The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Now for the main course... the Balkans.

This is by far the place I have the most troops.
turn 26 Balkans before.jpg
turn 26 Balkans before.jpg (696.93 KiB) Viewed 116 times
The combat losses seen in the first picture of this entries AAR (some posts up), happened here. As predicted, I did not get to hold the University. My troops there were thrown back, as were the troops to the northeastern side of it. I have marked it on the map, with the red Xs each.

I look at the map, and say to myself, got to get troops over there, to Adrianopole, or things might get real bad. I send some of the frontline troops a few hexes to the East, covering those hexes. I now have two infantry in each of them.
turn 26 Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 26 Bulgaria after.jpg (384.58 KiB) Viewed 116 times
I then start the process of getting the big salient in between Sofia and Adrianopole reduced. It is weakly held, so it is pretty easy. I use Ushakov's forces for this (purplish stripe). I then see an opportunity to take Phillipopolis. I use forces from Pogorelsky and Ushakov to attack, and they take the city.
turn 26 balkans west after.jpg
turn 26 balkans west after.jpg (471.82 KiB) Viewed 116 times
I use the rest of Pogorelsky's troops to form a wall against possible Ottoman troops from the west, as well as the units of the HQ commanded by Bagration (light blue). See I said he'd be useful. His troops are there to prevent the Ottoman forces in Belgrade from breaking out through my lines.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

This time the battles have resulted in much fewer losses for me. A relief.
turn 26 kills losses.jpg
turn 26 kills losses.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 116 times
I couldn't just end the AAR for this turn, without showing something else. Here is a look at the total forces I have.
turn 26 total troops available.jpg
turn 26 total troops available.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Elsewhere there are things happening too. I scanned the map of Italy. Towards the top, France and Austria were each holding some Italian cities, but further down a few Italian cities were still under Italy's control... then I scanned further down... Rome was Austrian! I was surprised by this.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

"August 19th, 1801.

- The war with the Kalmar Union in Finland was not as I thought in essence, over. The mainly Swedish forces and some local militia, broke through the lines, North of Sveaborg, trying to threaten Viborg. However my Generals there, and especially
General Vuich saved the day, and turned the Kalmar Union offensive to a complete rout, after which the formations ceased to exist.

- Despite this clear success, the population seems to be angry, and weary with war. I asked my minister of commerce, Rumyantsev, why that may be. The description he gave of life for the peasants in his fiefdom, was eye-opening. It seems that the farmers are lucky to have Bread and Salt, and sometimes Beats to live on. I must find a way to improve their lives, but the nobility will not like it, as it would mean less income for them.

- Alexander, Tsar."


There was as mentioned some combat during this turn. Here is a look at the amount of losses, as well as my production, here at turn 27.
turn 27 start turn.jpg
turn 27 start turn.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 89 times
I also got some levelings happening. Three, to be exact, and two of them in Finland.
turn 27 levels.jpg
turn 27 levels.jpg (194.63 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Here Kotiliarevsky gained a level, and a card. He got the forrage card. As I have written earlier, this is a very useful card, as one gets further and further away from supply sources. However, Finland is not far away. I may reassign him. Chichagov gained the feat: Tactical, which helps him get cards, more readily. Useful, now if he only had some cards.

In Turkey, Imereti, has finally gained some fame. He gained the feat: Infantry Man, which allows him from time to time, to give his Infantry units combat bonuses. This too can be useful, although it will happen at random. A sort of Brilliance in the moment, is how I would describe it best.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Let's talk Finland... Yeah it is tempting to use this line with the forces in Turkey, but I resisted... sort of.
turn 27 Finland before.jpg
turn 27 Finland before.jpg (483.28 KiB) Viewed 87 times
As can be seen here, this is where the combat occurred. Two infantry divisions were pushed out of their defensive positions, and lost all of their Artillery, along with a lot of Infantry. The Swedes, as I like to think of them, simply overwhelmed them. There position there, is a threat to Sveaborg, so I had to do something.
turn 27 Finland after.jpg
turn 27 Finland after.jpg (496.55 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Luckily the forces from Vuich that I did regret sending towards the front, were able to counter attack, along with troops from the other commanders. The way I began the battle(s) in this case was using the classic tactic of encircling. I did this by sending the cavalry behind them, and cutting them off from fleeing in that direction. You can only flee to hexes you control.

After having pushed back the larger force, into the hex containing the smaller militia force, I was able to attack them, and destroy the forces. All those that would have fled, surrendered instead.

