An Aussie Beta Affair - Luskan V Raver!!!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
stubby331
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

RE: SRA

Post by stubby331 »

ORIGINAL: Luskan

I'm not posting any screenies for a bit (It would give too much away!) soon though.

I've siphoned all thr troops out of manchuria I can get my hands on. Any more and the russians might activate.

As for zeros - yes, I ahve cancelled production of several aircraft types and diverted it to more powerful aircraft types. My zero production is going to be huge.

All you need now are the pilots to fly them....
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: SRA

Post by Raverdave »

ORIGINAL: fabertong

Ouch....Remind me not to be a buffalo pilot.


Yeah tell me about it[X(] That really hurt
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: SRA

Post by Luskan »

I smacked Raver into NEXT WEEK at darwin. Why did I waste so many damaged batties to put a single torp into the De Ruyter last turn? So that this turn when the kongo and her huge surface combat group swept into darwin harbour the burnin light cruiser gave the allies away. my ships got surprise and I had one damaged cl to show for it. Raver lost 2 or 3 light cruisers sunk, 2 or 3 damaged, 6 dds sunk and at least that many ablaze and crippled. he'll post the cr. was too just much fun.

Prong 3 -m,uch awaited, will be revealed next turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: SRA

Post by DoomedMantis »

I just lost 59 planes to Mogamis 7 in an attack on some of his CV's by my mostly unescorted bombers from Singapore

Now that hurt
ORIGINAL: Raverdave
ORIGINAL: fabertong

Ouch....Remind me not to be a buffalo pilot.


Yeah tell me about it[X(] That really hurt
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: SRA

Post by Raverdave »

The Battle of Dawin has just begun, and it has not dawned well for me. As Luskan has already posted his huge amada of ships steamed into Dawin harbour and blew away half of the 19 CA's CL's and DDs that I had sitting there. They were hoping to ambush what was expected to be a small Tf of only 9 ships which was spotted two days ago, but the search aircraft made a grave mistake in the count and the navy paid dearly for it. Also sighted some 180 miles north of Darwin is the AP TF that nodoubt is carrying the ground troops for the second part of the battle of Darwin. It is not that this has come as a surprise, as I have long been saying that it is a vaild IJN target, but I have not got the troops enough to defend the place. Luskan should have at least one divison in his transport TF, anything less would be a waste of effort. I have just a few small battalions waiting to defend their homeland against the Jap.

Some good news for a change, the heros of the PI gave Luskan a really good bloody nose at Clark. Foolishly Luskan sent in his troops but must have set them to "march" rather than all "follow". What these means is that the faster units will get to the destination one or even two turns before the main body of the army does, and this is exactly what happened! The first to arrive yesterday were the Armoured regiments in their fun little tankets, today the Arty and the engineers arrived and got soundly smacked, sent scurring back into the adjacent hex! Now the next turn I expect the infantry to arrive without the support troops (whom I beleive are still running) and if I can give them a good slapping than I may be able to hold both Clark and Manila for at least another month or so !
The Battle of Dawin has just begun, and it has not dawned well for me. As Luskan has already posted his huge amada of ships steamed into Dawin harbour and blew away half of the 19 CA's CL's and DDs that I had sitting there. They were hoping to ambush what was expected to be a small Tf of only 9 ships which was spotted two days ago, but the search aircraft made a grave mistake in the count and the navy paid dearly for it. Also sighted some 180 miles north of Darwin is the AP TF that nodoubt is carrying the ground troops for the second part of the battle of Darwin. It is not that this has come as a surprise, as I have long been saying that it is a vaild IJN target, but I have not got the troops enough to defend the place. Luskan should have at least one divison in his transport TF, anything less would be a waste of effort. I have just a few small battalions waiting to defend their homeland against the Jap.

Some good news for a change, the heros of the PI gave Luskan a really good bloody nose at Clark. Foolishly Luskan sent in his troops but must have set them to "march" rather than all "follow". What these means is that the faster units will get to the destination one or even two turns before the main body of the army does, and this is exactly what happened! The first to arrive yesterday were the Armoured regiments in their fun little tankets, today the Arty and the engineers arrived and got soundly smacked, sent scurring back into the adjacent hex! Now the next turn I expect the infantry to arrive without the support troops (whom I beleive are still running) and if I can give them a good slapping than I may be able to hold both Clark and Manila for at least another month or so !

