Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

PaxMondo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:11 am
Mike Solli wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:57 am 11 Feb 43
The deliberate assault was 1 point shy of 1:1. The forts remain at level 5.
Crap. Crap. Crap.
Mike Solli wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:57 am The N1K2-J George R&D advanced to 8/43 and is expected to become operational 3/2/43.
The A6M5b Zero R&D became operational. All 6 R&D factories were upgraded to the A6M5c, which is expected to become operational 7/43.
I know that the A6M5c is the best you can get at this point on your CV's, but compared to the N1K you are going to be disappointed when you use it .....




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
I'm shooting for the A6M5c for the armor. I know it's a second rate fighter until I get the Sam.

The Sam R&D is still pretty pathetic:

19, 18, 4x15, 14, 2x13, 3x12, 3x11, 10, 2x9
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

RangerJoe wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:08 am
PaxMondo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:05 am
Mike Solli wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2026 9:14 pm I do resize some of my air groups. My issue is that most of the groups I'm using for training either can't become unrestricted ...
I think that a restricted air group can be flown onto a CV and then becomes independent. But, I just got out of the ER (again) and the pharmacy involved may be influencing my memory and typing ...


EDIT: and if you resize, then note that 3 x 27 = 81 ... one air group resized on Akagi will then cover all 3 carriers ...

EDIT Again: then I see that RJ already mentioned that above ... sorry, I blame the ER ....






:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Not necessarily flown but loaded onto the CV.
Yeah, I'm going to have to do that. I have always shied away from resizing a unit to 81. I've also been wanting to dedicate a fighter unit to training defense on elite pilots. It's surprising how many of them have crappy defense skills.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19760
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by RangerJoe »

Mike Solli wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 1:05 pm
RangerJoe wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 10:08 am
PaxMondo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 3:05 am

I think that a restricted air group can be flown onto a CV and then becomes independent. But, I just got out of the ER (again) and the pharmacy involved may be influencing my memory and typing ...


EDIT: and if you resize, then note that 3 x 27 = 81 ... one air group resized on Akagi will then cover all 3 carriers ...

EDIT Again: then I see that RJ already mentioned that above ... sorry, I blame the ER ....






:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Not necessarily flown but loaded onto the CV.
Yeah, I'm going to have to do that. I have always shied away from resizing a unit to 81. I've also been wanting to dedicate a fighter unit to training defense on elite pilots. It's surprising how many of them have crappy defense skills.
Offense is the best defense.

If you shoot down the enemy first then you don't have to evade him!
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

RangerJoe wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 2:07 pm
Offense is the best defense.

If you shoot down the enemy first then you don't have to evade him!
Working on that, Joe! See my next couple of posts.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

12 Feb 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

An Ansyu PB on a fast transport mission to Tulagi ran into two DEs there. In the exchange, she took 10x 3" shells which didn't do too much damage to her tough hide. She managed to hit DE King 4 times leaving her heavily burning. She also left her supply at Tulagi before retiring to Rabaul where she'll get some repairs. I really like the Ansyu PBs! They are tough, carry 1000 supply (or 500 fuel) and are less than 3k tons so 2 can fit into a level 1 port. Those guys are steaming all over the Pacific dropping off supply.

The 3 (reduced squadrons) of 6 Kittyhawks and 2 and 7 Spitfires swept Madang. I think I'll give them a warm welcome tomorrow with my Georges.

Well, well, well. A US carrier TF (3 CVs, I suspect) are a hex south of Lunga. They hit Tulagi with Avengers and Lunga with Dauntlesses. I'm moving subs that were stationed north of Noumea to just south of the carriers hoping to flood the hex later and get some shots off.

Then, unexpectedly (kind of), he invaded Russell Island with a slice of 2 Marine Parachute Battalion and 11 Marine Defense Battalion, shock attacked, and took it. It was undefended. There are so many dot bases in the area that it is impossible for me to guard all of them.

Russell Island.jpg
Russell Island.jpg (122.61 KiB) Viewed 268 times

SRA

Nothing to report.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

Well, somehow I turned off the bombard order of all the artillery in Chungking. It had to happen the turn after an attack when there would be a larger than normal number of disabled squads. Figures. Anyway, I don't have any info, but I turned the bombardment back on for tomorrow.

Other Stuff

The Ki-84a Frank R&D advanced to 12/43. I currently have 5 of the 18 R&D factories fully repaired with 1745 Ha-45 engines in the pool. That gives me 10% a day. If no other R&D factories complete repairs, I'll get the Frank 5/43. So, that's the latest I'll get it. I'm getting really excited about it!

