Luskan versus Mogami.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Mogami

"Operation Banana Pudding"

Operation Spooge?[;)]
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Mr.Frag »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Mogami

"Operation Banana Pudding"

Operation Spooge?[;)]

Luskan's been drinking again. [:D]
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by mogami »

Beer makes you smart. [X(]
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Luskan »

erm, well you do a turn at 3am in the morning and something like this is bound to happen. Unfortunately it was deliberate. Bigger Badder Mamma just got sidelined due to the West virginia sinking. That was irritating (the flak didn't do a real good job either). I was going to bombard kwajalein and then run like a girl.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by mogami »

Hey you've ran Japan enough to know Kwajalean is one of the best defended bases on the map at start.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Luskan »

Yes - but I had assumed that your nells would have moved - I never leave my level bombers in the same place for too many weeks because then the allied player knows how to evade them. Wake, Rabaul etc.

I still haven't got this turn (the one you've posted above) I want to see if the West Virginia really sank or if she is just a bit scratched . . .
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by mogami »

sending again right now. Was sent first time at 1:37pm est.
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Luskan »

OK - turn I received was last turn (west virginia unsunk) so have resent the turn without entering any orders. If all goes well, you'll resink west virginia this turn and we'll continue.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

Kwajalean

Post by mogami »

It appears the USN has opted to commit suicide. Another USN BB sunk at Kwajalean. (The bombardment did sink a Japanese I boat)



AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 12/21/41

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 21,57

Japanese Ships
SS I-162

Allied Ships
BB Prince of Wales, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Isis
DD Vendetta
DD Express

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Balikpapan at 31,64

Japanese Ships
BB Ise
DD Ikazuchi
DD Hibiki
DD Akatsuki
DD Samidare
DD Yudachi
DD Harusame
DD Murasame
DD Hokaze
DD Yugumo

Allied Ships
SS Porpoise

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Kuching at 28,56

Japanese Ships
AP Choko Maru, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta
CL Yubari
DD Mutsuki, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Kisaragi
DD Yayoi, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mochizuki, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Hayate
DD Asanagi
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
CA New Orleans, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 6
CL Raleigh
CL Phoenix, Shell hits 2
DD Bagley
DD Helm, Shell hits 1
DD Mugford, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Case
DD Conyngham
DD Reid
DD Tucker
DD Cassin
DD Downes
DD Phelps
DD Farragut
DD Dewey
DD Hull
DD MacDonough
DD Worden
DD Dale
DD Monaghan
DD Alwin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese Ships
CL Tenryu
CL Tatsuta
CL Yubari
DD Mutsuki, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Kisaragi
DD Yayoi, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mochizuki, on fire
DD Hayate
DD Asanagi
DD Yunagi, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA New Orleans, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 2
CL Raleigh, Shell hits 1
CL Phoenix
DD Bagley, Shell hits 2
DD Helm
DD Mugford, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot, on fire
DD Case, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD Conyngham
DD Reid
DD Tucker
DD Cassin
DD Downes
DD Phelps
DD Farragut
DD Dewey, Shell hits 1
DD Hull
DD MacDonough
DD Worden
DD Dale
DD Monaghan
DD Alwin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack at 20,58

Japanese Ships
SS I-155

Allied Ships
DD Isis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Kwajalein, at 79,79 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

347 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
SS I-17, hits 1
SS I-169, hits 1
AS Yasukuni Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
SS I-175, hits 1
PG Kaiun Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Downes, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD Cassin
DD Tucker, Shell hits 2
DD Reid, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Conyngham, Shell hits 13, on fire, heavy damage
DD Alwin, Shell hits 18, on fire, heavy damage
DD Phelps, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD Farragut, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD Worden, Shell hits 13, on fire, heavy damage
DD Dewey, Shell hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hull, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD MacDonough, Shell hits 4
DD Dale
DD Monaghan, Shell hits 5, on fire
CA San Francisco, Shell hits 9, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot, on fire
DD Mugford, on fire
DD Helm
DD Bagley, Shell hits 11, on fire, heavy damage
CL Phoenix, Shell hits 4
CL Raleigh

