Grafenwöhr, Bayern, West-Germany D+0 | 20 July 1989
Length: 4 hours
Side: NATO
Opponent: frank1y8
Scenario background:
Warsaw Pact forces continue to push westward. After a short pause, it looks like the 19th Motor Rifle Division is going to advance along the B470. This would allow them to link up with the 20th Motor Rifle Division, which would not be good.
Our Forces:
TF 1-6
On map: 3x Mech Companies,1x MBT Company, 1x Recon Platoon.
Air Support: One AH-64D Section (3x helo) ETA 2HRS and OH-58C (2x helo) ETA 30MINS
Artillery: Mortar platoon (M106A2)
Enemy Forces:
Intel reports indicate that the Czechoslovakians have already seized the junctions of the B299 and BN470 with a Motor Rifle Battalion (MRB). It is anticipated that another MRB will arrive soon. It is unlikely that the Czechoslovakians will have any aviation assets, but they will likely have a full Artillery regiment in support
Composition (as per intel): 10 to 20 Tank subunits;70 to 80 Armored Carrier subunits; 50 to 60 Infantry subunits; 6 to 10 SP Anti-Tank subunits; 10 to 20 Anti-Tank subunits; 20 to 20 Headquarter subunits; 6 to 10 Air Defence subunits; 20 to 20 Artillery and 30 to 40 Utility Vehicle subunits.
Objectives:
Block the Czechoslovakian advance at the HAIDENAAB River along the B470.
Initial Situation, my assessment and plan:
I don’t know enemy reinforcements arrival time and full roster, only general idea of enemy forces based on briefing. Did not play this scenario before.
My initial plan is to force recon on /RC positions.
3/R and 2/R are supported by A/ and C/ Companies respectively.
B/ Company and MBT Company are in the rear reserve along with HQ and Mortars and will be used based on needs.
Our forces will act reactively to the situation.
I want to use AH-64s section for artillery hunting.
I expect the enemy to play this scenario proactive and force engagement in the woods.

1700-1730
- On our left flank in the first minutes our MBT platoon was attacked by enemy AT and lost 1x M1A1. Mortars were called on enemy AT position right away, enemy retreating from position under fire from A company.
- 1/RC section engaged with moto rifle forces on the railway. 1/RC was KIA on the spot destroying 2 enemy vehicles.
Decided to use 3/B platoon to secure woods between A and C companies.
- OH-58c section arrived and are moving through east woods, - hopefully we’ll see what’s going on there.
- /A company together with a MBT platoon engaged an enemy AT unit and exchanged fire. The stand off continues. Other parts of A company along with MBT platoon advance forward along the railroad where we lost our scouts.
- OH-58C section spotted a huge enemy convoy moving by the B470 from the east 30-40 APCs, 1-5 HQs,20INF, 1-5 AD, 6-10 Arty, 1-5 UV, 6-10 MBT, 1-5 SPAT.Kiowa continues to move behind enemy lines and spotted enemy HQ by Schwand (Our 1st target for AH-64s section). Later the helicopter section got under SAM fire and 1 helicopter was lost.

1800-1830
- Decided to use mortars on enemy AD position.
- Left flank: MBT platoon moved along the railroad in front of infantry and was destroyed by an enemy moto rifle unit.
- Firefight with the enemy AT team on our left flank continues with no results.
- 3/A Mech platoon assaulted an enemy motorifle platoon on the railroad with no success and lost the fight. Ordered mortar strike on their location which resulted in confirmed enemy kills.
- 2/C Mech platoon engaged in brief firefight with enemy motorised AT squad on the B470 road, but then lost contact and got under enemy artillery fire.
- I don't see much activity on enemy East VP positions, so I’ll try to move closer and play it by ear.
- Around 1820 OH-58c confirmed destroyed vehicles and dead personnel on enemy AD positions, and started relocation behind our lines for a second lap, got hit by enemy AD near the East VP area.
1830-1900
- The mortar platoon got under enemy counter battery fire and lost 1 M106A2 while changing position. Shortly after this they got back to on-call and barraged north of Pechhoff. RC units visually confirmed hits - infantry and vehicles.
- 1/A Mech platoon, which was advancing through the woods, stopped on the ordered position and immediately engaged with enemy motorised AT units on NW and enemy mechanized infantry on NE, both close. After a quick firefight the enemy retreated. 1/A was ordered to retreat and move NE 500 meters.

1900-1930
- AH-64s arrived and were ordered to support our advancement on East VP points.
- Our Mortar platoon got under counter-battery fire and lost few more mortars.
- 1/A Mech platoon got under enemy artillery barrage while retreating to change position.
- 2/A Mech platoon on the left flank reached enemy AT and assaults their position.
- 2/A mech platoon continues firefight with enemy units, exchange rate is 1-1 while under enemy artillery fire. They are almost on the enemy’s position. Enemy AT squad suppressed by our mortar fire.
- Our forces on the right flank observe the East VP area from multiple locations - but no enemy units. I decided to commence an assault on that area by forces of 3/C Battalion with tanks and AH-64s support.

2000-2030
- Left flank 2/A mech platoon continues to struggle with the enemy AT team. The situation is not in our favor - .50 cal HMG squad is the only unit left of the whole platoon and they fight for their lifes.
- Right flank: Our advancing forces spotted multiple enemies behind the bridge, looks like the whole company there. I would have gladly used mortars, but they are resupplying.
- The moment I spotted them I thought that that area should be an easy killzone since it’s in LOS of tanks and helicopters. About 15 minutes in, I noticed why the enemy positioned his forces in that one area - it's in the lowland. Right now only heli has partial LOS there and few MBT - I’ll fix it fast.
- 2/C/1, while moving a little north from East VP area by the river, spotted an enemy mortar platoon along with SPAT units on the move and destroyed one of the mortars. Forced enemies to reposition.
My forces are in a dire state. As of right now I’ve lost about 30% of TF.
- 2/A/1 HMG squad is still in firefight with no support in sight.
- On the right flank I’ve lost 2 out of 3 AH-64s to tanks HMG fire and destroyed few enemy tanks. The remaining helicopter retreated and then came back to the road to find enemy mortars position and forced them to pack and move.
- Our forces keep assaulting the bridge with MBT support. Sustaining heavy losses. The enemy is using heavy artillery on our positions.


Conclusion:
Giving the losses and general situation I see this as a win, I believe in last hour I was able to pull contested result.
Right now I see an enemy D-30 position - I wish I knew that they are there and with no AA. Had to use Kiowas to scoop more to the north and then use AH-64s. My general helicopter use and performance was lackluster.
Left flank was a disaster, ambush after ambush with big losses. You can clearly say that my forces were ambushed on the move by almost 1-1 APC with INF ratio of my losses. Then I had to use remaining forces to go through the forest, because I was afraid of the enemy in it and danger they could pose to my right flank. Enemy forces on my left flank were able to attract all my artillery attention, which I needed later on the right flank but was not able to use them.
Right flank did better, and reinforcements I had in the rear were put to good use. However, I had to study terrain better. The enemy mechanized company exploited terrain knowledge to 100%.
Very interesting match. I hope to hear from my opponent his side of story.
Thank you!