An Aussie Beta Affair - Luskan V Raver!!!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

bradfordkay
Posts: 8686
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:39 am
Location: Olympia, WA

RE: Me no understand...

Post by bradfordkay »

Operation Dandruff has been approved by the high command - something that should really give Raver a nasty few shocks.

" quote:

ORIGINAL: Mogami

(for those without a dictionary Dandriff means swift.)


Its a misnomer. This bloody thing is taking forever (and I've started to have second thoughts about elements of the plan. We'll see how stage 1 goes."

_____________________________

Maybe it really is more like the first name you gave it - just falling into place...
fair winds,
Brad
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Luskan »

Another vicious turn's pacific fighting. Raver's bombers consistently do better and better every turn - they often doa bit better than the combat report suggests.

First up this turn, 4 of Raver's chinese INF units attacked hangchow (empty) because my troops had all pursued Raver's retreating units down the railroad -so they captured it. Never mind - I slaughtered another couple of thousand of Raver's retreating troops - my troops are still in supply and Raver's troops at hangchow are cut off and will not represent a problem (there just aren't enough of them).

Raver's remnants of troops on mindanao are starving and cut off - although there are more survivors than I had believed. I'll have them surrender fairly soon.

My troops headed up the Burmese coast have kciked Raver's retreating troops back up the road.

Operation Dandriff (originally I meant to call it this but mispelt it) has been approved for stage one and has launched. Sooner or later Raver is going to spot a few things happening in different spots on the map and he's going to react. How soon he spots it, and how fast he reacts will decide whether or not we go to stage 2.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
Pascal_slith
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:39 am
Location: In Arizona now!

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Pascal_slith »

ORIGINAL: Luskan


Operation Dandriff (originally I meant to call it this but mispelt it) has been approved for stage one and has launched. Sooner or later Raver is going to spot a few things happening in different spots on the map and he's going to react. How soon he spots it, and how fast he reacts will decide whether or not we go to stage 2.

Why not change the name to Operation Snowjob? [8D]
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Image
TIMJOT
Posts: 1705
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Me no understand...

Post by TIMJOT »

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
. Japanese invasions of Oahu or the West Coast or India/Ceylon are
rediculously far-fetched if the historic shipping and troop availabilities are in play---

Whoa..... down there Mike. I wouldnt be so hasty as to include Ceylon in that group. Ceylon was both operationally and logistically doable. The IJN staff did the peliminarly planning for it back in Feb.42, and concluded it would be possible with the Southern Area Army reserves and assets and shipping already in the SRA. It would have had to been attempted immediatley following the SRA campaign in the March/April/May 42 time frame.

And before you say it. NO it would not have caused mass starvation in Japan.
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: TIMJOT
ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl
. Japanese invasions of Oahu or the West Coast or India/Ceylon are
rediculously far-fetched if the historic shipping and troop availabilities are in play---

Whoa..... down there Mike. I wouldnt be so hasty as to include Ceylon in that group. Ceylon was both operationally and logistically doable. The IJN staff did the peliminarly planning for it back in Feb.42, and concluded it would be possible with the Southern Area Army reserves and assets and shipping already in the SRA. It would have had to been attempted immediatley following the SRA campaign in the March/April/May 42 time frame
Yes, the Imperial Japanese NAVY's staff planned several "long-ranged" operations during
that time..., and the Imperial Japanese ARMY's staff told them they didn't have the troops
for them. He11, the IJN's staff was still planning offensives to capture New Caledonia
and the Fiji's AFTER Guadalcanal was lost. Realistically, the troops and support for such
operations just weren't available. Look at the miserable time the Japanese had trying
to supply the Army on Guadalcanal from Rabaul in 1942. And you think they can main-
tain an Army on Ceylon from Singapore? Japanese "planning" took a "nose-dive" as soon
as the carefully crafted pre-war operations were completed. From then on almost every
plan was either a "pipe dream" or a failure.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Me no understand...

Post by mogami »

Hi, There is a really funny thing about "troop availbility"

High Commands never have troops to spare before a situation is hopeless.

(look at all the divisions the Japanese allow to be cut off in the Solomons and New Guniea and how many troops Hitler sent to Africa at the end)
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Me no understand...

