SPWaW upgrade download Success! Etc.

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Barry Wilson
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Ontario, OR

SPWaW upgrade download Success! Etc.

Post by Barry Wilson »

Guys, I finally managed to find a site where I could get the downloads for 5.02, 5.03 and 6.01 (www.fprado.com), and they are ready to install to my 5.01 version of SP. Question.
Why do I have to delete the steel.prf file before each upgrade? I'm going to do it, but before I do I'd like to know why.

Another question. Will the upgrades wipe out the one saved game I've entered?

Yet another question. What else might I need to add to my game (other than the Mega Campaigns -- LOL) before I'll be compatible with all you folks and then be able to enjoy this game to the full?

Again, thanks for all your help and patience with me in this endeavor.
User avatar
Huffy
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2000 8:00 am
Location: ,USA

Post by Huffy »

Hi Barry...well...as far as why the prf files..I'll let the comp. guru's answer that one for you. But...as far as being compatible with the rest of us....you are now... just play , and enjoy the game . You have V 6.1, and that is the latest one. You will visit this page more and more, and read and learn...it is a great forum here.
Welcome....to the SPWAW family.
Take care...
Huffy
User avatar
Warrior
Posts: 1648
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2000 10:00 am
Location: West Palm Beach, FL USA

Post by Warrior »

Deleting steel.prf avoids problems with the upgraded mech.exe. Why, exactly, is a mystery to me, but I've found that if I have problems with the game acting strangely, I can almost always fix it by re-deleting steel.prf. Since it regenerates when you open the game again, it's no huge loss, you just have to reset your preferences.

If you have a game saved, transfer your save files somehwere out of the game while you install the upgrade. Then just copy them back in (minus the old steel.prf, of course).

Incidentally, you don't need the v5.3 upgrade, you can go directly from v5.2 to v6.1.

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: Warrior ]
Retreat is NOT an option.

Image
Supervisor
Posts: 5160
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:00 am

Post by Supervisor »

Barry:
Just to save you any heartache you might experience, if you go through all the updates and the game doesn't report the proper ver #, delete the mech.exe in the main SPWAW dir prior to updating and that will clear that issue up. The only other patch you'll need is located at the Armor Site entitled "Wild Bill Wilder Revised Desert Fox Megacampaign Scenario Pack! Monday, July 23, 2001", http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/spwaw_downloads.htm this will fix a bug within the MegaCampaign and will not make any changes to the version #'s. When updating to 6.1 you don't have to delete the steel.prf file as the upgrade does it for you.
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”