Japanese ground losses:
121 casualties reported
Guns lost 5

Runway hits 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TF 9 encounters mine field at Hong Kong (43,42)

Japanese Ships
MSW Rokko Maru
MSW Toshi Maru #2
MSW Musashi Maru
MSW Hinode Maru #20
MSW Choun Maru #21
MSW Choun Maru #18
MSW Choun Maru #7
MSW Choun Maru #6
MSW Banshu Maru #56
MSW Banshu Maru #52

Allied Ships
DD Phelps, and is sunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASW attack at 34,72

Japanese Ships
DD Suzukaze
DD Umikaze
DD Kawakaze
DD Yamakaze

Allied Ships
SS KXVIII, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sub attack near Kuching at 28,56

Japanese Ships
AP Choko Maru, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS O19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64


Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 10


Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 2 destroyed, 6 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Kirishima
BB Hiei

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64


Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 6


Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka
CA Kinugasa

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
4 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 8
A6M2 Zero x 21
G3M Nell x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A5M4 Claude: 1 damaged
G3M Nell: 4 destroyed, 11 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
CA Minneapolis
CL Helena
BB Oklahoma
CA Indianapolis

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x A5M4 Claude bombing at 2000 feet
1 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
1 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x A5M4 Claude bombing at 2000 feet
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
4 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
G3M Nell x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 5 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Phoenix, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Mugford, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
2 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64


Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3


Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 2 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Ise

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Balikpapan at 31,64


Allied aircraft
Martin 139 x 3


Allied aircraft losses
Martin 139: 2 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kinugasa

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x Martin 139 bombing at 6000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF at 77,82

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Shaw, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 3
G3M Nell x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M Nell: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x G3M Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Air attack on TF, near Kwajalein at 79,79

Japanese aircraft
A5M4 Claude x 6
A6M2 Zero x 16

no losses

Allied Ships
CL Phoenix, on fire, heavy damage
DD Hull, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x A5M4 Claude bombing at 2000 feet
4 x A5M4 Claude bombing at 2000 feet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naval bombardment of Kwajalein, at 79,79 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged
G3M Nell: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged

152 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
SS I-23, hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS I-15, hits 2
ML Tokiwa, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS I-4, hits 1
SS I-8, hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Honolulu
CL Helena, Shell hits 6
DD Chew, Shell hits 6, on fire, heavy damage
DD Litchfield, Shell hits 16, on fire, heavy damage
DD Allen, Shell hits 1
DD Selfridge, Shell hits 19, on fire, heavy damage
DD Cummings, Shell hits 6, on fire
DD Jarvis
DD Patterson, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Henley, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
CA Minneapolis, Shell hits 3
CA Indianapolis
BB Oklahoma
DD Blue
DD Hatfield
DD Fox

Japanese ground losses:
180 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 6
Port hits 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Changsha

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 129136 troops, 1515 guns, 154 vehicles

Defending force 78347 troops, 556 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 2)


Japanese ground losses:
2261 casualties reported
Guns lost 60
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
2233 casualties reported
Guns lost 102


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Yenen

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 108483 troops, 1333 guns, 153 vehicles

Defending force 33042 troops, 216 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1


Japanese ground losses:
1080 casualties reported
Guns lost 35
Vehicles lost 1

Allied ground losses:
354 casualties reported
Guns lost 13


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Alor Star

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 22513 troops, 255 guns, 7 vehicles

Defending force 8219 troops, 71 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 5)


Japanese ground losses:
537 casualties reported
Guns lost 16
Vehicles lost 2

Allied ground losses:
27 casualties reported
Guns lost 1


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ground combat at Manokwari

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 474 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles

Japanese assault odds: 17 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Manokwari base !!!
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Luskan

Every time I do something great people scream BUG!!! . . . [8|]

Doesn't anybody credit me with inspired leadership???

