A Bit Odd

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

A Bit Odd

Post by panda124c »

Over the weekend I was playing a WW II Campain (SPWaW 6.1) Germany vs France an Advance both sides. I kept waiting for the French Artillery but it never happend. After the game was over I check the French troops. The AI had bought 6 FT-17, NO Artillery (on board or off board) and Infantry (lots of Infantry). Final score 15,000 to >400 :D. I find it very odd that no artillery was purchased at all. Is this just a random happening or more common than it should be?
TheZel66
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Phila, PA

Post by TheZel66 »

with the latest changes to infantry effectiveness, the rules that govern AI purchasing needs to be changes to make sure Artillery is purchased.
Slind
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri May 25, 2001 8:00 am
Location: SLN, Finland
Contact:

Post by Slind »

I've been playing a long campaign with Germany, I started in 39 against Poland. It's now 42 and I've fought against the Soviet Union, the Brits, the France and the Poland and only "real" arty I've come across was against the Poland, they had some 105mm and 100mm OBs, the rest have only had 81mm mortars max.

It is odd.
A world without armies
may one day exist.
A nation without an army
will one day not exist.
User avatar
Alby
Posts: 4659
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Contact:

Post by Alby »

Ive noticed the AI usually buys the germans one or two 150mm
The USA ALWAYS has 105 SPA
The brits ALWAYS get sextons
the Russians ALWAYs 76.2

User avatar
tracer
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:00 am
Location: New Smyrna Beach, FL USA
Contact:

Post by tracer »

Hate to be the dissenting voice here, but I'm on the second battle of a long campaign as the Germans, and the AI has bought alot alot of arty both times for the French. Not sure about the offboard stuff, but I saw plenty of 75mm mle 1897 howitzers and 60mm mortars in the first battle (advance) and in the current one (defend) there's at least 50 smoke plumes behind the French lines indicating where *some* of their firing arty is.

Also should point out that the AI is pouring it on too...first a very lengthly pre-bombardment, and then I'm getting pasted after each turn. I snuck a couple of my motorcycle recon units back there and the 10 or so smoke plumes I got close to had 75mm howitzers under them. I can tell you from the last battle that the mortars are almost impossible to spot, even in the same hex (and this time they're entrenched!).

To wrap up, lemme just say that I think I found all the arty everyone is missing :mad:
Jim NSB ImageImage
panda124c
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Post by panda124c »

Originally posted by tracer:
To wrap up, lemme just say that I think I found all the arty everyone is missing :mad:
So that's where it all went. :D
It seems that the controling factor is the type of battle and country. Mine was an advance against a delay. It get's stranger because when I said that there was no artillery just infantry, I meant only infantry squads, no MGs, and no ATRs. I seem to remember something about the AI picking units in the order they are in the OOB or from a pick list, or something like that. Does anyone remember how this is done and could we get things changes around to get a better unit mix for the AI (it needs all the help it can get :D)
Post Reply

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”