Coming back after long absence, did turn 1 Riga change?

A complete overhaul and re-development of Gary Grigsby's War in the East, with a focus on improvements to historical accuracy, realism, user interface and AI.

Moderator: Joel Billings

Post Reply
actrade
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:20 pm

Coming back after long absence, did turn 1 Riga change?

Post by actrade »

I used to easily take it on turn 1 by using 18A to bust and hole and move as far north as possible along the rail line to RIga, then have 4PG move up and use the motorized infantry to take it. Now, I'm having trouble taking it as my motorized infantry won't cross the river and attack from the east (out of MP) and I really don't want to use my armor. Just wondering if something changed from the earlier days or maybe I'm just slipping lol.
User avatar
Wiedrock
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Coming back after long absence, did turn 1 Riga change?

Post by Wiedrock »

Nothing rly changed.
actrade wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:43 pm [...] by using 18A to bust and hole and move as far north as possible along the rail line to RIga [...]
You need to make sure to avoid combat delay (there are special T1 rules for Hasty attack's combat delay).
actrade wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 3:43 pm [...] then have 4PG move up and use the motorized infantry to take it. Now, I'm having trouble taking it as my motorized infantry won't cross the river and attack from the east (out of MP) [...]
Also make sure you do not waste MP by losing Admin movement bonuses, see the white marked hexes here which may be some of the ones of concern depending on which path you take.
If you move into an enemy ZOC, there is no admin movement anymore, so you pay mroe MP (when the Hex cost mroe than 1 MP to begin with - like River crossings cost more, Heavy Woods, bad ground weather and so on...). You can compare the 3 pic's MP per Hex.
long path.PNG
long path.PNG (139.84 KiB) Viewed 238 times
direct path.PNG
direct path.PNG (142.4 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Attachments
MP Riga.PNG
MP Riga.PNG (825.34 KiB) Viewed 238 times
actrade
Posts: 494
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:20 pm

Re: Coming back after long absence, did turn 1 Riga change?

Post by actrade »

Ok, I get the turn 1 special rules regarding no ZOC basically north and west of Minsk. However, I'm not sure I understand the 3 circled white hexes signficance that you referenced?
User avatar
Wiedrock
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:44 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Coming back after long absence, did turn 1 Riga change?

Post by Wiedrock »

actrade wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:21 pm Ok, I get the turn 1 special rules regarding no ZOC basically north and west of Minsk. However, I'm not sure I understand the 3 circled white hexes signficance that you referenced?
Your issue are missing MP wiht your MOT Divisions. I just wanted to show you how you can easily lose MP without even knowing.
I have shown you some example before.
Incidentially I have marked exaclty the 2 MOT Divisions of relevance (being in 4th Pz. Group) in my Map.
You have to see the left path and the left 2 white circles, they go together.
And the right line with the right 2 circles.
If you want to take the two paths shown (which are some of the shortest routes), you have to empty/kick back the enemy units in those Hexes bfore moving your MOT units along those routes so you save MP by allowing your MOT Divisions to benefit from Adminitstrative Movement/Admin Movement (search the manual for the term).


EDIT: You obv. also need to beat the first enemy Units the lines cross through...and due to T1 special rules, those combats then need to be Hasty attacks ending with 10:1 and better final Odds to avoid combat delay.
Attachments
admin move.PNG
admin move.PNG (397.73 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Post Reply

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East 2”