Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
MWIF MAGIC v0.01 Full Install
Draft of Install Instructions (also upgrade, patch)
(1) Available (via free version of dropbox) using links above to those (four) that have PM me with their email addresses requesting access.
(2) If you also wish access PM with email and I'll you.
(3) All you need to do is to unzip and place the MAGIC folder and its contents anywhere you like.
(4) It's imperative that you maintain the relative paths of the subfolders inside of the MAGIC folder.
(5) Next, you need to edit (using Notepad or Notepad ++) the highlighted (eight) paths to your specific install paths. (6) Finally (as stated above) execute by double clicking on, or running as administrator, the MWIF_MAGIC.exe file in the exe folder.
Draft of Install Instructions (also upgrade, patch)
(1) Available (via free version of dropbox) using links above to those (four) that have PM me with their email addresses requesting access.
(2) If you also wish access PM with email and I'll you.
(3) All you need to do is to unzip and place the MAGIC folder and its contents anywhere you like.
(4) It's imperative that you maintain the relative paths of the subfolders inside of the MAGIC folder.
(5) Next, you need to edit (using Notepad or Notepad ++) the highlighted (eight) paths to your specific install paths. (6) Finally (as stated above) execute by double clicking on, or running as administrator, the MWIF_MAGIC.exe file in the exe folder.
Ronnie
- paulderynck
- Posts: 8529
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Here's what happened when I ran a macro to convert the 255s in Ronnie's Hex control report to blue cells and did a little resizing. In this particular game there weren't too many neutral countries - looks like Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and Tibet, although South America wouldn't quite fit on the screen cap.Courtenay wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:14 am Looking at the 255s some more, they are either water or neutral minor countries. It would be nice if a distinction could be made.
Paul
- paulderynck
- Posts: 8529
- Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:27 pm
- Location: Canada
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Sure enough, most central and south American countries are neutral.
Paul
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Impressive. I'm having flash backs though. Looks like a computer generated map from the early 1980's. 
I'm definitely dating myself, but I do remember when graphics like this were considered cutting edge technology.
Those were the days. Real floppy disks (5 1/4 in) capable of storing a few 100 KBs. And if you were lucky enough to have a 5 MB or even 10 MB harddrive that was huge storage.
I'm definitely dating myself, but I do remember when graphics like this were considered cutting edge technology.
Those were the days. Real floppy disks (5 1/4 in) capable of storing a few 100 KBs. And if you were lucky enough to have a 5 MB or even 10 MB harddrive that was huge storage.
Ronnie
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
I would also like to test your utility, but apparently despite belonging to this board for years, I have yet to post enuff to send private messages. I don't know if you send me one if I can reply and get my email to you that way, but maybe we can try?
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Just PM you my email address. Email me back with yours and I'll added you and introduce you to the team.Libri wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:08 pm I would also like to test your utility, but apparently despite belonging to this board for years, I have yet to post enuff to send private messages. I don't know if you send me one if I can reply and get my email to you that way, but maybe we can try?
Ronnie
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
That worked! Thanks again Ronnie, you are the man!
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Hi, guys.
Time ago, I gave a try to the program, and it seemed to be working well.
However I thought maybe some more testing on my part was being expected, so I was somewhat unrestful.
These days I am starting a game, and to our astonishment, an IND 3-3 (I think I recall) INF corps appeared in Australia (136, 174). For the CW player it is unuseful as hell, and much more since he got a PART in India.
So he has moved with a CR one of them, and the other one (he didnt realise he could select leg inf as well) is a MOT INF , so he would need a TRS.
I tried to use Magic several times but I cannot complete the move, I am sure I did input the coordinates right and saved. I can make it by hand however.
I wanted to report it here cause I believe may be a bug. Maybe it could have to do with having to deduct 65536 to some Asian hexes... I enclose the file
P.D.: The files seem to be saved by Magic without an extension, shoudnt they have .GAM?
Time ago, I gave a try to the program, and it seemed to be working well.
However I thought maybe some more testing on my part was being expected, so I was somewhat unrestful.
These days I am starting a game, and to our astonishment, an IND 3-3 (I think I recall) INF corps appeared in Australia (136, 174). For the CW player it is unuseful as hell, and much more since he got a PART in India.
So he has moved with a CR one of them, and the other one (he didnt realise he could select leg inf as well) is a MOT INF , so he would need a TRS.
I tried to use Magic several times but I cannot complete the move, I am sure I did input the coordinates right and saved. I can make it by hand however.
I wanted to report it here cause I believe may be a bug. Maybe it could have to do with having to deduct 65536 to some Asian hexes... I enclose the file
P.D.: The files seem to be saved by Magic without an extension, shoudnt they have .GAM?
- Attachments
-
- NP - 2024_04_13_2106 - Ge.zip
- (1.46 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Yes, the files should have a GAM extension. However, Windows often does not show the extension. Check it by right-clicking and checking "Properties".
I thought I knew how to play this game....