Your attack on Kwajalein was very inspiring. So what are you going to tell Admiral Blowtor_ er, i mean Admiral King? [:'(]
Andy Mac
Posts: 12578
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 8:08 pm
Location: Alexandria, Scotland

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Andy Mac »

Ouch those coastal guns hit hard
sven6345789
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Sandviken, Sweden

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by sven6345789 »

taking notes

attacking Kwajalein-> NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by byron13 »

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

taking notes

attacking Kwajalein-> NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!

Concur. Thanks for testing that one for me, Luskan.

I have recently seen reference in the forum to building CD units, which I had not seen before. I would guess you need engineers. Question: is there a limit as to how strong you can make a CD? And how does the game calculate how many of what caliber guns a CD would have at any given time? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Luskan, how are Repulse and POW doing with the holes in their sides?
Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Mr.Frag »

I have recently seen reference in the forum to building CD units, which I had not seen before. I would guess you need engineers. Question: is there a limit as to how strong you can make a CD? And how does the game calculate how many of what caliber guns a CD would have at any given time? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Someone has been pulling your leg. There is no *building* anything in this game. It is all about historical units with historical OOB and historical equipment.
User avatar
mogami
Posts: 11053
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2000 8:00 am
Location: You can't get here from there

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by mogami »

In another AAR Luskan said he was installing CD guns at Singapore. That is banana talk for "I moved a CD unit to Singapore"
Image




I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Mr.Frag »

Leave it to the peel to confuse people. [:D]
User avatar
Luskan
Posts: 1673
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Down Under

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Luskan »

Repulse is ok - POW on the other hand is a bit low in the water these days.

As for Kwajalein . . . well 3 bbs had a go (I had plenty undamaged from pearl) and I lost 2 of them. As well as a half dozen dds, and the odd cruiser or two. Nothing serious - I did sink that I-boat, which was the whole point. I also sanka couple of his dds (or at least mauled them) and more importantly discovered that his cvs aren't there either.

Valuable intelligence gathering.

Those of you who had apoplectic fits when in my first alpha aar I bombarded manila and singapore and got away with it should be happy.
With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?ImageImage
Mike Scholl
Posts: 6187
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Mike Scholl »

From the looks of the AAR, Kwajalein Atoll seems to have had one very tough CD
unit. The results seem more effective that the ones obtained when the Japanese
tried to bombard Singapore in another thread. Is this the way it seemed to the
Players?
Speedysteve
Posts: 15990
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Reading, England

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I have recently seen reference in the forum to building CD units, which I had not seen before. I would guess you need engineers. Question: is there a limit as to how strong you can make a CD? And how does the game calculate how many of what caliber guns a CD would have at any given time? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Someone has been pulling your leg. There is no *building* anything in this game. It is all about historical units with historical OOB and historical equipment.

Questions on CD units -

Lets take those that were installed at Rabaul for example. In the game is there a unit due to appear called "Rabaul CD unit" or is it a original military name such as "5th Kure CD Rgt"? Am I right in thinking that every CD unit that was used at whatever base is 'built' in game and appears in either Japan/America etc and THEN has to be moved to whatever Island you want to?

If so how would it work with the big guns that were installed on certain islands like Iwo or Okinawa for example? Are big big guns transportable by the normal AP method?

Do CD units upgrade as other guns were added to them or caliber increase overtime?

Regards,

Steven
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: Surface intercept mania

Post by byron13 »

I'm with Mike on this one. A CD unit that can sink two battleships has got some massive stuff - big enough to hole a BB. I admit right up front that I have not a wit of an idea what was actually located on Kwajalein, but I fear that at least this one CD may be overdone. Do the playtesters believe that the results are consistent with the artillery WitP lists for that CD?
ORIGINAL: Mogami

In another AAR Luskan said he was installing CD guns at Singapore. That is banana talk for "I moved a CD unit to Singapore"



I'm also still a little confused (anyone [X(] surprised?) about the moving the CD thing. Okay, so you can't build CDs, but you can move them? I'm picturing massive concrete structures and guns ala Singapore/Corregidor. Or are there both fixed (Singapore) and "mobile" (towed guns, howitzers, and rifles) CDs?
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”