An Aussie Beta Affair - Luskan V Raver!!!
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Me no understand...
In my latest game in UV, I sent a Surface combat taskforce to Brisbane for rest. 9 ships (size 9 port) and sat it there for 2-3 weeks. MY BB was in the worst shape at 14 sys damage. All my other ships were reduced significantly during that time but the BB was at 12 sys damage and had the smallest change (only 2 improvement). It would be great to say "forget everything else" and concentrate in fixing that BB for the next week or two.
Just a thought
JP
Just a thought
JP
RE: Me no understand...
OK, have the major repair capabilities of the bases that DO NOT have ship repair yards been limited? For example, let's say I lose a major gun turret on a BB. Can that only be repaired in a ship repair yard and no longer at any large base?
I'm trying to remember what the rule is for that particular one ... honestly it is beyond my memory right now. See if one of the other guys remember how it works.
RE: Me no understand...
In my latest game in UV, I sent a Surface combat taskforce to Brisbane for rest. 9 ships (size 9 port) and sat it there for 2-3 weeks. MY BB was in the worst shape at 14 sys damage. All my other ships were reduced significantly during that time but the BB was at 12 sys damage and had the smallest change (only 2 improvement). It would be great to say "forget everything else" and concentrate in fixing that BB for the next week or two.
You can do that effectively by sending the big boys to their own dedicated size 10 port and keeping the smaller ships out of the port so all the resources of the repair ship yard and repair ships go against the ships you want worked on.
RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I'm trying to remember what the rule is for that particular one ... honestly it is beyond my memory right now. See if one of the other guys remember how it works.
So many rules too few working brain cells left... [;)] Yes they will still repair at large bases I forget the size off the top of my head but think is it is a size 6. The process is much faster if done in a port with a repair facility or an large port with AR in attendance.
-
bradfordkay
- Posts: 8686
- Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
- Location: Olympia, WA
RE: Me no understand...
In UV it must be a size 5 port to undertake any weapons system repairs. Has this changed?
fair winds,
Brad
Brad
RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
In UV it must be a size 5 port to undertake any weapons system repairs. Has this changed?
No. It has not
Operation "Dandriff"?

RE: Me no understand...
Hi Dave & Luskan (AKA Banana boy),
Enjoying the AAR, thanks for the screenshots.
Have you ever tried to hold onto the line running through Java & Sumatra? I would assume that your main problem in that regard would be finding the political points to ship men and aircraft into ABDA?
JUST FOR FUN, To get around the political point problem, could you Fly off your US carrier airgroups and base them at a decent airfield in the DEI?
Once youve stripped your carriers, how difficult is it going to be at that stage of the war to find carrier capable airgroups to replace those youve flown off? (pretty difficult I would guess).
OR, of you wanted to be really wacky... could you use your empty carriers to ferry airgroups as needed?
(Trying to hold Java & Sumatra would be a challenge....). [:D]
Enjoying the AAR, thanks for the screenshots.
Have you ever tried to hold onto the line running through Java & Sumatra? I would assume that your main problem in that regard would be finding the political points to ship men and aircraft into ABDA?
JUST FOR FUN, To get around the political point problem, could you Fly off your US carrier airgroups and base them at a decent airfield in the DEI?
Once youve stripped your carriers, how difficult is it going to be at that stage of the war to find carrier capable airgroups to replace those youve flown off? (pretty difficult I would guess).
OR, of you wanted to be really wacky... could you use your empty carriers to ferry airgroups as needed?
(Trying to hold Java & Sumatra would be a challenge....). [:D]
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
RE: Me no understand...
G'day Stubby !
I guess that you could unload Cv aircraft at some point in the DEI, but there are some logistcal problems, the main one being not enough ground support troops in the DEI. Unlike UV aircraft can be transported in AKs. Also there is an issue of not having any airgroups to replace the one's off the CV. Nice idea though. Oh and then there is the problem of the IJN....the japs rule the waves and to them it would be like swatting flies.......just one or two bombardment TFs and that would be the end of that little experiment.
I would love to hold the Java line, but once Malaya and the PI falls it is all over red rover for the DEI. The IJN is just to strong, and can roll you up. Darwin and all of the Northern Aussie coast is at threat and it would not surprise me to see some future AARs where the IJN player lands in Oz.
I guess that you could unload Cv aircraft at some point in the DEI, but there are some logistcal problems, the main one being not enough ground support troops in the DEI. Unlike UV aircraft can be transported in AKs. Also there is an issue of not having any airgroups to replace the one's off the CV. Nice idea though. Oh and then there is the problem of the IJN....the japs rule the waves and to them it would be like swatting flies.......just one or two bombardment TFs and that would be the end of that little experiment.
I would love to hold the Java line, but once Malaya and the PI falls it is all over red rover for the DEI. The IJN is just to strong, and can roll you up. Darwin and all of the Northern Aussie coast is at threat and it would not surprise me to see some future AARs where the IJN player lands in Oz.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Me no understand...
And now we wait for the entire allied fanboy population to go nuts at the idea of a jap invasion of Oz . . . I'd never ever try such a thing . . . ok maybe but only if I knew Raver hadn't expected that I was going to have a go at it just because he managed to do it to me.
Operation Dandriff (not dandruff for the peanut gallery) - don't knock it. It will be the operation all others are compared against (although the logistics of it are giving me a headache).
No turn tonight (Raver is having a Bday, so it wouldn't be fair to make him do a turn that depresses him).
Operation Dandriff (not dandruff for the peanut gallery) - don't knock it. It will be the operation all others are compared against (although the logistics of it are giving me a headache).
No turn tonight (Raver is having a Bday, so it wouldn't be fair to make him do a turn that depresses him).
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?



