaking of Ushakov...
turn 23 levels.jpg
turn 23 levels.jpg (127.71 KiB) Viewed 115 times
... he just gained a level himself. Nostitiz also gained one, level 10, impressive. None of them gained any new cards, or features, but that is ok. As long as they get better stats, they are useful. Ushakov has 25 staff points, where Nostitiz has an impressive 35! I can't keep up with the amount of staff these guys need.

And now to a quiet front...
turn 23 Finland.jpg
turn 23 Finland.jpg (242.88 KiB) Viewed 115 times
This picture is an after movements have occurred. My forces are ready. Just waiting for the PPs, which again, I found other uses for his turn, but more about that later.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

turn 23 Balkans before.jpg
turn 23 Balkans before.jpg (642.56 KiB) Viewed 114 times
The Western front, in the South.. not sure what to call it.. but down in Bulgaria and the Balkans, there was this turns only battle initiated by the Ottomans. It was a limited success, the AI attacked from two sides, and drove back my infantry unit, that survived the onslaught, mostly. It did lose two artillery, and 6 Infantry, out of 20.

I look at the front, and I think, this is going to be rough. However, I remember that attacking in this scenario is better than defending. The AI has formidable stacks, but, they are of lower quality. Perhaps I can concentrate my forces, for better results.
turn 23 Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 23 Bulgaria after.jpg (246.66 KiB) Viewed 114 times
I begin by attacking on the flank to the east, and push back the unit there. It was equal size to my two units, but I had the quality, and experience, so I beat them back, and enter the hex, with that one unit on the flank.

I see that I can send some of my forces from elsewhere on the line into the fray, by taking some of my newly reinforced units to take their places. So I move them to the Hex where my main thrust will come from. I then attack from both sides, and beat back the Ottomans again.

Now I can really follow up. So I continue the attacks, finally reaching the gates of Adrianopole. Unfortunately, despite the defenses being very weak in that city, I run out of APs, and can't attack it. That is ok, I think. Yes, he may reinforce it, next turn, but probably won't be able to beat my troops back. He is simply too weak, in my estimation.
turn 23 Balkans West after.jpg
turn 23 Balkans West after.jpg (266.62 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Spurned on by this success, I begin making plans for the attacks i am going to make in the west. I realize that if I am going to have any sort of success here, I need to bring forward the troops under Pogorelsky, that has been guarding the flank. They are, I realize, guarding mostly air. Meaning that the Austrians likely won't attack me, and the Ottomans by now are beaten out of the area.

The hexes they enter free up units for attacks by Ushakov. I start out by attacking the unit right in front of Nicopolis. I want to secure the city. It gets beaten back, hard. I then attack units on it's flanks. They too retreat. So, now the unit in the center, is just before Sofia.. and it was already beaten back once. I attack, and push it back into Sofia itself. Sofia is now defended by a lot of beaten up troops. Next turn I will likely try and take it.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

This is the entire Turkish/Georgian front before I move and attack.
turn 23 Turkey Georgia before.jpg
turn 23 Turkey Georgia before.jpg (580.48 KiB) Viewed 113 times
My strategy of making holes in the line, did not work, except that of course now I know I can spread out my forces, or keep them like this for a while. This is good news, because I will be using the same amount of troops to cover a broader front.

There were no attacks along the Georgia-Turkish mountain like terrain. So I am not going to show that. However there were a couple of battles in central Turkey.
turn 23 Turkey after.jpg
turn 23 Turkey after.jpg (350.19 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Again, I begin by attacking the flank, this time to the west of Amasia. The opponent forces retreat southwards, which leaves Amasia with only Turk Levies defending it. I make short work of them, and Amasia is mine. I then push my forces along the road towards Angora on the extreme west of my wing. My flank is completely exposed, but there are no cities or roads in that direction, and hopefully the Ottomans are more worried about Constantinople, than my small forces on this side of the Bosporus. I push forwards, meet an enemy unit, and push it back, more levies...