When this was all done I sent what cavalry had movement left to scout for enemy forces. I had already during the turn moved into Aabo, as I found it undefended. The scouting missions revealed that the only unit I could see, that was left, was an HQ.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

turn 27 Turkey Georgia before.jpg
turn 27 Turkey Georgia before.jpg (909.39 KiB) Viewed 86 times
The front in Turkey/Georgia, before any moves were made can be seen above. I don't like what I see. Too many Ottoman units, and I cannot form a line. I scout what some of them are, and they are not all levies. Luckily none of them are pure Mameluks, as they are very fast, and able to exploit, and cause havoc in the rear.

The troops before Imereti, seem to have melted away. Always a worrying sign, when you cannot see an enemy any more.
turn 27 turkey after.jpg
turn 27 turkey after.jpg (423.67 KiB) Viewed 86 times
After looking at the situation, I decide to move my cavalry, that had been scouting, with the rest of their movement points into a position where the units that seem to be heading for Sinope, will have to come into contact with them. Thanks to them exerting a zone of control, they will slow down this unit I see, even if it does not attack them. I send more infantry northwards, to be able to combat the unit in the next turn. Cavalry alone vs. Infantry and Artillery, is not a good proposition.
turn 27 Turkey Georgia after.jpg
turn 27 Turkey Georgia after.jpg (376.44 KiB) Viewed 86 times
I then move Imereti's forces around the best I can to counter what might be coming, even sending some to protect Kiselyov's HQ. I also move Imereti's HQ nearer Amasia, across the river, so as to be in better supply range. To cover as much space as possible Branicki's forces (Blue stripe) are spread even thinner.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

In the Balkans things look a little better, except near their Capitol of Constantinople, and the university nearby.
turn 27 Balkans before.jpg
turn 27 Balkans before.jpg (605.99 KiB) Viewed 85 times
There is a weak point right below Adrianopole, and that is going to be the place I will try to focus my forces first, on that side of the front. I will do this by pulling forces from the line, and expanding other commander's forces to the places I am taking them from. There is no obvious city to concentrate on taking on the other side of the front.
turn 27 Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 27 Bulgaria after.jpg (383.26 KiB) Viewed 85 times
The attacks are a success. Still I pull back from the position, and strengthen the line. I also manage to retake the University. With some luck I may be able to keep it. I cross the river between Adrianopole and Phillippopolis, with the troops of Ushakov.
turn 27 Balkans west after.jpg
turn 27 Balkans west after.jpg (408.46 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Pogorelsky's troops move into positions to try and sweep along the flank, and eventually, that will mean I can close in on Constantinople, with more forces. I forrage with the with Pogorelsky too, and then Ushakov and Nostitiz use a Rally card, on a unit each. The units they select are those coming up from the rear, because they had the lowest readiness, and that would mean less APs next turn. I want them to be able to move as fast towards the front as possible.

Finally Bagration's troops move to create a wall between Belgrade and Nish, where Ottoman troops could appear.

The tradition of showing the Kills and losses near the end continues. Here they are, as I end this entry.
turn 27 kills losses.jpg
turn 27 kills losses.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

"September 8th, 1801.

- With
Admiral Mordvinov's great vicory against a Swedish raiding fleet, in the Gulf of Finland has made it easy for me to appoint him to Minister of Naval Affairs. He was also responsible for a daring raid on the port of Stockholm, where an invasion fleet was assembling. A complete success. This victory and appointment will hopefully be enough to make the general public to forget about their reservations about the wars that are ongoing.

- In Turkey things are strange. There is no real front, and only scattered units, covering a lot of ground. This has caused the Ottomans to, at places, breach the line, and get behind the front. I have a clever commander there in the guise of
General Kiselyov, he is guiding General Imereti the best he can. Things in the Balkans are more than satisfactory, though no new cities have fallen.

- Alexander, Tsar."


Here is an overview of the messages I got this turn:
turn 28 start turn.jpg
turn 28 start turn.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 56 times
A lot of losses of opponent ships and land troops. Not very many of my own. Always nice to see.

There was also a few reports of leveling among my officers:
turn 28 levels.jpg
turn 28 levels.jpg (265.57 KiB) Viewed 56 times
As can be seen, most of them were from the battles last turn in Finland, where they gained this Experience. Chichagov gained an Offensive Plan card. The others merely leveled, and got staff, morale and combat bonuses.

Now to the different areas where combat is occurring. First Finland:
turn 28 Finland before.jpg
turn 28 Finland before.jpg (475.87 KiB) Viewed 56 times
This where the Naval battle occurred. 10 Frigate IIs attacked my 40 Ships of the Line I, and 20 Frigate Is. My losses, 2 Frigates, his losses 8 Frigates. Decisive victory, suicidal attack by the Kalmar Union Swedes. The HQ from last turn has retreated, and I never found out where:
turn 28 Finland after.jpg
turn 28 Finland after.jpg (656.2 KiB) Viewed 56 times
I attacked the rest of the Kalmar Union Frigates first, destroying them all, and then moved one of my fleets to Stockholm, to see if I could expect more opposition. There I found 10 Troop Ships. I attacked the port, and lost 1 Frigate, he lost all his ships. Then I moved as far as I could back towards the other fleet. I kept my other fleet where it was, because, I didn't want a repeat of what I just did to the Kalmar Union Troop Ships. They are located in St. Petersburg.

