6/18 Development Status Report

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Joel Billings
Posts: 33778
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Contact:

6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Joel Billings »

At the risk of throwing raw meat to the Sharks (my favorite hockey team), here's my limited view of what's been going on in development the past few weeks.

Around the beginning of June we had a pretty solid game. We were frantically working on the manual, which was a beast in its own right. David was working on getting higher quality sound and music files for the game. Knowing that we had some time to kill while the manual and sound/music were being finished, we continued to fix some annoying bugs as they were discovered. Most of these were small bugs or undesirable features that we could have lived with if we needed to. Of course with a game this complicated, any change has a chance of creating additional problems, and occasionally a bigger issue would pop up that we needed to fix. At this moment, we have no major issues outstanding.

The manual was finally sent off for layout about a week ago. The game manual came out to be 220 pages and we have 325+ pages of total documentation on the CD. Mike Eckenfels (game and editor manuals) and Richard Porter (tutorial guide) put in a lot of effort along with Marc Schwanebeck (PDF layout) to make these as informative as we could get them.

While David was working on the sound and music we realized that with a few changes to the sound engine, we could reduce the size of the files dramatically. Again, since we had the time, it made sense to try to do this. From what I understand, Matrix is just finishing up the sound and music files now and should be in a position to put together a complete game sometime within the next few days. This will still give time to test the final gold version and duplicate CDs for Origins.

Although we would have been happy to have been finished a few weeks ago, the extra time has resulted in a few more items being cleaned up, and hopefully much better (and smaller) sound/music in the final product. Anything can happen, but I know that David, Matrix and 2by3 are all doing everything possible to get the game out for Origins and then shortly (as soon as possible) thereafter for the Matrix Store. Now you know the real story (at least from where I'm sitting).

-Joel
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
User avatar
kaleun
Posts: 5144
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 10:57 pm
Location: Colorado

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by kaleun »

YEEHAAW. (Flipping over in glee)[:D]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
kev_uk
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:36 am
Location: South Wales, UK
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by kev_uk »

Great stuff. Wish you every success...
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by freeboy »

Can you imagine the time involved from inception to now.. [&o][&o]my hat is off to the team.. testers included
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
GameTester
Posts: 156
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:29 pm

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by GameTester »

Everything looks good Mr. Billings. Can't wait to see the end product.
"I want, I want, gimme, gimme, gimme, I need, I need!"

Bob Wiley from What About Bob?
User avatar
ltfightr
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:46 am
Location: Little Rock AR
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by ltfightr »

Fresh meat ummmm[:D]

Great News I hope that every thing goes well
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
Xargun
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Near Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Xargun »

Everything sounds great Joel. Thanks for the update. I am assuming you will make a final announcement over the next few days if the game will be at Origins or not for 100% ? I would hate to drive there, buy a ticket to get in only to find out its been delayed. Thanks again.

Xargun
User avatar
bilbow
Posts: 740
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 6:26 am
Location: Concord NH

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by bilbow »

Mmmmm. Very tasty. Thanks
I'll be at Origins Thursday with credit card in hand.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill
rroberson
Posts: 2057
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:53 am
Location: Arizona
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by rroberson »

Hehe to think I just sent you my fed ex box ;).

ORIGINAL: Xargun

Everything sounds great Joel. Thanks for the update. I am assuming you will make a final announcement over the next few days if the game will be at Origins or not for 100% ? I would hate to drive there, buy a ticket to get in only to find out its been delayed. Thanks again.

Xargun
Image
Ironman664
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2002 4:00 am
Location: SC

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Ironman664 »

Thank you for the update.... [:)]
User avatar
brisd
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat May 20, 2000 8:00 am
Location: San Diego, CA

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by brisd »

[8D] Wonderful news, thanks for the update Joel!
"I propose to fight it out on this line if it takes all summer."-Note sent with Congressman Washburne from Spotsylvania, May 11, 1864, to General Halleck. - General Ulysses S. Grant
User avatar
captskillet
Posts: 2493
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:21 pm
Location: Louisiana & the 2007 Nat Champ LSU Fightin' Tigers

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by captskillet »

Those who are about to die salute you [&o][&o][&o][&o]
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Image
joliverlay
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:12 am

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by joliverlay »

[:D][:D][:D]Those who are about to BUY salute you![:D][:D][:D]
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Platoonist »

Heeheehee ! I'll drink to that.
Image
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25459
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Thanks for info Joel!

Great work Matrix/2By3!!! [&o][&o][&o]


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Sonny
Posts: 2005
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:51 pm

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Sonny »

It better be ready by Origins. I'm making the trip just to purchase it there.

(also I want to see if you guys are as ugly as I've heard[X(][:D]).
Quote from Snigbert -

"If you mess with the historical accuracy, you're going to have ahistorical outcomes."

"I'll say it again for Sonny's sake: If you mess with historical accuracy, you're going to have
ahistorical outcomes. "
User avatar
byron13
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:00 am

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by byron13 »

220 pages?
Image
User avatar
Caltone
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Caltone »

ORIGINAL: Sonny

It better be ready by Origins. I'm making the trip just to purchase it there.

(also I want to see if you guys are as ugly as I've heard[X(][:D]).


That goes double, I'm hoping Sonny can pick up a copy for me too. Good work all around guys, can't wait to get my hands on this one.[&o]
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by Mr.Frag »

220 pages?

Don't worry, you only need to read it a couple of times. [:'(]

Whoever you end up playing will be quite happy to remind you of whatever you forgot [;)]
User avatar
olivier_slith
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun May 07, 2000 8:00 am
Location: USA
Contact:

RE: 6/18 Development Status Report

Post by olivier_slith »

Is the maual going to be printed or is it another trip to Kinkos?
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”