Image
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (114.9 KiB) Viewed 357 times
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: SRA

Post by fabertong »

I feel your pain.
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: SRA

Post by Luskan »

Now feel mine!

Prong three struck, and fortunately it will work, but it has cost me more than a few ships and almost a thousand men. And although Darwin is certainly on my list - I just don't have the troops to devote to it untli malaya falls. Fortunately I took Taiping this turn, and also took Kuala lumpur, which leave me in control of 80% of the peninsula and Raver's troops fleeing towards singapore in disarray. Malaya is just about over. Which is good - there is oil in the DEI I need to steal, and a few divisions aren't going to get any R and R - they're headed for PI and Darwin and Balikpapan and Tarakan, and maybe Port Moresby.

And of course, the mop up operations in and aronud the PI have started with small landings that will hop around from base to base. So many objectives. Honan will fall this turn or next, and then I'll have a big enough surplus to finish wuchow and kweilin and control my railway line from top to bottom.

I lost plenty of ships to subs this turn (at least three) and sank one of Raver's. Still glowing about my victory at darwin. It will get better and better down there, especially if my 2nd cv division comes to play (my admirals are screaming at me to do something about perth, not to mention the 5 cas sighted by one of my subs headed north past QLD towards darwin (Raver's going to throw aussies to the slaughter).
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: SRA

Post by Luskan »

Forgot to post the CR [8|]

Prong three is revealed. Suva. (Fiji). Raver had planes there, but didn't spot my BLOODY slow transports and escorts on the way in. The coastal battery did well, but I've got so many troops ashore it is all over. Noumea is cut off from the US, as is Australia. A big airfield there, I've got engineers, a cd unit, garrison and aviation troops with betties and zeros ready to ship in. Raver is in trouble.

I had half my cvs covering this for so long (but have sent all cvs back into the SRA except for prong 1 - got to give it to Raver, he's very scarce in the indian ocean).



AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 01/04/42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coastal Guns at Suva, 86,114, firing at TF 33
TF 33 troops unloading over beach at Suva, 86,114


1763 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
CL Katori, Shell hits 7
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 12
AP Uji Maru, Shell hits 6, on fire,
PG Kaiun Maru, Shell hits 5
PG Daido Maru, Shell hits 12
AP Shintoku Maru, Shell hits 10, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 5, on fire
PG Kantori Maru, Shell hits 7
AP Kaito Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
AK Hirokawa Maru, Shell hits 4
AP Aratama Maru, Shell hits 4, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
855 casualties reported
Guns lost 11

Allied ground losses:
53 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coastal Guns at Suva, 86,114, firing at TF 33
TF 33 troops unloading over beach at Suva, 86,114


628 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Asanagi, Shell hits 3
PG Santos Maru, Shell hits 4
PG Chokai Maru, Shell hits 1
CL Katori, Shell hits 5

Japanese ground losses:
139 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 45,46

Japanese Ships
TK Ogurasan Maru, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
MSW Asahi Maru #2
PC Ch 17

Allied Ships
SS Perch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 44,46

Japanese Ships
AK Hitati Maru
MSW Asahi Maru #2
PC Ch 17

Allied Ships
SS Sargo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 36,46

Japanese Ships
AO Tsurumi, Torpedo hits 2, on fire
MSW W.4

Allied Ships
SS KXIV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Suva at 86,114


Allied aircraft
Hudson I x 12


Allied aircraft losses
Hudson I: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
DD Mochizuki
CA Kako

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x Hudson I bombing at 15000 feet
3 x Hudson I bombing at 15000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Tarakan at 33,61


Allied aircraft
Brewster 339D x 3
Martin 139 x 1


Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Mutsu

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on TF, near Khota Bharu at 24,45

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 8

Allied aircraft
Wirraway x 4

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
Wirraway: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
AP Yuzan Maru

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Wirraway bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Darwin at 36,84

Japanese Ships
SS I-162

Allied Ships
CL Dragon, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 110,69

Japanese Ships
SS I-172

Allied Ships
PC Tiger
PC Reliance
DD Litchfield
DD Schley
DD Ward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Tarakan, at 33,61 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!


