First Full Campaign Ai

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
kirtley9
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 pm

First Full Campaign Ai

Post by kirtley9 »

I have started a couple of games now as the allies just to get used to everything, both games ended in 43. I've also been playing with just the base game, no patches/mods. Now I want to try to complete a full campaign as the allies and I just wanted some advice on what would be the best scenario to download that would present a decent challenge for the allies, not expecting anything insanely difficult just enough to keep me on my toes.

If I just use the newest public beta does that have better ai? I was also considering playing BabesLite A would that be good enough or does that have the same ai scripts as the base game?
RedConkristador
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:45 pm

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by RedConkristador »

kirtley9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:12 pm I have started a couple of games now as the allies just to get used to everything, both games ended in 43. I've also been playing with just the base game, no patches/mods. Now I want to try to complete a full campaign as the allies and I just wanted some advice on what would be the best scenario to download that would present a decent challenge for the allies, not expecting anything insanely difficult just enough to keep me on my toes.

If I just use the newest public beta does that have better ai? I was also considering playing BabesLite A would that be good enough or does that have the same ai scripts as the base game?
There's no "AI" in the game. The computer's actions are condition-based scripts. The only way to get 'better' (or actual AI) is to have a LLM or AI assistant to run the turns for you. It's technically feasible but somewhat cumbersome.
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by PaxMondo »

kirtley9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:12 pm I have started a couple of games now as the allies just to get used to everything, both games ended in 43. I've also been playing with just the base game, no patches/mods. Now I want to try to complete a full campaign as the allies and I just wanted some advice on what would be the best scenario to download that would present a decent challenge for the allies, not expecting anything insanely difficult just enough to keep me on my toes.

If I just use the newest public beta does that have better ai? I was also considering playing BabesLite A would that be good enough or does that have the same ai scripts as the base game?
There is only one set of scripts, and they work best with Scen1 or 2. 1127 or 1128 doesn't matter to the AI. Play on VH for a balanced game, anything less the human player gets advantages that the AI does not.




:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
kirtley9
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by kirtley9 »

RedConkristador wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:03 pm
kirtley9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:12 pm I have started a couple of games now as the allies just to get used to everything, both games ended in 43. I've also been playing with just the base game, no patches/mods. Now I want to try to complete a full campaign as the allies and I just wanted some advice on what would be the best scenario to download that would present a decent challenge for the allies, not expecting anything insanely difficult just enough to keep me on my toes.

If I just use the newest public beta does that have better ai? I was also considering playing BabesLite A would that be good enough or does that have the same ai scripts as the base game?
There's no "AI" in the game. The computer's actions are condition-based scripts. The only way to get 'better' (or actual AI) is to have a LLM or AI assistant to run the turns for you. It's technically feasible but somewhat cumbersome.
Sorry should have specified scripts, I meant ai in the opponent/bot/enemy sense not ai agent, I did read a couple of older threads on the topic so was vaguely aware it was a script thing.

PaxMondo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 11:36 pm
kirtley9 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2026 9:12 pm I have started a couple of games now as the allies just to get used to everything, both games ended in 43. I've also been playing with just the base game, no patches/mods. Now I want to try to complete a full campaign as the allies and I just wanted some advice on what would be the best scenario to download that would present a decent challenge for the allies, not expecting anything insanely difficult just enough to keep me on my toes.

If I just use the newest public beta does that have better ai? I was also considering playing BabesLite A would that be good enough or does that have the same ai scripts as the base game?
There is only one set of scripts, and they work best with Scen1 or 2. 1127 or 1128 doesn't matter to the AI. Play on VH for a balanced game, anything less the human player gets advantages that the AI does not.
That makes sense, thanks. I think in that case I'll just play on VH and if it doesn't matter what patch I use I'll just go with the latest.
User avatar
Yaab
Posts: 5599
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Poland

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by Yaab »

Any campaign scenario will do.

I play scen001 as Allies, Normal difficulty but I house rule myself against AI. I use house rules to make up for some of the game's unrealistic mechanics like universal supply, fuel as cargo in xAK ships, 2E/4E bombers on CAS missions etc.
kirtley9
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by kirtley9 »

That's a good idea, I'll definitely implement some similar rules that I have to follow
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11248
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by PaxMondo »

kirtley9 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2026 1:00 pm That's a good idea, I'll definitely implement some similar rules that I have to follow
Fuel in 55 gal drums in wwii was as common as mystery meat in C rations ... there are lots' of pictures of huge piles of empty drums from the war. Henderson AF on Guadalcanal ran exclusively on 55 gal drums for months.

players that apply AI on normal get HUGE advantages no matter what they say. The dev stated quite clearly that balanced is on VH. The reasons are many and quite simple. Example: the AI scripts do not know how to use HQ bonuses, especially HQ command bonuses and amphib HQ bonuses. These alone are HUGE as any player knows. There are lots more (prep bonuses, supply, leaders, ...) so the dev gave some bonuses to the AI to try and balance these out. Is it perfect? No. Is it the best that could be done? Yes.

ALL HAIL THE ANDY MAC!!!!!


:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
LargeSlowTarget
Posts: 5081
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Hessen, Germany - now living in France

Re: First Full Campaign Ai

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Fuel in the sense of avgas, petrol and diesel was shipped in drums, but these are "supplies" in AE. Fuel in AE is ship fuel oil, commonly known as bunker fuel. It is a heavy, viscous petroleum residue. That stuff is not really suited to be handled in drums. Therefore it is nonsensical to allow shipping of 'drummed' fuel oil in AK type ships in AE. The house rule makes sense.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”