-
Mike Scholl
- Posts: 6187
- Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
- Location: Kansas City, MO
RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: Luskan
And now we wait for the entire allied fanboy population to go nuts at the idea of a jap invasion of Oz . . . I'd never ever try such a thing . . . ok maybe but only if I knew Raver hadn't expected that I was going to have a go at it just because he managed to do it to me.
If you are waiting for me to go nuts, you'll have a long wait. While landings around
Darwin would be a further "stretch" of an already "overextended" Japanese Position,
the idea is not unrealistic. It's another "short hop" move such as the Japanese had
been making since the war began, and the Darwin area is rather isolated from the
rest of Australia. Japanese invasions of Oahu or the West Coast or India/Ceylon are
rediculously far-fetched if the historic shipping and troop availabilities are in play---
but this would be just one more "bound" in an ongoing series. One hopes the Japs
are faced with realistic garrisoning requirements to keep this from getting too far out
of hand, but it's not an idea that is going to get howls of protest from me....
- Hornblower
- Posts: 1361
- Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 am
- Location: New York'er relocated to Chicago
RE: Me no understand...
Excellent so far. would an invasion of Darwin be more risker then Port Morsbey? (not trying for all of OZ, just that base) For the Japs Darwin would be in range of timor's airfield and others? and isn't it non-malaria and closer to there supplys. don't know if it would work or not, but would be interesting.
- Pascal_slith
- Posts: 1657
- Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:39 am
- Location: In Arizona now!
RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
One hopes the Japs
are faced with realistic garrisoning requirements to keep this from getting too far out
of hand, but it's not an idea that is going to get howls of protest from me....
Now here's an interesting point. If the Japanese take an Allied city/town with a significant population, like Manila or Darwin or Singapore, etc., and then leave no troops there (no garrison), does WitP model the possibility of a REVOLT (with the consequent loss of any industries/resources there)?
So much WitP and so little time to play.... 


RE: Me no understand...
WitP does not model 2nd line or garrison troops for either side. Closest you get is Chinese partisans.
RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: Nikademus
WitP does not model 2nd line or garrison troops for either side. Closest you get is Chinese partisans.
The game is completely broken. They should start over from scratch.


RE: Me no understand...
ORIGINAL: byron13
The game is completely broken. They should start over from scratch.![]()
[:o]
RE: Me no understand...
What does [:o] mean?
It makes about as much sense as
, which I don't get.
Are you [:-] me? Or are you
?
Whatever it means, I hope you are either [:D] or [;)] and not
Sorry, didn't mean to make everyone [>:]. I was just [&:].
It makes about as much sense as
, which I don't get.Are you [:-] me? Or are you
? Whatever it means, I hope you are either [:D] or [;)] and not

Sorry, didn't mean to make everyone [>:]. I was just [&:].