Other than that, most of my moves here were to get troops out of Finland, and transferred them elsewhere. I did leave a smaller force in Finland to defend, should the need arise. These are commanded by Vuich.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

As mentioned by the Tsar, there was a bit of chaos on the Turkish front.
turn 28 turkey georgia before.jpg
turn 28 turkey georgia before.jpg (982.58 KiB) Viewed 55 times
A fast moving staff unit from the Ottomans penetrated deep and got to Kiselyov's HQ. This is dangerous because the chances of getting wounded for a General increases when enemy forces get so close. Luckily nothing happened. Another unit, an infantry one, broke through from the East, on Imerti's flank, and the Infantry unit that had course for Sinope last turn, also moved closer, cutting the road south. All these things I had to deal with.
turn 28 Turkey West after.jpg
turn 28 Turkey West after.jpg (470.92 KiB) Viewed 55 times
I swiftly moved my cavalry and close by infantry to kill of the surrounded unit near Sinope. It was a short and not very bloody battle, for me. I also took out the Staff unit, and did it the same way, as with the unit from before. Staff die much easier in this game than regular ATG. That is worth noting.
turn 28 Turkey East after.jpg
turn 28 Turkey East after.jpg (244.81 KiB) Viewed 55 times
I was also able to attack the Unit coming in from the East, towards Imereti. I have tried to make it harder to get to my HQs from the South. We will see how that goes.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

Now to the Balkans. Here the Ottoman forces tried to retake the University. They failed.
turn 28 Balkans before.jpg
turn 28 Balkans before.jpg (640.85 KiB) Viewed 54 times
They did however make me lose enough Infantry that I decided to withdraw one of the two units, and I did so after transferring the infantry from one of the units to the others.

I was a bit bewildered about what I should do on this front, the East Balkans/Bulgaria. I decided to begin at the other end of the front, towards the central Balkans instead.
turn 28 Balkans East after.jpg
turn 28 Balkans East after.jpg (521.52 KiB) Viewed 54 times
I began slowly by attacking the smaller units, and moving forwards. Soon the positions that the Ottomans were in began falling completely apart, as I attacked more and more units, and moved more and more close to the coastline. What I had predicted last turn, but thought would take more than a few turns, began happening now. Troops are heading for Constantinople, from the western approaches, along the coast.
turn 28 Balkans Bulgaria after.jpg
turn 28 Balkans Bulgaria after.jpg (366.26 KiB) Viewed 54 times
I decided to do much the same in the Area around the University, and I got right next to Constantinople. I would have attacked it. It seemed weak defended, despite the many units. They were however small. Of course only a few of my units had enough AP's, so I didn't follow up.

The rest of the turn was spent transferring units from Finland, Moscow and other places, to Kiev, where I began forming a new HQ, under Kotiliarevsky. He has 18 staff points, so he will be commanding a Bolshoy Korpus (Large Corps), which is 6 Infantry and 3 cavalry units. What he'll do there at the moment I do not know. Maybe move southwards, to face the Ottomans, or the Austrians. The latter are getting really big, though I am still the 2nd greatest power.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
User avatar
ernieschwitz
Posts: 4751
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR

Post by ernieschwitz »

With the two ports I have taken in Finland, the negative effects of the war-weariness has been slightly offset.
turn 28 status report economic.jpg
turn 28 status report economic.jpg (27.01 KiB) Viewed 54 times
The trade bonus was 7% before the weariness hit, now it is 15%. So, better than before. I will still have to deal with the war weariness. I don't want the checks to fail more often, because of those modifiers.
turn 28 Force Graph.jpg
turn 28 Force Graph.jpg (189.29 KiB) Viewed 54 times
As can be seen from the Force graph above, my amount of forces is growing, even faster than when I just use cards. The price of course is that I am burning through manpower at an alarming rate. A little more than 1.000 Manpower a turn. When I began the Recruitment Policy I had about 10.000 manpower.

While I am the 2nd biggest Empire, by virtue of Victory Points, I am not by the amount of military forces I have. The British are much more strong than me, and of course the French. I am about the level of the Austrians. Someone has to take care of them, sooner or later, maybe when the Ottoman threat is a bit less than now. When all of Turkey is mine.

And now, as the tradition prescribes, here are the kills and losses for the turn.
turn 28 kills losses.jpg
turn 28 kills losses.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Post Reply

Return to “After Action Reports”