After doing all that the losses and kills on the Ottoman side are understandably large. Mine are acceptable, more than acceptable.
turn 23 kills losses.jpg
turn 23 kills losses.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 113 times
One thing though. The Turk artillery I was facing is now Artillery I. So the same quality as mine. That might be a problem. It will cost me 75 Research Points to get the next level of Artillery, and 60 Research points to get the next Infantry level. I have 27 Research points. With only 5 a turn, now that the Innovation Policy is over, this will take some time.

I am worried that I have to little supply production. Currrently I am running about 1000 short each turn. I can buy 3000, for 20 PPs, which is cheaper than making it on my own, but, it is still a lot of PPs. Perhaps I should produce more supply. It certainly would be needed when/if, ok when, I play my Recruitment Policy. This turn however I will play the supply card, and now I have some respite. Next turn, I won't need to buy them again. I am then going to have to decide... war with Kalmar Union, Recruitment policy, or both. The recruitment policy will roughly halve the cost of troops I produce, while it is in effect. Of course more troops equals more supplies...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

russia v kalmar.png
russia v kalmar.png (717.7 KiB) Viewed 84 times
"June 20th, 1801.

- I got up early today. Who wakes up early, God gives to, says the proverb. Today is the day that my troops will advance on Kalmar Union territory. I have asked
General Kotiliarevsky to lead the attack, as well as General Chichagov whom I however have less faith in. He is a holdover from the Old Guard. Still he may surprise.

- In the South there is also good news. Both
Sofia and Adrianopole. General Ushakov took the former, while Nostitiz took the later, only adding to his legacy. As the songs about me will be written, in the future, some will undoubtedly be written to his honor too.

- Alexander, Tsar."


Well, I didn't bury the lead. Russian and the Kalmar Union are now at war. There is however more news.
turn 24 Start Message.jpg
turn 24 Start Message.jpg (31.55 KiB) Viewed 84 times
There were some smaller skirmishes along the frontline in the Balkans, and Portugal was once again declared war on. Not unexpected by the AI. They have a tendency to attack weaker countries, and Portugal, like discussed last time, is certainly that.
turn 24 officer level.jpg
turn 24 officer level.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 84 times
In Turkey Kiselyov continues to level. I've considered building troop transports to send troops to the south, where he is, to reinforce him, but... That area of Russia is not rich, meaning not many production sites, to make troops in. Besides, I am not sure that the troop transports would be able to reach Sinope, without altercations with the Ottoman fleet.

Also, I got a message that Ushakov had gotten free XP, from his "feat" of being a "learner". He gained 1 XP, so... not many. But free. Hopefully he gets more later.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Let us begin with the main item on the agenda. That is what is happening in Finland, against the Kalmar Union.

But first the commanders in the region.
turn 24 Kalmar front Commanders.jpg
turn 24 Kalmar front Commanders.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 84 times
None of them have leveled, but Kotiliarevsky and Chichagov will soon. The composite screenshot was taken after the battles that happened this turn. Hence the XP for each of those. The last Officer, Vuich, has his HQ located just south of St. Petersburg, in reserve, and protecting the coast.
turn 24 Finland before.jpg
turn 24 Finland before.jpg (350.32 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Above is shown how the forces were distributed before the battle. When attacking a Straight line like this, it is beneficial to attack a hex you think is weak, and from there attack the hexes next to it, with troops now from multiple sides. So that is what I did.
turn 24 Finland after.jpg
turn 24 Finland after.jpg (366.83 KiB) Viewed 84 times
The fighting was pretty bloody, but that is to be expected when an enemy has had time to entrench, which these guys had.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Let's jump from Finland, to Georgia, and nearby areas. This is how it looked before any moves were made.
turn 24 Georgia before.jpg
turn 24 Georgia before.jpg (365.54 KiB) Viewed 80 times
I decided that perhaps it would serve a better purpose to divide the screenshots in two. That is one for Georgia and the mountain range there. The other screenshot will then, in this case be of Turkey.
turn 24 Turkey before.jpg
turn 24 Turkey before.jpg (357.71 KiB) Viewed 80 times
The Ottomans seem to be approaching from the Southwest on Kiselyov's position, but after sending a cavalry unit out to spot what they were, I am not that worried. It was a unit of Turk Levies.
turn 24 Turkey and after.jpg
turn 24 Turkey and after.jpg (478.37 KiB) Viewed 80 times
I move an infantry division of Kiselyov's forces south to get to Angora, and I find two units of Turk Levy blocking the way. I bring down another Infantry unit down there, and start the battles. The Ottomans are overwhelmed. My forces are getting spread pretty thin.