Reinforcement
CM Yurijima - I have a lot of mines in the pools. I'm going to start dropping them at my important bases that Ted is likely to invade. Every little bit helps the defense...
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

13 Feb 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report.

4 Fleet

Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

I can't understand why Ted keeps sweeping with the Spitfires and Kittyhawks day after day. He's not really gaining anything and losing a lot of airframes and pilots over my territory. Anyway, he swept again over Madang and 25 Georges were there to meet them. First came 6 Kittyhawk IIIs, and 4 were shot down for no loss to me. Next came 3 Spitfire Vcs, which I damaged and drove away. Finally, there were 11 Spitfires to 20 Georges. Only 8 were there to start and Ted had the Spitfires come from pretty high, getting the dive on me. He shot down 4 (2 WIA) for no loss to him. Then the remaining 12 Georges arrived and dove on the Spitfires that were low after their dive. It was a massacre. I got 7 Spits for no additional loss to me. I ended up losing 4 more as op losses, where 1 pilot died in a crash. I'll LRCAP Madang again tomorrow, but I really don't expect to see what's left of them. I'm not at all concerned about the plane losses. I am not producing any more N1K1s and have 52 in the pool and the N1K2 will become operational 3/2/43.

So, over the past few days, 62 Georges have shot down 35 enemy planes for a loss of a single pilot and 4 WIA. I can live with that.

The US carrier TF is still hanging out 1 hex SW of Lunga. From the numbers, it looks like it's 3 carriers. If I had all of KB at Truk, I'd go after them, but half of KB is still guarding the Aleutians. My subs are still moving up from the south. I have a Glen sub in range to keep an eye on things, along with land-based Emilies and Dinahs. He can't hide.

SRA

Nothing to report.

Burma

Nothing to report.

China

The bombardment/bombing today destroyed 49 squads

The stats below are changes from 2 days ago and include the losses from the assault.

Raw AV:
Japan: 3093 (-1472)
China: 1432 (-367)
Enemy strength: 261k (-4k)
Enemy units: 88 units (+1 from yesterday)
Guns: 387 (+20)

The deliberate attack destroyed 6 enemy units and an additional unit was destroyed yesterday. I was a bit concerned that it was a lot of infantry that would return in a month at 1/3 strength:

16 Group Army
24 Group Army
5 Construction Regiment
7 Construction Regiment
13 Construction Regiment
83 Chinese Corps
89 Chinese Corps

The HQ and engineers aren't a concern. Fortunately, only 2 infantry units were destroyed.

I'm really pleased with the raw Chinese AV. Mine will come back. There's a LOT of supply in China, which is good for recovery. I lost 262 squads destroyed, but there are 2 full strength division that are 160 miles south of Chungking on the road totaling 894 AV. I'm planning on attacking again when they arrive. There are two more divisions totaling 600 AV behind them. Another 2 divisions totaling 840 AV are behind them. It's only a matter of time.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements
I-38, Glen sub, assigned to Kwajalein and is one of 4 Glen subs with the US west coast mission.
58 Field AA Battalion, 8 Area Army, will go to the Marianas
59 Field AA Battalion, 17 Army, will go to the Marianas
3 IJN Special Coastal Gun Battalion, combined with Yokosuka 6 SNLF to form the 3 Special Base Force, with 18 CD and DP guns, headed to Tinian
Detachment, 3 Special Base Force, small unit with 4 DP guns, some AAA, a company of Marines, a company of engineers and a few tanks, not sure where it'll go yet
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11249
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:00 pm 12 Feb 43
The Ki-84a Frank R&D advanced to 12/43. I currently have 5 of the 18 R&D factories fully repaired with 1745 Ha-45 engines in the pool. That gives me 10% a day. If no other R&D factories complete repairs, I'll get the Frank 5/43. So, that's the latest I'll get it. I'm getting really excited about it!
3 months max before Frank arrives, that's good. More importantly, more likely it will be in April43 AND you will have a lot of factories so that you will be able to upgrade your air groups quickly. Ted is not going to have a good '43 .... :lol: :lol: :lol:


:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

PaxMondo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:33 pm
Mike Solli wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:00 pm 12 Feb 43
The Ki-84a Frank R&D advanced to 12/43. I currently have 5 of the 18 R&D factories fully repaired with 1745 Ha-45 engines in the pool. That gives me 10% a day. If no other R&D factories complete repairs, I'll get the Frank 5/43. So, that's the latest I'll get it. I'm getting really excited about it!
3 months max before Frank arrives, that's good. More importantly, more likely it will be in April43 AND you will have a lot of factories so that you will be able to upgrade your air groups quickly. Ted is not going to have a good '43 .... :lol: :lol: :lol:


:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Yeah, the new question is, how many of the 18 factories are operational 84a and how many are R&D 84r?
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

Here's the final tally of the losses the carriers inflicted:

KB2

5 AK
10 xAK

They were all Liberty ships or EC2, which appears to be identical. Eleven VPs per ship plus the supply and fuel they were carrying.

