Very SUCCESSFUL!!Mike Solli wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 1:49 pm I consider the attack successful. The odds were 1.57:1 and the forts were reduced from 5 to 4. That's a step in the right direction. I am now going to attack every 7 days.
BANZAI!!!
Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition
Very SUCCESSFUL!!Mike Solli wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 1:49 pm I consider the attack successful. The odds were 1.57:1 and the forts were reduced from 5 to 4. That's a step in the right direction. I am now going to attack every 7 days.
I use them for training. Once I get my bomber pilots trained to +50 skill ground, then I move them to any of those lousy 1E bomber groups and have them bomb CHI positions. That does 2 things: trains up the pilot exp (much faster than training) and keeps the CHI troops low on supply and morale. Essentially pins them in position. Yes, it uses more supply than straight training, but the EXP gain is faster and keeping the CHI units pinned until I can get around to killing them is worth it. I need a LOT of high exp LBA pilots in the late war for night bombing ...Mike Solli wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:55 pmI use the Mary and Ann for 1E ASW and naval search. They carry a 250 kg bomb. When I start to get my 2E bomber numbers increasing, I use the Sally (both models) and the Helen. Eventually, when I abdicate the air to the Allies, the IJA bomber force becomes primarily an ASW/naval search force. Losses are low and they become great Kamikazes later.sfatula wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:05 pmCurious what you use for land based aircraft for ASW then (early on)? Surely not those other useless bombers as the range is so small?Mike Solli wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 12:03 pm The Lily is one of those love/hate things. You either love them or hate them. I'm in the latter group.![]()
I don't know that anyone loves Japanese bombers, esp. the starting ones. Excluding naval attacks with torpedoes, we all like that.
My problem is that I'm no longer building any IJAAF 1E bombers. They're slowly being attrited away. I'm (very) slowly converting the 1E units to 2E, when I have the PPs and planes in the pool.sfatula wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:35 am If bombing the Chinese, it makes sense to use 1E for that as it will use less supply than a 2E Lily bombing. Also needs a smaller airfield. Makes sense.
The big advantage for me is number of planes for the AF size and that I can use AF=2 bases of which there are a lot, so I can lower the range => lower ops losses. In 42 and into 43 before I take all of CHI I can "harvest" 100's of pilots with ground bomb skill/exp > 70 ... and they all become my potential night bombing pilots in '44/45. Oh, not to mention all of those permanent VP's too.sfatula wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:35 am If bombing the Chinese, it makes sense to use 1E for that as it will use less supply than a 2E Lily bombing. Also needs a smaller airfield. Makes sense.
I have a LOT of IJAAF bomber pilots in the pool. Their ground bombing skills are >70 but the experience isn't that high.....yet.PaxMondo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:10 amThe big advantage for me is number of planes for the AF size and that I can use AF=2 bases of which there are a lot, so I can lower the range => lower ops losses. In 42 and into 43 before I take all of CHI I can "harvest" 100's of pilots with ground bomb skill/exp > 70 ... and they all become my potential night bombing pilots in '44/45. Oh, not to mention all of those permanent VP's too.sfatula wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 3:35 am If bombing the Chinese, it makes sense to use 1E for that as it will use less supply than a 2E Lily bombing. Also needs a smaller airfield. Makes sense.
![]()
![]()
![]()
My experience, for whatever it is worth ...Mike Solli wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:48 am
I have a LOT of IJAAF bomber pilots in the pool. Their ground bombing skills are >70 but the experience isn't that high.....yet.
Edit: I have a lot more than I thought. There are a BUNCH sitting in the units bombing Chungking. I need to swap them out.
That's a GREAT idea, Pax! Right now I train the following:PaxMondo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 2:09 pmMy experience, for whatever it is worth ...Mike Solli wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 11:48 am
I have a LOT of IJAAF bomber pilots in the pool. Their ground bombing skills are >70 but the experience isn't that high.....yet.
Edit: I have a lot more than I thought. There are a BUNCH sitting in the units bombing Chungking. I need to swap them out.
Training moves skill quite nicely, but exp is slow.
Missions improve exp nicely, but skill is slow.
So, for bombers (all including DB/TB) I train the skill up in training groups, but once I have my skills pretty close (>60), I put them into my CHI bombing groups and drive up the exp. DB/TB pilots get EXP this way, no Nav skill, but they do pick some ground bombing skill up ...
