"December 17th, 1801.
- Winter is a cold time. In Russia it seems even colder than in other countries. While I sit here at the fireplace, I get reports from the forces in Asia Minor, and their trouble moving because of the bad roads and weather. No snow there. The campaign season is over, for now, though there will still be some fighting.
- Philip Kotiliarevsky who gained his fame in Finland, has recommended to me that I appoint his nephew to become a general. The young man, who was named by his mother, is called Albert Kotiliarevsky. His mother was French. I appointed him to command a Malyy Korps that I have begun assembling in Moscow.
- Alexander, Tsar."
Turn 33 came with the following messages:
Not much to report. No resistance from the Ottomans, the Kalmar Union have their plate full with the Prussians, and I can see on the map the Nordic country just lost Copenhagen.
Terenty Ushakov gained a level, and got the Forage card. All those Forage cards are nice on the Officers, but I would like to see some of the other cards too, so I could show them off.
I got to 78 Research Points, finally. So I researched Artillery II. Blast the enemy infantry away, is the theory.
At the end of turn I upgraded as many of those that I could.
The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
Moderator: Vic
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
Turkey, as it looked before my moves. Not much happening. There is a staff unit isolated from everywhere else to begin with. I decide to take that out, and have some combat elsewhere south of Angora too, as my forces there advance a little.
Moving is tough. 2-3 hexes a unit. So not much to do, I fear. The next couple of turns may be boring, I think. I have begun withdrawing Nosititz forces from the fray, and prepare to move them to the Austrian border. They will also get some reinforcements while moving in that direction. Some of the units are down to 8 infantry, and 3 artillery. Barely functional.
The kills and losses, presented here, as tradition, show how little is going on.
Moving is tough. 2-3 hexes a unit. So not much to do, I fear. The next couple of turns may be boring, I think. I have begun withdrawing Nosititz forces from the fray, and prepare to move them to the Austrian border. They will also get some reinforcements while moving in that direction. Some of the units are down to 8 infantry, and 3 artillery. Barely functional.
The kills and losses, presented here, as tradition, show how little is going on.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
"January 6th, 1802.
- As I look out over the snow-clad landscape my mind wanders. How are the poorest people in my Empire doing. Is it true that the true nature of a country can be found by looking at its people, and its poor people at that. There are many who live as serfs, and are treated as little more than slaves. I decide to do something about this, this year.
- Snow has also reached the Southern parts of the Empire now. Except for Asia Minor, where the weather is bad. Roads are affected everywhere, and movement of troops, they tell me is slow. My generals tell me to be patient. I will try to be, but the days of a new major city being taken every month are definitively over, for now.
- Alexander, Tsar."
Turn 34 has begun, and like the Tsar is saying, nothing much is happening. Terenty Ushakov, or maybe I should call him Ushakov the elder, has given his troops some XP, which is great.
Of note this turn is that Imereti has (finally) gotten to a point where he has more staff points than his command requires. I will have to send some staff his way, and a unit of infantry.
- As I look out over the snow-clad landscape my mind wanders. How are the poorest people in my Empire doing. Is it true that the true nature of a country can be found by looking at its people, and its poor people at that. There are many who live as serfs, and are treated as little more than slaves. I decide to do something about this, this year.
- Snow has also reached the Southern parts of the Empire now. Except for Asia Minor, where the weather is bad. Roads are affected everywhere, and movement of troops, they tell me is slow. My generals tell me to be patient. I will try to be, but the days of a new major city being taken every month are definitively over, for now.
- Alexander, Tsar."
Turn 34 has begun, and like the Tsar is saying, nothing much is happening. Terenty Ushakov, or maybe I should call him Ushakov the elder, has given his troops some XP, which is great.
Of note this turn is that Imereti has (finally) gotten to a point where he has more staff points than his command requires. I will have to send some staff his way, and a unit of infantry.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
Above is the map of the whole Turkish Area. The details I know are a bit small, but, you can, as I have said before right click on it, and get shown the whole picture, by choosing to see it in a new window. Purple striped units are Ushakov's (Terenty), the Yellow striped ones are Nostitiz's and the Brownish striped ones are the units of Kiselyov.
The map below shows what I did with my units. Mainly they moved some hexes forwards, killing what was in the way, if possible. I also withdrew a lot of Nostitiz's units, towards Constantinople. A few remain to watch the gap between Terenty Ushakov's Field Army (32 staff), and Kiselyov's Field Army (32 staff). Nostitiz has an Imperial Army (52 staff).
Just to show how little is going on, here is the kills and losses, for the turn.
The map below shows what I did with my units. Mainly they moved some hexes forwards, killing what was in the way, if possible. I also withdrew a lot of Nostitiz's units, towards Constantinople. A few remain to watch the gap between Terenty Ushakov's Field Army (32 staff), and Kiselyov's Field Army (32 staff). Nostitiz has an Imperial Army (52 staff).