I decide also that I had to do something about the forces collecting themselves on the East of Kiselyov. So Imereti, of little fame, so far, moves his forces that way. The enemy wasn't coming to him, anyway.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

turn 24 Balkans Bulgaria before.jpg
turn 24 Balkans Bulgaria before.jpg (694.57 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Above can be seen the map of the entire theater of operations in the Mid and East Balkans. As can be seen I still have some opponent troops that are going to be a problem. For instance they reinforced Sofia. The European part of the Ottoman Empire is falling swiftly, but with heavy resistance nonetheless.
turn 24 West Balkans after.jpg
turn 24 West Balkans after.jpg (288.57 KiB) Viewed 79 times
Here in the west, Ushakov's forces pushed forwards, towards Sofia, something that was quite costly. I had to merge a unit so that it was in fighting condition, after the battles. Of course the strength I am showing down here could not have happened, without me sending Pogorelsky's troops southwards along the border down there. Hot on the heels of Pogorelsky are the forces of General Bagration, who are yet unproven. His Malyy Korpus will have its day sooner or later, and as the losses mount, probably sooner.
turn 24 Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 24 Bulgaria after.jpg (290.13 KiB) Viewed 79 times
At Adrianopole the goals was to take the city. It was less well defended than Sofia, and if I had not out of Action Points, I would have gone for their University as well. I could use that extra research! Always something new to conquer.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

I then after having used my PPs on the declaration of war, I decide to play the Policy of Recruitment. This nearly doubles my troop output. Having spent 20 PPs on it, I want to use it as best I can. I switch almost all of my PP production into these new troops. Mostly Infantry II, and Staff II, but also some Guards.

Here is a look at all the HQs production (those that produce troops, not the captured cities that supply my forward forces)...
turn 24 production.jpg
turn 24 production.jpg (328.92 KiB) Viewed 78 times
All in all a bit more than 2½ units each turn. So maybe a bit more than production done with cards. That will be the norm for the next 6 turns. I better use it optimally. Of course I will still get PPs from my size alone, measured in Victory Points. I get one Political Point for each 5 VPs I have.

Below is what the ledger now says about the status of my production.
turn 24 Production status.jpg
turn 24 Production status.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 78 times
And has become tradition... I end the turn with the overview of kills and losses. A bit more losses than I'd like, but those are mainly because of the very offensive nature of the battles in the Balkans, and the defenses of the Kalmar Union Finns.

Wonder what next turn will bring. Perhaps the first naval battle of the game for me?
turn 24 Kills Losses.jpg
turn 24 Kills Losses.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

"July 10th, 1801.

- An outrage, that is what it is. A group of noblemen were caught by my secret imperial police, plotting to have my personal priest, my confessor, assassinated. This cannot stand of course. The plotmakers have been executed, by hanging, whereas the rest of them have been sent to the mines in Siberia. Of course their properties have been confiscated, and are now part of my estate.

- This plotting may be the result of my recent declaration of war on the Kalmar Union. A war that is turning out to be harder than the one with the Ottomans. Still I believe I am doing the right thing. The nobility must know however, that they cannot just plot like that. Nothing should happen but for the grace of God, through me.

- Alexander, Tsar."


While Tsar Alexander may be caught up in the troubles at home, there are wars that are being fought. Wars that cost lives. Here are the turn messages as I start up the turn.
turn 25 start messages.jpg
turn 25 start messages.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Pretty much as predicted, Portugal is no more. My losses were small, which is good, because I have been burning through infantry, like crazy these last turns.