Allied aircraft


Allied aircraft losses
Brewster 339D: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

2 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
DD Yugumo
BB Mutsu
DD Hiyodori
DD Hasu
DD Tsuga
DD Kuri
DD Hayabusa
DD Hokaze
DD Karukaya
DD Fuyo
DD Asagao
DD Minekaze


Allied ground losses:
164 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

Runway hits 13
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Guiuan

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 2007 troops, 18 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 32 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Guiuan base !!!



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Malacca

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 51868 troops, 616 guns, 230 vehicles

Defending force 13473 troops, 58 guns, 5 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese assault odds: 27 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Malacca base !!!


Japanese ground losses:
256 casualties reported
Guns lost 7

Allied ground losses:
718 casualties reported
Guns lost 14
Vehicles lost 1


Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Wuchow

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 64646 troops, 803 guns, 24 vehicles

Defending force 68832 troops, 409 guns, 0 vehicles



Allied ground losses:
138 casualties reported
Guns lost 3


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Homan

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 134045 troops, 1452 guns, 160 vehicles

Defending force 69385 troops, 341 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1


Japanese ground losses:
1517 casualties reported
Guns lost 38
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
2147 casualties reported
Guns lost 31


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 29,33

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 21263 troops, 227 guns, 13 vehicles

Defending force 3537 troops, 39 guns, 1 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
171 casualties reported
Guns lost 3
Vehicles lost 5

Allied ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Guns lost 1


Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Kuala Lumpur

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 24298 troops, 264 guns, 90 vehicles

Defending force 3965 troops, 41 guns, 5 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 4)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Kuala Lumpur base !!!


Japanese ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
6698 casualties reported
Guns lost 35
Vehicles lost 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at 48,37

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 1605 troops, 6 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 8622 troops, 115 guns, 0 vehicles

Allied assault odds: 0 to 1


Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

Allied ground losses:
191 casualties reported
Guns lost 2


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Tuguegarao

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 7311 troops, 37 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 12368 troops, 170 guns, 0 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
2 casualties reported


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Naga

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 9523 troops, 92 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 55031 troops, 589 guns, 27 vehicles


Japanese ground losses:
30 casualties reported
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
Pascal_slith
Posts: 1657
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:39 am
Location: In Arizona now!

RE: SRA

Post by Pascal_slith »

Well, it's going to be interesting to see how your supply line to Suva holds up... [:D]

BTW, are there a lot of resources/industry in Australia and New Zealand?
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

Image
User avatar
fabertong
Posts: 4546
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:01 am
Location: Bristol, England, U.K.

RE: SRA

Post by fabertong »

My sympathy has been dispatched, and is winging its way in your direction.

Ouch.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: SRA

Post by Raverdave »

Suva ![X(] I never saw it coming. Drats ! But on the good side Suva is nice and close to NZ which has some good ports for Sub bases! I'm gonna starve the bugger !!!!
The bad part is that I am now at work and wil not be able to see the above move for the next 11 hours.[:(]
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: SRA

Post by pasternakski »

So WitP allows the Japanese enough military and logistical capability to invade - and capture - Fiji on January 4, 1942.

I guess the White House will fall by March.

You know, this had better not be a 70 dollar waste of time.
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: SRA

Post by Mr.Frag »

Japan can invade pretty much anywhere should players choose to not use the historical first turn due to the extended move allowed to all shipping. Allow it's use at your own peril or deny it's use and play historically.

One must look at these types of things realistically.

(a) Historical first turn
(b) Historical first turn with various outcomes
(c) Historical first turn with no surprise
(d) Free for all Japan
(e) Free for all Japan & Allies
(f) House Rules to limit FFA

The choice is yours! It is your $70 [:D]

One other thing to really note: Invading is the easy part. Logistics to feed them later is the tough part.
User avatar
pasternakski
Posts: 5567
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:42 pm

RE: SRA

Post by pasternakski »

No, no, no, no. I'm not buying this anymore.