Just to show how little is going on, here is the kills and losses, for the turn.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
"January 26th, 1802.
- I am growing tired of settling disputes that the nobles are unable to get satisfactory results from the courts. They say that the courts are unjust, that the law is too complex, that this noble or that noble bought off a legal representative. Corruption, in other words. So they come to me, and ask for decrees allowing for exceptions in their cases. So I have been ruminating that I might need to have someone overhaul the courts and laws. The whole method is ancient. But who would be a good candidate, that the nobility can accept?
- Alexander, Tsar."
Turn 35 already, who would have thought I would get this far into an AAR. To be honest I almost decided to stop when Constantinople fell. But I didn't and here we are.
Some good news this time around. Vuich has recovered, and is once again ready for service. I assign him a newly formed Malyy Korps in Kiev. My ambition is to have the entire front from Riga to Salonika covered by at least one infantry unit each. Every hex.
No officers leveling this time. So we jump straight into the map as it looked before I made my moves.
Mostly there is nothing here to worry about, mostly... because... there is this one thing
East of Angora and South of Amasia, as seen on the map above, a unit, a full infantry division, has broken through, and could head for one of my HQs. That would be bad.
- I am growing tired of settling disputes that the nobles are unable to get satisfactory results from the courts. They say that the courts are unjust, that the law is too complex, that this noble or that noble bought off a legal representative. Corruption, in other words. So they come to me, and ask for decrees allowing for exceptions in their cases. So I have been ruminating that I might need to have someone overhaul the courts and laws. The whole method is ancient. But who would be a good candidate, that the nobility can accept?
- Alexander, Tsar."
Turn 35 already, who would have thought I would get this far into an AAR. To be honest I almost decided to stop when Constantinople fell. But I didn't and here we are.
Some good news this time around. Vuich has recovered, and is once again ready for service. I assign him a newly formed Malyy Korps in Kiev. My ambition is to have the entire front from Riga to Salonika covered by at least one infantry unit each. Every hex.
No officers leveling this time. So we jump straight into the map as it looked before I made my moves.
Mostly there is nothing here to worry about, mostly... because... there is this one thing
East of Angora and South of Amasia, as seen on the map above, a unit, a full infantry division, has broken through, and could head for one of my HQs. That would be bad.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
So... I have to do something about that. I swing Imereti's forces in that direction, and let some of the cavalry from Kiselyov's command help out. Unfortunately I am in no position to surround the unit, so I have to "just" push it back, and then form a line.
This is how everything looked after the moves were made. I did have combat a few other places, and I expect some officers will be leveling again, next turn. I am also moving closer and closer to Adalia. A small place, but everything counts. The more VPs for me = More PPs for me = less production for the Ottoman AI.
As can see from the above, this is how the closeup of the flank now looks. The Orange striped Cavalry (Imereti's forces) has only 5 cavalry men in it, so it is too small to be considered for attacking.
This is a setting I made to make sure that surrounding a unit required more than just 1 cavalry subformation per unit. If I didn't make this limit you could make 5 cavalry units of 1 cavalry subformation each, and then surround the unit you were attacking, except for that one side, where you had your "Hammer". It seems strange that this soft "Anvil" of cavalry could then prevent a retreat, and that would lead to the entire unit surrendering, if it tried to retreat.
As required: Above is the kills and losses table. Hopefully next turn I can report the fall of Adalia... or the turn after that. My forces are getting real close.
This is how everything looked after the moves were made. I did have combat a few other places, and I expect some officers will be leveling again, next turn. I am also moving closer and closer to Adalia. A small place, but everything counts. The more VPs for me = More PPs for me = less production for the Ottoman AI.
As can see from the above, this is how the closeup of the flank now looks. The Orange striped Cavalry (Imereti's forces) has only 5 cavalry men in it, so it is too small to be considered for attacking.
This is a setting I made to make sure that surrounding a unit required more than just 1 cavalry subformation per unit. If I didn't make this limit you could make 5 cavalry units of 1 cavalry subformation each, and then surround the unit you were attacking, except for that one side, where you had your "Hammer". It seems strange that this soft "Anvil" of cavalry could then prevent a retreat, and that would lead to the entire unit surrendering, if it tried to retreat.
As required: Above is the kills and losses table. Hopefully next turn I can report the fall of Adalia... or the turn after that. My forces are getting real close.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
"February 15th, 1802.
- The court is a buzz since I announced opportunities of gaining new lands in the conquered Ottoman territories. Ordinarily I would let the regional structure and nobility of areas I add to the Empire become a self-governing entity, if they were loyal to me, and me alone. However the Ottoman nobility and structure of their country makes this a bit difficult. Their religion is so different. So from this day forth, I have decreed that Ottoman lands are open to the nobility. I have already granted some lands to my most successful Generals, and they seem very pleased with that.
