Admirals Edtion - how would you change it?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

User avatar
Bo Rearguard
Posts: 795
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Basement of the Alamo

Re: Admirals Edtion - how would you change it?

Post by Bo Rearguard »

dpt182 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 8:12 pm
Hi, never occurred to me to use Russian ports, as soon as my S - subs finish upgrading at Seattle I'll send them to the nearest Russian port & base them out of there
thanks for the hint
David
The Russian ports are neutral and unavailable until the Soviet Union activates as a belligerent in August 1945.
Otherwise, we'd probably all be basing most of our sub fleets out of eastern Siberia.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
User avatar
BBfanboy
Posts: 20773
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:36 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Admirals Edtion - how would you change it?

Post by BBfanboy »

I've played with the Soviets activated and they still will not let you base a ship in their starting bases [country code 90 when you push the '4' key]. If you sent a tanker full of fuel to one of their bases you could offload the fuel but they will not let your ship refuel at their base - even the tanker that brought the fuel! Strangely, if your ship is damaged you can disband it for repairs and it will get repaired and refueled!

However, if the Russians conquer any bases you can use those like any Allied base because they still carry a different country code.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11276
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Re: Admirals Edtion - how would you change it?

Post by PaxMondo »

BBfanboy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 10:20 pm I've played with the Soviets activated and they still will not let you base a ship in their starting bases [country code 90 when you push the '4' key]. If you sent a tanker full of fuel to one of their bases you could offload the fuel but they will not let your ship refuel at their base - even the tanker that brought the fuel! Strangely, if your ship is damaged you can disband it for repairs and it will get repaired and refueled!

However, if the Russians conquer any bases you can use those like any Allied base because they still carry a different country code.
Frankly, this is as near reality as I think we can get for the game. Allies they may have been. Friendly would be stretching it. Just my opinion.



:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
PaxMondo
Posts: 11276
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Admirals Edtion - how would Pax change it?

Post by PaxMondo »

I will update this specific post as I think of things.

Air War
Line of Flight Interception
While in this era, air attacks could, and did, navigate hostile bases to get to their target, and were able to avoid AA installations that they knew about, they did not avoid CAP around those bases. This would be a major change to the air model, but it would also be a major improvement in the reality of it. Further, this advance sighting and interception would greatly improve the ID of the attacking raid in terms of composition and altitude and arrival over target ... meaning ALL of the CAP would be air-borne and over target, not rising to meet the attack. It might also entail that air attacks have a ROUTE created that they fly, not simply the straight line we have now.

Ex: targeting Tokyo from Guam, Yokohama and/or Chiba CAP would have to be fought through before the bombers could get to Tokyo. Currently, there can be some spill over from those 2 bases, but the reality was those CAP's had to be fought through. Think about the 8th air force bombing Germany. The air battles started LONG before they were over target ... same with Battle of Britain ... all of those lower England airfields were coordinated in their response.






:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Pax
User avatar
RangerJoe
Posts: 19763
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm
Location: Who knows?

Re: Admirals Edtion - how would Pax change it?

Post by RangerJoe »

PaxMondo wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2026 2:32 am I will update this specific post as I think of things.

Air War
Line of Flight Interception
While in this era, air attacks could, and did, navigate hostile bases to get to their target, and were able to avoid AA installations that they knew about, they did not avoid CAP around those bases. This would be a major change to the air model, but it would also be a major improvement in the reality of it. Further, this advance sighting and interception would greatly improve the ID of the attacking raid in terms of composition and altitude and arrival over target ... meaning ALL of the CAP would be air-borne and over target, not rising to meet the attack. It might also entail that air attacks have a ROUTE created that they fly, not simply the straight line we have now.

Ex: targeting Tokyo from Guam, Yokohama and/or Chiba CAP would have to be fought through before the bombers could get to Tokyo. Currently, there can be some spill over from those 2 bases, but the reality was those CAP's had to be fought through. Think about the 8th air force bombing Germany. The air battles started LONG before they were over target ... same with Battle of Britain ... all of those lower England airfields were coordinated in their response.






:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
WIS does emulate some of this.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing! :o

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
:twisted: ; Julia Child


Image
asday9
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:32 pm

Re: Admirals Edtion - how would you change it?

Post by asday9 »

for me its honestly just delegating all the staffwork. this game is already more or less a playable database, however information is often all over the place and unsortable. having to rely on third party trackers or AI analyzing your save for you is simply the worst part about this game. I am already supreme commander over the entire pacific theater, yet I have no one who sorts intelligence reports for me, I have no neat map that shows me contact sights or last days action. when I see a sub sighting buried somewhere in the ops report, I have to manually navigate to the hex thats listed there, check it out and then open the ops report again and scroll until I am back at where I was. this workflow is horrible.

I dont really care about having to run the logistics with the transport convoys, Ill do that (I mean you can already sort of automate those with auto convoys though I never tried it.) I simply want information thats sortable, filterable and viewable at a glance without having to look through a list by hand.

if theres one thing that grigsby games need, its pretty much this. the games would be much easier to play if important information was simply viewable at a glance.
Post Reply

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”