Yea but how is the AI?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
ColFrost
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am
Location: South St Paul, MN

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by ColFrost »

ORIGINAL: Deep Breakfast
ORIGINAL: ColFrost

Boy, you guys are harsh. I must be a moron, because I have yet to beat the AI as Japan yet in UV.

Build up Guadalcanal as fast as you can, stock it full of Bettys, keep a large surface force there, and keep your CVs at Shortland. Easy victory, and fun for a while until the Allies run out of ships.

The allies will always send its forces straight at Guadalcanal. The one-two punch of the CVs and the superbase takes care of any Allied CVs. The surface force doesn't even need to win a battle, just damage the bombardment TFs so the Bettys can tear things up. The AI will send attack after attack, mindlessly, until it runs out of ships.


So basically, what you are saying is that you twink out, and then are surprised that the AI doesn't react appropriately. Gotcha.
...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides
User avatar
madflava13
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
Location: Alexandria, VA

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by madflava13 »

Col. Frost,
You must be implying that I'm dumber than the AI! [;)]

I'm having a helluva time holding on to PM against you, and I don't know where the Death Star is, so I'm afraid to launch an invasion anywhere else...
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
User avatar
ColFrost
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am
Location: South St Paul, MN

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by ColFrost »

ORIGINAL: madflava13

Col. Frost,
You must be implying that I'm dumber than the AI! [;)]

I'm having a helluva time holding on to PM against you, and I don't know where the Death Star is, so I'm afraid to launch an invasion anywhere else...

Death Star? Moi?

I tried to have individual group CV fleets, but everyone /else/ I played against had them in bunch formation, so if I didn't have them in bunch formation, I was slaughtered. This is also the AIs reaction to 'superstacking" Lunga. So the AI is not as bad as thought. It will react to things in a way, like I will. It sees that the only way it can win is to break Lunga, so that's what it tries to do.

BTW, I'm glad that in WiTP, DeathStars tfs will be a thing of the past.
...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Mr.Frag »

BTW, I'm glad that in WiTP, DeathStars tfs will be a thing of the past.

I bet you just loved it when Mog's crappy Dutch airgroups came out from land bases and took on KB and won! [:D]
User avatar
ColFrost
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am
Location: South St Paul, MN

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by ColFrost »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
BTW, I'm glad that in WiTP, DeathStars tfs will be a thing of the past.

I bet you just loved it when Mog's crappy Dutch airgroups came out from land bases and took on KB and won! [:D]

Pardon the graphic terminology, but I had to change my pants, I was so excited.[:D]
...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Grotius »

BTW, I'm glad that in WiTP, DeathStars tfs will be a thing of the past.


Oh, I'm glad to hear this. How does WiTP discourage a DeathStar?
Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Mr.Frag »

Oh, I'm glad to hear this. How does WiTP discourage a DeathStar?

CV coordination rule ... too many aircraft in one TF results in your strikes getting broken up into a real mess.
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Point Luck »

CV coordination rule ... too many aircraft in one TF results in your strikes getting broken up into a real mess.

Please elaborate a little more! What is too many A/C, This has always been one of my peaves going up against CV TF's with 4 or 5 fleet carriers in them.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Mr.Frag »

Please elaborate a little more! What is too many A/C, This has always been one of my peaves going up against CV TF's with 4 or 5 fleet carriers in them.

It varies during the war. The later into the game, the higher the numbers permitted per TF.

Japan stays in the 200 range.

The USA starts with 100 and grows year by year.

It is not an exact number, it is a base+random, ie: Japan = 200+rnd(200) for 200-400 range
Damien Thorn
Posts: 1107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:20 am

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Damien Thorn »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
It varies during the war. The later into the game, the higher the numbers permitted per TF.

Japan stays in the 200 range.

The USA starts with 100 and grows year by year.

I forget the exact numbers but, in relative terms, the US started at 1/2 the number of planes as the Japanese and grew to equal their number late in the war. It never exceeds the Japanese number, according to the earlier post on this subject.
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Point Luck »

It varies during the war. The later into the game, the higher the numbers permitted per TF.

Japan stays in the 200 range.

The USA starts with 100 and grows year by year.

THANKS Mr. Frag

One more if I may - Define "results in your strikes getting broken up into a real mess
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Mr.Frag »

One more if I may - Define "results in your strikes getting broken up into a real mess

Instead of a nice raid where all your escort & db & tb all show up overhead at once, the raid gets splintered up into 3-4 smaller raids, some missing their escort.

The net result is the cap gets to fight a couple of smaller battles which means that a higher percentage of the cap will get through the escort and hit the db & tb before they hit you.

Let me put it this way. You *will* make a death star once just because it is so much fun! After your death star explodes, you will not repeat the experience! [X(]
Point Luck
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:24 pm
Location: East Coast-US

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Point Luck »

Let me put it this way. You *will* make a death star once just because it is so much fun!


Yea you're probably right, I just wouldn't be able to resist

Thanx
User avatar
Zeta16
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:35 am
Location: Columbus. Ohio

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Zeta16 »

What happens if you have 3 taskforces following each other with 2 or 3 carriers in each.
"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan
User avatar
ColFrost
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:49 am
Location: South St Paul, MN

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by ColFrost »

ORIGINAL: Zeta16

What happens if you have 3 taskforces following each other with 2 or 3 carriers in each.

Grrrrrrrrr!

Well, hopefully, the sheer epic size of the game will prevent that. At least until mid 44. I mean, trying to steam around with three task forces together, six carriers /all/ the time, will leave wide swaths of your territory un covered.[:-]

I'm hoping beyond hope that with the combination of the A/C rule, and the size of theatre of war, that Death Stars are not only dangerous, but obsolete.
...the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding go out and meet it.

-Thucydides
User avatar
Zeta16
Posts: 1178
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:35 am
Location: Columbus. Ohio

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Zeta16 »

How are the Japanese Carriers set up in the Pearl harbor raid. Are they all in one task force or several. I still see the Japanese player trying to keep the Pearl 6 close together, and using the other small carriers in the SRA and other semi-hot areas.
"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by DoomedMantis »

Lets put it this way, there is a lot of ocean to cover, and only so many CV's. Its all about efficient use of your resources
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Grotius »

What happens if you have 3 taskforces following each other with 2 or 3 carriers in each.
I'm curious about this too. Do the new anti-Deathstar rules only apply to planes in a TF, or planes in a hex? In other words, you can only have 100 planes in a TF; but if you huddle 5 TFs together, don't you still have a DeathStar? Won't the CAP from four help protect the fifth?
Image
User avatar
DoomedMantis
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by DoomedMantis »

They suffer the coordination penalty as well
I shall make it a felony to drink small beer.

- Shakespeare
User avatar
Grotius
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:34 pm
Location: The Imperial Palace.

RE: Yea but how is the AI?

Post by Grotius »

They suffer the coordination penalty as well


That's good news. In UV, it was all too tempting to create a massive hornet's nest of fighters in a hex packed full of 5 or 6 CVs. It sounds like that tactic won't work as well in WiTP.
Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”