Comparing MG's

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
User avatar
Mangudai
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: The Middle West

Comparing MG's

Post by Mangudai »

Since Flashfyre mentioned the German MMG42s as his favorite infantry on another thread I started comparing all the different MG's in the encyclopedia and testing different ideas against the AI. Based on stats, the MMG42 looks like the most lethal gun in town. But, I've been mostly playing the US, so most of my observations are regarding them.

I noticed that the AAMG's in the artillery section are much cheaper than regular MMGs and HMGs. This is confusing since the .50 cal AAMG looks like a fancy piece of hardware. While the USMC .30 cal AAMG looks like a regular Maxim on a tripod. Apperantly the tripod costs negative dollars . The AAMGs are a tad less powerful, but the main drawback is size 1 as opposed to 0. So they would probably be spotted in the front line. I'm thinking these would be good in the backfield, to handle any infiltrators and paratroops that decide to drop by.

The thing I have a really hard time trying to decide is whether to go with .30 cal or .50 cal HMG's on the frontline. Based on tests against the AI the .50 is a lot more lethal at range. However, the cost may not justify it since humans don't keep marching through an open field when they are getting shot at. While the .50 can supposedly kill halftracks and such, I almost never see that happen. I thought maybe I should use .50s where I expect to take a lot of long shots, and use .30s in closer quarters since they're cheaper. But, I'm not sure this hypothesis is a good one.
User avatar
rbrunsman
Posts: 1795
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by rbrunsman »

Your reasoning is sound regarding .30s or .50s.

As for AAMGs being cheaper than you'd expect, I think it's because AAMGs won't op fire as much (at all?). This limits their use to offense, rather than defense.

rb
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Maciste
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:23 pm

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Maciste »

Well, it depends...
German MG42 is GREAT! Dependable, manoeuverable, accurate... and DEADLY! A great infantry killer.
Second rate for me are the Browning .50 and the DShK 12.7... heavy but very dependable (the russian one less than the Browning), and THEY DO kill light armored vehicles (such as halftracks or recon tanks)... by the way... I've destroyed quite often T-35 (czech) tank withs the DShK 12.7 mm, distance no more than 2 hexes, when hitting side or rear, ground level 0 for both the tank and the MG... is that accurate or some kind of good angel I had caring for me [:'(][:'(]?
And third of my favourites... the Vickers, of course: very reliable, it last twice than any other gun (I mean, with "weapons breakdowns on"), even when firing a lot of time (specialle on long campain against Italy, cos the AI sends wave after wave of soldiers... I thought that the only user of human waves were the Russians [:D][:D][:D])

P.D: Another question... the Schwarzlose HMG is a true meat chopper at short distances ¿is it a true characteristic of that HMG, or was just that I've had luck when I used it?
Everytime I hear the word "culture" I pull out my gun.
User avatar
Marek Tucan
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Kladno, Czech Republic
Contact:

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Marek Tucan »

ORIGINAL: Maciste
P.D: Another question... the Schwarzlose HMG is a true meat chopper at short distances ¿is it a true characteristic of that HMG, or was just that I've had luck when I used it?

Afaik Schwarzlose had an unique bolt system, similar to SMGs, so it had quite large ROF, but shorter range due to shorter barrel. Perhaps that's the case?

Anyway, Czechoslovakian army thought in 30s that it is obsolete and it was being replaced with vz.37 MMG (also known as BESA or MG37(t)).
Tuccy
User avatar
VikingNo2
Posts: 2872
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:00 am
Location: NC
Contact:

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by VikingNo2 »

As far as employing them, I prefer to pair up a .30 with a 50. or even use 2 .30 with a .50. Put a couple of those with a AT gun and a couple of infantry squads can tie up allot of the enemys resources
Maciste
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:23 pm

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Maciste »

Against assaulting infantry... heavy machine guns supported by MMGs [:D][:D][:D] The squads will reach my positions half depleted in strength... or even more.
Everytime I hear the word "culture" I pull out my gun.
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Belisarius »

ORIGINAL: Maciste

Against assaulting infantry... heavy machine guns supported by MMGs [:D][:D][:D] The squads will reach my positions half depleted in strength... or even more.

Play much PBEM? [;)]
Image
Got StuG?
Maciste
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:23 pm

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Maciste »

ORIGINAL: Belisarius
ORIGINAL: Maciste

Against assaulting infantry... heavy machine guns supported by MMGs [:D][:D][:D] The squads will reach my positions half depleted in strength... or even more.

Play much PBEM? [;)]


I only play solitaire [:(] I realize playing against any one of you will end in only one result: my defeat. O masters! ye are skilled warlords! [:(]
By the way ¿how could I play PBEM? [&:] I want to learn from you, veterans [;)] (and I'm not ironic, by the way [:)])
Everytime I hear the word "culture" I pull out my gun.
User avatar
VikingNo2
Posts: 2872
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:00 am
Location: NC
Contact:

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by VikingNo2 »

Well I'm always up for a game, let me know what you would like[:D]
User avatar
Belisarius
Posts: 3099
Joined: Sat May 26, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Contact:

RE: Comparing MG's

Post by Belisarius »

ORIGINAL: Maciste
ORIGINAL: Belisarius
ORIGINAL: Maciste

Against assaulting infantry... heavy machine guns supported by MMGs [:D][:D][:D] The squads will reach my positions half depleted in strength... or even more.

Play much PBEM? [;)]


I only play solitaire [:(] I realize playing against any one of you will end in only one result: my defeat. O masters! ye are skilled warlords! [:(]
By the way ¿how could I play PBEM? [&:] I want to learn from you, veterans [;)] (and I'm not ironic, by the way [:)])

I figured you didn't, judging by your post. Against a human opponent, a HMG/MMG combo is a good defensive setup, but it won't last too long. Keyword here is m-o-b-i-l-i-t-y.[;)] Static positions are easy to run around.

The only way to learn is to play (and lose - I have lots of experience with this haha). If you want a crash course, take V2 up on his offer. [8D]

A challenge in the "opponents wanted" subforum will certainly give you a PBEM partner.
Image
Got StuG?
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”