Post by tsimmonds »

From then on almost every
plan was either a "pipe dream" or a failure.
But was that due more to the difficulties inherent in the contemplated operations, or to the screwedup command structure that had the IJN and IJA each basically fighting its own war? The IJA just wasn't interested in anything much besides its continental operations, and it certainly didn't need the IJN's help with anything it was planning to do (or so it seemed to them at the time--keeping the US at bay for a few more years might have been useful to the IJA as it turned out). IJN on the other hand, needed IJA's troops for just about any operation it could conceive....except Midway....
Fear the kitten!
norsemanjs
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Enderlin, ND, USA

RE: Me no understand...

Post by norsemanjs »

Thanks for the fun ARR guys!

It feels like the Chinese operations happen much quicker than I would expect. These relatively large land battles over a poor transportation system should be much more drawn out affairs shouldn't they?

Anyone have any dates of actual ops to justify the quik moves we've been seeing in these AAR's
norsemanjs
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Enderlin, ND, USA

RE: Me no understand...

Post by norsemanjs »

By the way, my guess is that the upcoming TOP SECRET operation is against ceylon/India.

Anyone else want to venture a guess?
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Raverdave »

I have no idea what Luskan is talking about....his is under real threat in China as you can see from the map. The 33rd Army group has retaken Keweilin thus cutting off supply from his troops that are chasing me. Changsha is cut from Nanchang and I have more troops moving to cut the other supply route into Changsha as well of some troops moving to stop supplies coming out of Canton. (however having posted this map Luskan now knows where I am and what I am doing but in the interest of keeping you all informed I thought I would post the map).

My CVs have ecsaped the net of Luskan's subs and are now racing north to cause some mayhem where he least expects it. It is going to feel nice sinking some of his exposed ships![:)]

Image
Attachments
China.jpg
China.jpg (175.91 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
sven6345789
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Sandviken, Sweden

RE: Me no understand...

Post by sven6345789 »

reminds me of Murphys laws of combat.

If you are short of everything except enemies, you are in combat!

if both sides think they are loosing, they are probably both right!

(there are several others, but i don't remember)

...wait
FRIENDLY FIRE, ISN'T!!!!!
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Luskan »

Poor misguided Raver. Where arehis cvs? no idea. But as for where his troops in china are headed . . . It doesn't matter - I've got troops in every hex of railway. I've penetrated his lines better than he has mine - his troops will be the cut off ones, not mine (because none of my troops are on his map.

I expected this.

Operation dandriff was stalled (I realised) but I've fixed it up and we're underway again. Raver will see a few things in this turn's combat replay that he'll wonder at. I sort of hoping his cvs come up to Darwin and then north - but I think he knows that the area will be a little too hot to risk his CVs in the future so he wouldn't risk it. I have sent the turn - but won't spoil all the surprises.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Raverdave »

....................and I am waiting for my turn but my mail is paying up ! I can see the bloody thing on the Email server but it is taking hours to download, and then I get a failed message ![&:]
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by DoomedMantis »

the answer is broadband, best thing I ever bought
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Raverdave »

YEAH IF YOU CAN GET !!!!!![:@]
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by DoomedMantis »

oh I forgot, your from Melbourne, have you guys go electricity yet?

Also optus have some deal were you can get Broadband through your phone, have you looked at that?
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: Me no understand...

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: DoomedMantis
you can get Broadband through your phone, have you looked at that?

Raver can't talk that fast.

Anyway, I live in rural Californ-I-A U-S-A and am stuck with 56k, so you upside down people aren't too far behind us cultural idols.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by DoomedMantis »

Behind you, you guys are at least 14 hours and 10 light years behind us
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Raverdave »

I can't get it because it is not turned on at my local exchange, so OPTUS would be a waste of time.
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Rendova
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:12 am
Location: Atlanta

RE: Me no understand...

Post by Rendova »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

Anyway, I live in rural Californ-I-A U-S-A and am stuck with 56k, so you upside down people aren't too far behind us cultural idols.

California?!? Didn't you guys fall in the Ocean and while back from an Earthquake?[&:]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”