Bombers to transport supplies.

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Post Reply
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

In playing the US in the Guadalcanal scenario. one of my problems is the air base at the tip of New Guinea, near Milne Bay. At the start of the scenario it holds a potentially useful P-40 squadron, which however just sits there because the base is completely out of fuel and supplies. Sending a transport ship over, even well escorted, is both impractical and suicidal. All the transports in Australia are down in Sydney and Brisbane, where are also the only two available DDs. Shipping in Noumea is also unavailable, because the little there is is already needed to supply Luganville and Port Vila, also critically short of fuel and supplies (most of the Noumea-based shipping is tied down with the landings on Guadalcanal and Tulagi).
Furthermore, any attempts to supply Milne Bay by sea would be plastered by IJN and IJAF air from Rabaul and other bases in New Britain and Eastern New Guinea. I've already tried.
I thought then of trying to send to Milne Bay supplies by air, using some of the many B-17 squadrons based in Townsville. If you click on one of them, air transport is offered as a mission, along with naval attack, search etc.
My question is, how do I tell the B-17s that I want them to fly with these supplies ONLY to Milne Bay. The manual gives no clue. Chapter 7 only says it can be done.
Thank you for any hints.
User avatar
Bo Rearguard
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Basement of the Alamo

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by Bo Rearguard »

nanni wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2026 2:35 pm My question is, how do I tell the B-17s that I want them to fly with these supplies ONLY to Milne Bay. The manual gives no clue. Chapter 7 only says it can be done.
Thank you for any hints.
It should just entail setting the bomber squadron to Supply Transport and setting Milne Bay as a destination. Of course, it has to be in range as well.

bomber-supply.jpg
bomber-supply.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 310 times

Your other option is using submarines on sub transport missions to haul in supplies to Mine Bay. They don't carry much but it's pretty much guaranteed to get there and every little bit helps.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

Great. I'll try it.
User avatar
Sardaukar
Posts: 12864
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Finland/Israel

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by Sardaukar »

Something to consider:

1. Receiving base has to have at least lvl 1 airfield to utilize supply transport shuttling. Range can be half of max range or less.
2. If there is no AF, supply transport utilizes paradrops, which can be done only up to normal range.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Image
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

Thank you.
Diliwitm
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by Diliwitm »

I think airbase damage matters too. I do not know the dmg threshold.
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

I'll test it out with the Guadacanal scenario as soon as I have some "breathing space".
User avatar
Yaab
Posts: 5615
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:09 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by Yaab »

If there is an airfield in the receiving base, aircaft will try to land on the airfiled to deliver supplies. Thus, you should have a Base Force at the receiving base to provide aviation suoport or you risk operational losses to aircaft on landing/take-off.
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

I'll check. But the isolated position of Milne Bay essentially means that I can only use the base "as is".
User avatar
btd64
Posts: 15211
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:48 am
Location: Lancaster, OHIO

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by btd64 »

nanni wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2026 10:15 am I'll check. But the isolated position of Milne Bay essentially means that I can only use the base "as is".
Can you post a screenshot of the map area and the base screen....GP
IntelUltra7 16cores, 32gb ram, NvidiaGeForceRTX 2050
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
WIS Manual Team Lead & Beta Support Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command" Gen. George S. Patton
WiS Discord channel coming soon....
nanni
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:54 pm

Re: Bombers to transport supplies.

Post by nanni »

That's ok. I got it to work. 3 squadrons of B-17s in Townsville flying supplies to Milne Bay. I chose the air supply missuon for all three and Milne Bay as destination.
Thanks everyone.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”