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
In this case, the game saved by Magic does not seem to have the extension. Not showing it, but also the icon is different and MWIF doesnt call it a .GAM save game file, so it doesnt load it because it doesnt see it.Courtenay wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm Yes, the files should have a GAM extension. However, Windows often does not show the extension. Check it by right-clicking and checking "Properties".
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
I have tried to edit the file by hand as well, like 15 times, to no avail.
I checked the rules in The Layman's thread, and later consulted a fellow gamer acquaintance of mine, and he could using the very same numbers I used, at the first trial.
Then it seemed clear to me it most probably were 1- a matter of my writing the numbers wrong (like with one extra space somewhere) or 2- the wordpad (after W11, before there was no problem) has stopped being a good tool to edit.
The first case wouldnt expain Magic's failure when trying to do the same thing, but if magic uses Wordpad as I believe, the second one would be a possibility...
*****************
I edited (136, 174) 69806 ---> 69806 - 65536 = 4270
8408,41108,0,0,1023,65535,0,4270,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
to (90,119) 46199
8408,41108,0,0,1023,65535,0,46199,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
I checked the rules in The Layman's thread, and later consulted a fellow gamer acquaintance of mine, and he could using the very same numbers I used, at the first trial.
Then it seemed clear to me it most probably were 1- a matter of my writing the numbers wrong (like with one extra space somewhere) or 2- the wordpad (after W11, before there was no problem) has stopped being a good tool to edit.
The first case wouldnt expain Magic's failure when trying to do the same thing, but if magic uses Wordpad as I believe, the second one would be a possibility...
*****************
I edited (136, 174) 69806 ---> 69806 - 65536 = 4270
8408,41108,0,0,1023,65535,0,4270,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
to (90,119) 46199
8408,41108,0,0,1023,65535,0,46199,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
- Attachments
-
- Captura de pantalla 2024-04-16 160733.png (166.38 KiB) Viewed 4137 times
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Since it seemed it didnt work well with Notepad under W11, I downloaded and installed Notepad++ and it worked afterwards in other cases.
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Ronnie, can we now distribute the "program" to other MWIF users, making it totally clear that it is a shareware and they run it under their own responsability?
I have one mate who would like to try it.
I have one mate who would like to try it.
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Sure. I have no problem with that. The more the merrier.Joseignacio wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:12 am Ronnie, can we now distribute the "program" to other MWIF users, making it totally clear that it is a shareware and they run it under their own responsability?
I have one mate who would like to try it.
Ronnie
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Many thanks for the great work ! I just tested today thiseditor and it works perfectly. This will definitely help us in our game 
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Ronnie, one of the guys that I sent the link to the installation got this message, we do not have the Scripts folder either in the initial zip files or after installing.
I am guessing that that folder is created (and deleted?) by the installation process, same as the files called, activate.bat and ipython3.exe.
Sounds familiar? Sorry to disturb
I am guessing that that folder is created (and deleted?) by the installation process, same as the files called, activate.bat and ipython3.exe.
Sounds familiar? Sorry to disturb
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Jose, everything should be there ... but the installer must manually create the directory structure and edit 8 paths in the MWIF_MAGIC.cfg file to match that structure. See attached instructions below.Joseignacio wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:45 pm Ronnie, one of the guys that I sent the link to the installation got this message, we do not have the Scripts folder either in the initial zip files or after installing.
I am guessing that that folder is created (and deleted?) by the installation process, same as the files called, activate.bat and ipython3.exe.
Sounds familiar? Sorry to disturb
Captura de pantalla 2026-10-08 204128.png
Also, you're not running in script mode (that's a code developer mode) and requires python to be installed & have the MAGIC python code (scripts). You should run the install by clicking on the MWIF_MAGIC.exe file
Ronnie
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Ah, got it. Just run the EXE and not the BAT. Works now. Thanks!rkr1958 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:04 am Also, you're not running in script mode (that's a code developer mode) and requires python to be installed & have the MAGIC python code (scripts). You should run the install by clicking on the MWIF_MAGIC.exe file
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Empires in Arms Developer
- Joseignacio
- Posts: 3183
- Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: Madrid, Spain
Re: Utilities, Controllers & Bots, Oh My!
Ronnie, I knew that document, and sent it as well. It just seemed not to work for pzgndr and didnt know why.rkr1958 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 12:04 amJose, everything should be there ... but the installer must manually create the directory structure and edit 8 paths in the MWIF_MAGIC.cfg file to match that structure. See attached instructions below.Joseignacio wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:45 pm Ronnie, one of the guys that I sent the link to the installation got this message, we do not have the Scripts folder either in the initial zip files or after installing.
I am guessing that that folder is created (and deleted?) by the installation process, same as the files called, activate.bat and ipython3.exe.
Sounds familiar? Sorry to disturb
Captura de pantalla 2026-10-08 204128.png
Also, you're not running in script mode (that's a code developer mode) and requires python to be installed & have the MAGIC python code (scripts). You should run the install by clicking on the MWIF_MAGIC.exe file
MWIF MAGIC INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.zip
Thanks again.