Ditto for fighters, I put them into rear area bases on CAP to finish their exp growth. I get use out of them, prevent sneak attacks (AI is really quite good at those), and grow their EXP ....
![]()
![]()
![]()
You are welcome. You technically can train to 70 exp, but it takes MONTHS to accomplish ... double digit months and sometimes that first digit is NOT a 1.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 11:31 am ... and get experience to 70+ too, which I couldn't get my way.
Thanks!
This is pretty much SOP for me from the war start ... I will attack with glen subs as well, BUT they are always in a group of 3 - 4 subs where their primary role is Scout.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 12:28 pm ... What I'm going to do is to use the Glen subs to spot where my naval search can't see, and have some fleet/RO subs with each Glen sub to go after targets of opportunity. Sort of form sub divisions of 1-2 Glen subs and 3-4 fleet/RO subs.
I'm stunned that you have been able to keep them separate for so long. I can rarely allow the KB to be broken up past about May 42 .... you're almost a year later. AMAZING!!!!Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 12:28 pm KB 1 is currently at Yokohama repairing its minor sys damage and will be ready to steam in 3 days. I'm sending it to Truk to team up with KB 2 where I will try to surprise the enemy carriers.
I've been too aggressive with my subs lately and have lost a few as a result.PaxMondo wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:30 pmThis is pretty much SOP for me from the war start ... I will attack with glen subs as well, BUT they are always in a group of 3 - 4 subs where their primary role is Scout.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 12:28 pm ... What I'm going to do is to use the Glen subs to spot where my naval search can't see, and have some fleet/RO subs with each Glen sub to go after targets of opportunity. Sort of form sub divisions of 1-2 Glen subs and 3-4 fleet/RO subs.
I'm stunned that you have been able to keep them separate for so long. I can rarely allow the KB to be broken up past about May 42 .... you're almost a year later. AMAZING!!!!Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 12:28 pm KB 1 is currently at Yokohama repairing its minor sys damage and will be ready to steam in 3 days. I'm sending it to Truk to team up with KB 2 where I will try to surprise the enemy carriers.![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
I have to admit that this strategy of Ted's is a winning one, and one that the IJ cannot easily defeat. If he can avoid any carrier clashes until early '44, his DeathStar at that point is (almost) unstoppable.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 4:51 pm Ted has been VERY conservative with his carriers. I have yet to see a US CV by name and only Formidable, Illustrious and Hermes among the Brits. Hermes was sunk and Formidable took a few hits but did not sink. They're just hanging out on the periphery and always down south. He has his 6 pre-war CVs still. I think he's waiting for his Essexes to begin arriving. I have all my carriers and 3 more CVs are coming in June.
Yes and the only answer to this is for the IJN is to be very aggressive with their carriers the firstest with the mostest. You can't be conservative vs conservative and have any chance as Japan...PaxMondo wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 11:27 pmI have to admit that this strategy of Ted's is a winning one, and one that the IJ cannot easily defeat. If he can avoid any carrier clashes until early '44, his DeathStar at that point is (almost) unstoppable.Mike Solli wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 4:51 pm Ted has been VERY conservative with his carriers. I have yet to see a US CV by name and only Formidable, Illustrious and Hermes among the Brits. Hermes was sunk and Formidable took a few hits but did not sink. They're just hanging out on the periphery and always down south. He has his 6 pre-war CVs still. I think he's waiting for his Essexes to begin arriving. I have all my carriers and 3 more CVs are coming in June.
But, you already know this ... so we watch fervently to see how Mike will work this one out!
![]()
![]()
![]()

The tenacious one is right! Find a way to sort of make him engage in a situation that is to your advantage, maybe in range of some LBA or CAP.Tanaka wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2026 12:40 am
Yes and the only answer to this is for the IJN is to be very aggressive with their carriers the firstest with the mostest. You can't be conservative vs conservative and have any chance as Japan...
Your last sentence is the key. Delay, delay, delay...GrosserKreuzer wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2026 12:37 pm Do early (US) carrier losses actually matter for the size of the DeathStar later in the war? With CVs that sunk prior to 44 getting replaced after 1.5 years, I think only small and british carriers are permanent losses.
Sinking a US CV still reduces the allied capability for the ~1.5 years.