Hurtgen gets 5 stars

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
BlitzSS
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:00 am
Location: wasChicagoLand, now DC

Hurtgen gets 5 stars

Post by BlitzSS »

Hurtgen Forest gets 5 stars.
While the race to see which comes in the mail 1st continues: my tax rebate from Uncle Sam or the MC CD, I decided to start a campaign. Now before I go on I want to say that I truly appreciate and do understand all the hard work that goes into creating a scenario let alone a campaign game, so please don’t take me wrong here. This 1st game I had started and then quit: after my units had sweaped an area and advanced only to find that a vortex had opened up behind them poring in mass quantities of tanks. When my strategy to counter this teleportation was to put infantry at this vortex point I decided I had enough and that’s when I discovered how much I enjoyed hating Hurtgen. I’m only into the 2nd battle of this mini campaign, but within this scaled down war is a lot of great playable realism that has me hooked. There is a patch for the 4th battle, so it wasn’t perfect, but I’ll still give it 5 stars, unless it kicks my @$$ in the final push. Has anyone finished this one or are you all to busy enjoying MC!!!!
"Nuts"
murr
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 8:00 am
Location: OHIO U.S.A.

Post by murr »

I finished it with a draw , and loved every minute of it.There were quite a few surprises and it was a hard fought camp. each step of theway.The map designs were excellent to.Beautiful job WB.
GOOD HUNTING!
BlitzSS
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2000 8:00 am
Location: wasChicagoLand, now DC

Post by BlitzSS »

Hey Oggie, did you start out with victorys and slowly digress to hang on to a draw or was in tuff from the get go? Watch what you say we don't want to inflat WB ego :D too much!
"Nuts"
murr
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 08, 2001 8:00 am
Location: OHIO U.S.A.

Post by murr »

At first it started out with an easy advance ,I thought, but it soon turned into a meat grinder.The fighting for shmidt was especially hard and the victory locs. went back and forth.I thought this was one of the best designed scenarios for heated combat where it could literally go either way.I loved the guadalcanal camp. and this camp. reminded me alot of it as far as the type of intense combat that was there.WB deserves an ego but from his comments on the forum he strikes me as someone who doesnt put much stock into that stuff.Enjoy.
GOOD HUNTING!
Spellbinder
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Spellbinder »

Hi all,

I give it 5 starts, too!
Just read the threat "Any News from Kommerscheid and Schmitt" from Wild Bill, and you can read a little about the others' experience :D
Tense, is a little understatement, I suppose.
Ciao

Klaus
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

A little ego shot in the arm never hurt anyone, especially me ;) . I want to thank you for the fine reports in this post.

I'll be honest with you guys. Just as in anything else special, sometimes a feeling comes over you. You say to yourself, "YEAH! This is just as it should be." The passion flows freely and the pieces fit together.

The thing that impressed me the most about "The Hated Hurtgen" was how true to history it played, all the way through. It starts off slow, builds tension to a rising crescendo and a sad retreat. There was an intense feeling in doing it that rang a bell inside of me.

BUT, let me say this. I had perhaps the best crew of top-grade testers for this one. I attribute a lot to them...an awful lot.

As I've often said, testers are the linemen who open the hole for a designer to hit and go for a touchdown.

Then of course, fine gamers like you who know how to encourage someone with words of kindness mean more than I can say.

I did not mean for this to be a speech. Thanks, my fellow warriors!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

Post by Wild Bill »

Be sure and get the patch for the fourth battle of the campaign from Fabio "Tiger" Prado's site. Go here and just scroll down till you find it.
http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_camps04.htm

Otherwise you might not make it through that fight at all :eek:!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”