- Speaking of Generals, Kiselyov has marched into Adalia. The conquest I was told was easy. A sudden shift in weather in the area has helped a lot with the speedy movement of forces. General Ushakov, the elder, helped with the flank. Speaking of flanks, General Imereti has been getting more competent as of recent. I have decided to upgrade his command.
- Alexander, Tsar."
The beginning of Turn 36 had some positive news. Vuich got better, and is ready for command once again. Just as I needed a general for a new command I was making.
There were also two officers that leveled. Kiselyov got better, and so did Imereti. The one of little fame, has become a sneaky good officer. He has +40% to combat, the highest of any of my officers, except for Nostitiz who is level 14, and has + 57%. Imereti is only level 5.
I am proud of my officers. Does it tell? I'll be sad when one of them eventually dies. At least if it is one of the more accomplished ones.
I also survived a war weariness test. After the 20th + "when you went to war" turn they get repeated every 10 turns. And if you look at the test, you'll see a bug.
The negative effects are actually positive. You subtract negative 5 from 60, and get 65. So my test would be easier to pass. However I rolled so low that I would pass anyway. I'll have to fix that bug in the next version of the scenario...
- The court is a buzz since I announced opportunities of gaining new lands in the conquered Ottoman territories. Ordinarily I would let the regional structure and nobility of areas I add to the Empire become a self-governing entity, if they were loyal to me, and me alone. However the Ottoman nobility and structure of their country makes this a bit difficult. Their religion is so different. So from this day forth, I have decreed that Ottoman lands are open to the nobility. I have already granted some lands to my most successful Generals, and they seem very pleased with that.
- Speaking of Generals, Kiselyov has marched into Adalia. The conquest I was told was easy. A sudden shift in weather in the area has helped a lot with the speedy movement of forces. General Ushakov, the elder, helped with the flank. Speaking of flanks, General Imereti has been getting more competent as of recent. I have decided to upgrade his command.
- Alexander, Tsar."
The beginning of Turn 36 had some positive news. Vuich got better, and is ready for command once again. Just as I needed a general for a new command I was making.
There were also two officers that leveled. Kiselyov got better, and so did Imereti. The one of little fame, has become a sneaky good officer. He has +40% to combat, the highest of any of my officers, except for Nostitiz who is level 14, and has + 57%. Imereti is only level 5.
I am proud of my officers. Does it tell? I'll be sad when one of them eventually dies. At least if it is one of the more accomplished ones.
I also survived a war weariness test. After the 20th + "when you went to war" turn they get repeated every 10 turns. And if you look at the test, you'll see a bug.
The negative effects are actually positive. You subtract negative 5 from 60, and get 65. So my test would be easier to pass. However I rolled so low that I would pass anyway. I'll have to fix that bug in the next version of the scenario...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.
- ernieschwitz
- Posts: 4770
- Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:46 pm
- Location: Denmark
Re: The Annals of the Tsar - A Napoleonic Europe AAR
Now to the action.
But first a look at how the map in Turkey was, before the moves were made.
The first thing you will notice is that the horrible weather is gone! Great time for campaigning. Excellent movement distances. I use that movement to, with Ushakov the elder's forces, sweep along the coastline, making sure no unit is hiding there.
Then I decide that it is time to move Kiselyov into position to attack Adalia. The opposition turns out to be very light. Some staff and some levies. I guess I use a bit too many troops for the attack, and could have used them to advance further along the coast, but I was thinking more of the city than ahead.
Imereti's forces have been turning more and more East recently, and found themselves up against several infantry divisions. I took care of two of them, but there are still more. It will be interesting to see if the Ottoman AI tries to flank them, or goes to attack... or as he has done most of the game, pull back... and sneakily make threatening movements.
In any case here is the Kills and losses for the turn. I am happy with the numbers.
But first a look at how the map in Turkey was, before the moves were made.
The first thing you will notice is that the horrible weather is gone! Great time for campaigning. Excellent movement distances. I use that movement to, with Ushakov the elder's forces, sweep along the coastline, making sure no unit is hiding there.
Then I decide that it is time to move Kiselyov into position to attack Adalia. The opposition turns out to be very light. Some staff and some levies. I guess I use a bit too many troops for the attack, and could have used them to advance further along the coast, but I was thinking more of the city than ahead.
Imereti's forces have been turning more and more East recently, and found themselves up against several infantry divisions. I took care of two of them, but there are still more. It will be interesting to see if the Ottoman AI tries to flank them, or goes to attack... or as he has done most of the game, pull back... and sneakily make threatening movements.
In any case here is the Kills and losses for the turn. I am happy with the numbers.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
- Advanced Tactics Gold
DC: Warsaw to Paris
DC: Community Project.