MKB1 & MKB2

5 DD - Old ones but DDs nonetheless.
1 PG
1 SS - S-45
1 TK
3 xAP
3 xAK
4 xAKL
1 ACM

All that for about half a dozen Vals and Kates and their pilots. At this point, I have plenty of bomber pilots in the pool. I haven't had much in the way of losses for either.

It's interesting that Ted was hauling resources from Pt. Hedland. He mentioned that.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
Mike Solli
Posts: 16728
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: the flight deck of the Zuikaku

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by Mike Solli »

14 Feb 43

Sub War

Some SCs found I-19 off the US west coast damaging her with some near misses. The damage isn't severe, but it's enough to send her home.

5 Fleet

The BB bombardment TF hit Adak again. When they replenish at Attu, I'm going to have them move to a hex or two from Adak and then go in the next day. I'll attack that day. This is getting old. The Grouper took a couple more shells in the bombardment leaving her heavily damaged and burning. I don't see any ships in port. I'm pretty sure she went down.

4 Fleet

Nothing to report.

SE Fleet

Ted is attacking a variety of bases in the Solomons by air. The 1E bombers are coming from Rennell Island and the 4Es are coming from down south. Luganville, I think.

This is an opportunity for an ambush. Here's what he sent and where:

3 Kittyhawks, 12 F4F4s, 17 SBD-3s to Lunga (port)
18 Avengers to Munda (port) - I moved 18 Georges to Buin and will LRCAP Munda tomorrow. I hope he returns.
11 SBD-3s to Lunga (port)
8 B-17Es,6 B-24Ds, 9 F4F4 to Tulagi (airfield) - The Wildcats came from Rennell Island.
6 B-17F to Tulagi (airfield)
6 B-17F to Tulagi (airfield)

As you can see, he wants Tulagi's airfield out of commission so I can't easily counter his air power. The other bases are all port attacks so I can't easily resupply them. I really hopes he sends the Avengers back to Munda so I can maul them.

The two daitai of Georges performed an LRCAP mission to Madang again today but the enemy fighters (what's left of them) didn't show. I'm not surprised. A few days ago, there were 39 fighters sweeping. That last attack yesterday saw only a handful go home. There were 35 confirmed kills for the loss of a single pilot KIA and 4 WIA. I'm not worried about plane losses. I like those odds.

I sent the Georges to Truk for a few days of R&R to get their morale up and their fatigue down. I have a total of 2x 31 plane and 4x 9 plane George units. I'd like to get another one down here but have to figure out where it's coming from. Most likely, I'm going to expand a 36 plane training unit to 81 and then divide it into 3x 27 plane units. One will be assigned to MKB for fighter cover (A6M5), one will remain as a training unit (A5M), and the third will transfer to this AO (George).

SRA

Nothing to report.

Burma

Two more Cats attempted to attack a supply convoy at Cox's Bazaar, but they were damaged and driven off by the defending Tojos.

China

Today's bombing/bombardment destroyed 27 squads.

Raw AV:
Japan: 3216 (+123)
China: 1813 (+341) - He got another infantry corps.
Enemy strength: 281k (+20k)
Enemy units: 89 units (+1)
Guns: 405 (+18)

Two new units that appeared yesterday:

14 Construction Regiment
97 Chinese Corps

I'll find out the new unit that appeared today after the next turn.

My tired troops are recovering nicely, and I have 2 fresh divisions 131 miles south of Chungking which have almost 900 AV to add to the army.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements
934 Ku S-1 (9 Rufe), 3 Fleet, drew trained pilots (70+/70+/70+) from training units and will head to SE Fleet AO.
109 Sentai (27 transports), 51 Air Division, training and moving units in Japan.
AMc Wa-11, 12 and 13, To'su class, will convert to AMC.
DMS W-23, will convert to E and then ASW/escort.
Image
Created by the amazing Dixie
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11249
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Never Thought I'd Start Another One - tc464 (A) vs. Mike (J)

Post by PaxMondo »

Mike Solli wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 7:06 pm 14 Feb 43
AMc Wa-11, 12 and 13, To'su class, will convert to AMC.
Mike, I want your game. In my games, my To'su will only convert to ACM's, you get AMC's!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”