RE: Me no understand...
Mike - the isolation of Darwin is the australian's biggest problem. If you land enough troops (and are willing to sacrifice a percentage to the coastal defences and the forts) and you can swarm the place and take it - sit around for a month on your ass, and then bail the important inf units out long before any of the messed up Oz units at home can get to Darwin (and when they do get there, they've been on the road for weeks!).
Yes, Darwin is on the objective list - however that operation won't be mounted until Dandriff has succeeded or failed.
This morning's turn was a gem. To begin with almost all forces are in position for operation dandriff all over the map. This is excellent news. In china, Raver's chinese troops at Yenen put up a stalwart defence against me renewed assault (lots of reinforcements had arrived) and although it cost me a thousand troops, I drove him out into the northern wilderness. My troops will chase Raver's troops up the road to the next base - but after that I'll have to stop, supply line, length of my defences and of course - the fact that there isn't really any further to go in the north. The reason Yenen took so long to take is simple - in the first game where I snatche dit early, I literally ronuded up every IJA inf unit in a 300 mile radius and off they went. This time, I have left at least a division or very large regiment at EVERY BASE in china, a: to prevent partisans, and b: to ensure Raver's chinese don't try and slip through the lines. This is also why hangchow took so long to take . . . but take it I did this turn as well, driving thousands of cinese down the road to Wuchow (and best of all, my troops followed them down the road!). A garrison is on its way to hangchow with eng, art and a smaller, fresh regiment, while my army will chase Raver's troops past Canton to Wuchow.
Once Wuchow falls, I can easily snatch Ichang, and have cleared almost all the dangerous sized airfields in range of japan. Pushing back inland from the Canton/hanoi railway won't be so easy - but it depends how many of Raver's troops escape.Fortunately I am also garrisoning every hex of railway to have a continuous defensive line.
In more good news, my newly landed eng and art units in malaya reached alor star and proved the difference, pushing Raver's troops out (although in all three "victories" my armies have claimed this turn, in each case, taking the base has cost me more troops than it did Raver). Raver's troops are retreating to Georgetown, and my troops will take a couple of turns to recoup, rest and prepare for the next step in the drive (and of course, again, wait for the garrison to arrive before they leave) before moving on down the peninsula in pursiut. A few small units from Kuantan are gonig to rty and reach malacca and cut off georgetown and KL from singapore - but I timed it badly - I don't think I can get there before Raver's troops slip by on their way south.
Raver has spotted my little build up at Vigan - and the 65th Brigade moving towards Tugeragao to uphold the fighting there (I'm actually loosing more men that Raver there at each turn. Not very many - but enough to be disheartening). As long as I have the strength there to make Raver's life a problem if he retreats from his forts, I'm happy. Especially since My troops at naga are receiving reinforcements very very soon.
Where is Kido Butai the world wonders?? Well, it has had a few adys off (like all my cvs over the last few turns). They are in position and ready for Dandriff, which should begin in two or three turns (although it will take more than a week before Raver sees it coming).
Yes, Darwin is on the objective list - however that operation won't be mounted until Dandriff has succeeded or failed.
This morning's turn was a gem. To begin with almost all forces are in position for operation dandriff all over the map. This is excellent news. In china, Raver's chinese troops at Yenen put up a stalwart defence against me renewed assault (lots of reinforcements had arrived) and although it cost me a thousand troops, I drove him out into the northern wilderness. My troops will chase Raver's troops up the road to the next base - but after that I'll have to stop, supply line, length of my defences and of course - the fact that there isn't really any further to go in the north. The reason Yenen took so long to take is simple - in the first game where I snatche dit early, I literally ronuded up every IJA inf unit in a 300 mile radius and off they went. This time, I have left at least a division or very large regiment at EVERY BASE in china, a: to prevent partisans, and b: to ensure Raver's chinese don't try and slip through the lines. This is also why hangchow took so long to take . . . but take it I did this turn as well, driving thousands of cinese down the road to Wuchow (and best of all, my troops followed them down the road!). A garrison is on its way to hangchow with eng, art and a smaller, fresh regiment, while my army will chase Raver's troops past Canton to Wuchow.
Once Wuchow falls, I can easily snatch Ichang, and have cleared almost all the dangerous sized airfields in range of japan. Pushing back inland from the Canton/hanoi railway won't be so easy - but it depends how many of Raver's troops escape.Fortunately I am also garrisoning every hex of railway to have a continuous defensive line.
In more good news, my newly landed eng and art units in malaya reached alor star and proved the difference, pushing Raver's troops out (although in all three "victories" my armies have claimed this turn, in each case, taking the base has cost me more troops than it did Raver). Raver's troops are retreating to Georgetown, and my troops will take a couple of turns to recoup, rest and prepare for the next step in the drive (and of course, again, wait for the garrison to arrive before they leave) before moving on down the peninsula in pursiut. A few small units from Kuantan are gonig to rty and reach malacca and cut off georgetown and KL from singapore - but I timed it badly - I don't think I can get there before Raver's troops slip by on their way south.
Raver has spotted my little build up at Vigan - and the 65th Brigade moving towards Tugeragao to uphold the fighting there (I'm actually loosing more men that Raver there at each turn. Not very many - but enough to be disheartening). As long as I have the strength there to make Raver's life a problem if he retreats from his forts, I'm happy. Especially since My troops at naga are receiving reinforcements very very soon.
Where is Kido Butai the world wonders?? Well, it has had a few adys off (like all my cvs over the last few turns). They are in position and ready for Dandriff, which should begin in two or three turns (although it will take more than a week before Raver sees it coming).
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?



RE: Me no understand...
(for those without a dictionary Dandriff means swift.)
I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
RE: Me no understand...
I am of the opinion that Darwin and Derby and Broome are a "must-take" for the IJN.......if they don't take Darwin then the allied player has a spring board for Timor....it is the domino effect, once the allies take Timor than they can move onto X. But if the allied player has to first re take Darwin, well that is going to require a full invasion that will have no air support except with what ever CV the allied player can muster. Sure the Allies could always march troops up from Alice Springs, but it is a bloody long way, and by the time they march there they are going to be exhusted. For the IJN player it is all win win. Having Darwin denies the allies a spring board, you can support the place well from the DEI and with the support of Timor can make the allied player pay dearly for any attemp to retake it....all for the low cost of a small "ish" garrison.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
RE: Me no understand...
Its a misnomer. This bloody thing is taking forever (and I've started to have second thoughts about elements of the plan. We'll see how stage 1 goes.ORIGINAL: Mogami
(for those without a dictionary Dandriff means swift.)
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?