There have to be some realistic constraints placed on Japanese ability to wander all over the world and land wherever the player wants, "historical" or "non-historical" first turn notwithstanding. This is war, not the Love Boat.

I have been one of the staunchest supporters of this company in these forums, but the pandering in the interest of "balancing the game" just has to stop.

I also absolutely object to the "it's your 70 dollars" nonsense.

I'll shut up now, because my pal Vic will probably want to dropkick me through the goalposts of life. Sometimes, I wonder why I hang around here. I know it's not because I enjoy AoW so much...
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: SRA

Post by Mr.Frag »

I don't get your issue. A special first turn ability was required for Japanese shipping to allow PH and other landings to happen. Because of this, the Japan player can abuse this ability should the Allied player agree.

Overall in the hands of two players who can agree on a acceptable middle ground, it is a perfect solution.

Should players not be able to agree on what constitutes acceptable, there are multiple options available for resolving this "dispute".

I fail to understand why you have an issue with people choosing the "free for all" option. It is between them what they do, not between you and 2by3.

Frankly, in the overall scheme of the game, anything Japan is allowed to do makes little difference to the end result. In effect, it makes things simpler for the USA because "they" have no delusions of being able to magically blunt Japan's advances until "they" build up "their" required support by "themselves" without paying attention to any of "their" Allies. [;)]
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: SRA

Post by Luskan »

He is going to get a game with zero to no replayability, and just about as much fun as watching paint dry because variation and variety and surprise are the spice of life. Why can't I invade suva? Why couldn't the japs do it in real life?? I guarantee a surprise attack, on the 2nd of jan by any japs troops would have been successfull and wouldn't have lost almost a thousand men so why are you bitching??

Every time I pull off a masterstroke some delicate little wargamer faints![8|]

I allocated the forces for this op on turn 1 - and although they didn't actually use the extended early move, they've been sailing at full speed NOT FROM JAPAN but from MUCH MUCH CLOSER for weeks. There is nothing at Suva to defend against my little invasion there. I'm going to take the place, dump in some supplies and then when the going gets tough, yank my planes out and leave a heroic group of defenders.

Japan does not have the logistic capability to supply Suva indefinately. In fact, not for very long at all. What it does allow me to do is break up communications at an early stage - and force Raver's resources further back from the SRA, where I'm still consolidating my position. The whole point of this is to stretch raver - force him to react (because if he doesn't I'm going to chop his supply line off). When I get the turn prong 3 will be a huge success, there will be lots of promotions and rejoicing. I was tempted to try Noumea but there are probably too many troops there to begin with (I've only used a couple of smaller forces, no divisions or regiments in this invasion!).

It isn't like PI is progressing as fast as it did historically - so in the grand scheme of things I'm behind, not in front.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: SRA

Post by Mr.Frag »

[:D]

I support you Luskan, personally though I would have gone for Noumea ... basically the same distance to go yet it already has a tasty airfield built up for you to get some aircraft in fast. Fiji is nice but takes time to build and doesn't have the massive stockpile of fuel that Noumea has. [;)]
norsemanjs
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Enderlin, ND, USA

RE: SRA

Post by norsemanjs »

I think it's a good move too. Raver cannot let you stay on such an important LOC, he will have to launch a counter at some point in the near future. For now he can send in his subs which will make it very costly to keep in supply. On the other hand where would you rather have his subs tied up?

This will probably make your Darwin operation a bit easier, he will be forced to deal with Darwin with what he has in that area and less likely to try and move units from the east.

This should tie up a decent amount of allied resources for a couple of months.
User avatar
Raverdave
Posts: 4882
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melb. Australia

RE: SRA

Post by Raverdave »

Yup....you idiot bananananana....it should have been Noumea.....all I have there are some REMFS sunbaking and mixing with the native girls.
Image


Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
norsemanjs
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Enderlin, ND, USA

RE: SRA

Post by norsemanjs »

Can you tell us what this op has cost you?

I have a feeling that the cost/reward should be pretty high.

It will be interesting to see what the ultimate cost to both of you will be for this op. And how many of Raver's resource you tie up and for how long.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”