Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Master grand tactical combat as a Cold War force commander in this data-rich simulation. Plan and issue orders in asynchronous WEGO turns, leveraging real-world maps and complex features like Electronic Warfare and Air Assaults to outthink your enemy.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Post Reply
Zumwalt_446
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:29 am

Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Post by Zumwalt_446 »

After installing the latest patch (from June) and playing through several US campaign scenarios, I have noticed that US armor units perform significantly worse when engaging WP units (armor/mech in particular), but seem to take the same losses as before (or maybe even a bit more). Have there been any changes made to NATO weapons and/or armor values that would lead to this happening, or is this more likely to be a product of RNG?
User avatar
CapnDarwin
Posts: 9782
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Post by CapnDarwin »

No changes this go around to tank armor or guns. Most fixes were to non-tank ranges and SA values for fast-fire-rate weapons. Could be an RNG thing.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
Lowlaner2012
Posts: 792
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

I noticed this before, but with British tanks, in the 1st mission of the campaign, I had Challenger 1s dug in in cover on higher ground, now with the patch before the latest one, my Challengers fired and fired and missed what seemed like 90% of there shots, and by firing so much they gave away there positions and got hammered and destroyed by every Soviet unit in sight... tbh I stopped playing as it didnt seem right to me...

Now I thought I would try it again with the latest patch, the difference was day and night, my Challengers were hard to hit(I only lost 1) and there fire was accurate and picked off alot of T-64s before there SOP range settings were triggered and they withdrew... now to me this reflects reality better, dug in tanks with the element of surprise, superior crew, thermals, better armor and guns should beat inferior tanks moving out in the open...

I know Capn Darwin has stated that nothing was changed in regard to accuracy etc etc, and I don't doubt he knows his stuff, but something has changed between the previous patch and the latest one... in fact Ive started playing and have l purchased the DLC...

So try again Zumwalt_446, and I bet your results will be totally different with this new patch..

I forgot to add, Capn you mentioned rng, I must have loaded my save with the previous patch over 20 times... and everytime, with some slight variation, my Challengers were slaughtered...but the 1st time I load it up on the latest patch, totally different, as I said above...

Thanks
Last edited by Lowlaner2012 on Sun Oct 04, 2026 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
CapnDarwin
Posts: 9782
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:34 pm
Location: Newark, OH
Contact:

Re: Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Post by CapnDarwin »

Kevin was investigating an issue where units weren't evaluating shots at long ranges properly in some cases, and that correction may be in the release now. I'll have to check in on the Monday call if I am on it (dealing with a family hospice situation right now). That may be what has made the change in this case. Also, repeated runs of a save will have the same initial results, as the random seed is locked to provide the same results if rerun. Similar to X-Com. Events have to change for outcomes to change.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LTD
Lowlaner2012
Posts: 792
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: Changes in NATO (specifically US) armor units

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

The issue Kevin was investigating sounds like the culprit to me, but Im a gamer not a programmer/dev...

On the patch before, the Challengers were firing wildly, hitting close to nothing, giving there positions away and getting hammered...but with the latest patch, they seem to fire alot less, staying unseen but scoring alot more hits...

Also the save I tested the new patch on was the same save made on the previous patch, its a save after I have positioned my units and set up there SOPs but haven't started the scenario yet... so that could be why Im seeing vastly different results with the new patch, nothing had been processed yet...

Im sorry to hear about the family hospice situation and I hope everything works out fine for you and your family...

Thanks
Post Reply

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns: Cold War”