This also reflects in the amounts of kills I have done of course. Quite a few officers leveled this turn.
turn 25 Levels.jpg
turn 25 Levels.jpg (325.61 KiB) Viewed 26 times
Kotiliarevsky got an Offensive Plan card, and Pogorelsky got a Forage card. This will be helpful in the winter, and as he nears the edge of the supply radius. Ushakov got the Rally card, which will allow him to, when has the card available to play, increase the readiness and give some morale to the troops he plays it on.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

This is the situation in Finland.
turn 25 Kalmar Union before.jpg
turn 25 Kalmar Union before.jpg (429.88 KiB) Viewed 24 times
The Kalmar Union troops are doing well in their defensive warfare. I have pushed them one hex away, but they are able to assemble forces to make a new line. Also note the supply "bubbles", they are blue. They have been lost by the Kalmar Union, as they sent the supply to Finland. No naval battle.
turn 25 Kalmar union after.jpg
turn 25 Kalmar union after.jpg (420.16 KiB) Viewed 24 times
And above you see that I managed to get another line of hexes into the forests of Finland, except for Sveaborg, where I simply did not have the strength I wanted to attack it. Next turn, though my forces are being depleted quickly.

I am sending forces there, to compensate for the brutal fighting. I have the advantage here, I think. I am able to get forces there quicker. Yes he may raise forces there, but getting there by land or sea is harder.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

In Turkey this is how things looked before I made my moves.
turn 25 turkey before.jpg
turn 25 turkey before.jpg (584.99 KiB) Viewed 23 times
I don't like the presence of that many counters of unknown forces. They could be anything in theory. Though most likely Turk Levies, but not knowing is scary. I could withdraw, consolidate my forces, but...
turn 25 turkey after.jpg
turn 25 turkey after.jpg (413.41 KiB) Viewed 23 times
I decide to push forward. If I can get Angora, perhaps the amount of Ottoman troops, of quality, would be even fewer. I thus make an attempt at forming a front there.
turn 25 Georgia Turkey after.jpg
turn 25 Georgia Turkey after.jpg (438.77 KiB) Viewed 23 times
In Georgia/the mountains of Turkey, I decide to push forwards too. Imereti needs to gain the Experience anyway. Him and Chichagov (located in Finland) are the two worst generals I have. Even when Chichagov leveled this turn, he only went from 7 staff to 8 staff. Not very impressive. The forces in Georgia become even more stretched.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Now to the "big front". Or at least the front where most troops are engaged in fighting.
turn 25 Balkans before.jpg
turn 25 Balkans before.jpg (734.37 KiB) Viewed 22 times
A hex between Phillipopolis and Nicopolis was the target of an Ottoman attack (marked on the map). First he beat back an infantry unit, that lost enough infantry that its counter now turned into that of the artillery. Then he tried to make the hole bigger, by attacking a unit in the next hex, which failed.
turn 25 Balkans west after.jpg
turn 25 Balkans west after.jpg (419.09 KiB) Viewed 22 times
It was important for me to close that hole he made. So that was my first priority. I did so by sending troops from nearby there, and attacked from multiple hexes. I then advanced on Phillopopolis, and moved forces forwards next to Nish, which perhaps was a mistake. The reason I say this is that my forces are ragged and depleted now. I am even fearing I need to withdraw a little, while waiting to get reinforcements.
turn 25 Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 25 Bulgaria after.jpg (299.21 KiB) Viewed 22 times
My 2nd priority was to take the University next to Constantinople. It turned out to be tougher than I thought, and the unit guarding the hex, is only 11 infantry strong, at readiness 50. I fully expect them to be dislodged the next turn. Again, my forces are very depleted. Reinforcements are coming, but they are a bit far away, for my taste, to feel completely secure in what I am doing.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

The losses and kills reflect these high losses. Yes, I am killing more opponent troops, but, can I sustain this kind of attrition?
turn 25 kills losses.jpg
turn 25 kills losses.jpg (20.88 KiB) Viewed 21 times
I also thought I'd show the amount of troops I am building now, in a more condensed form than that of above.
turn 25 production.jpg
turn 25 production.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 21 times
I am forgoing production of PPs and Supplies, well, mostly. The PPs you see in the above are from the university next to Constantinople. They can produce either Research Points or Politcal Points. So even if you don't want to research more things, or if the university is damaged as mine is down there, you can produce something other than the few research points a captured university gives.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”