How do tenders work?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
Huskalator
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 9:55 pm
Location: Kansas

How do tenders work?

Post by Huskalator »

I am really don't understand how they work and what is the point of them. What are the rules regarding them?

For example what is the point of destroyer tenders? Why not just refuel and reload at the nearest base?

I never used them in UV and I didn't feel like I missed anything. There seems to be a lot so whats their use?
User avatar
pompack
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:44 am
Location: University Park, Texas

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by pompack »

Destroyer and CA/.CL torps can only be re-loaded at a size 8 or higher port; those are a little sparse in the forward areas.

An AD will take care of torps for all non-PT surface forces
Huskalator
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu May 16, 2002 9:55 pm
Location: Kansas

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Huskalator »

Ohhhhhh, ok.

Do ADs have to meet the DDs at a base or can it be any friendly hex?
User avatar
pompack
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:44 am
Location: University Park, Texas

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by pompack »

pp 186 "...AD ship and a base with sufficient supplies."

I assume (but I don't know) that "sufficient supplies" means 2X need (no red numbers).
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: pompacl

pp 186 "...AD ship and a base with sufficient supplies."

I assume (but I don't know) that "sufficient supplies" means 2X need (no red numbers).

20,000
User avatar
foliveti
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by foliveti »

I thought 20,000 supplies was the alternative to having an AD and that sufficient supplies meant sufficient supplies for the load out. I was having trouble understanding that provision so Zoomie could be right.
Frank
ZOOMIE1980
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by ZOOMIE1980 »

ORIGINAL: foliveti

I thought 20,000 supplies was the alternative to having an AD and that sufficient supplies meant sufficient supplies for the load out. I was having trouble understanding that provision so Zoomie could be right.

I don't have the manual here, but I recall reading that to get refits of things like torpedos for a destroyer, mines for mine layer, etc.. you have to go to a base of size 8 or greater OR a base that has the right tender ship AND has at least 20,000 in supplies. Not a big deal early on, but as the war progresses and the Allies bagin to recapture bases, very few, if any, will be size 8+ ports. That's when, I believe, tenders will get to be important. It keeps you from having to dog it all the way back to PH or Sydney or such to get a new load of mines....
hithere
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Atlanta

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by hithere »

Does the computer controlled subs for the allies..(or Japan for that matter) reconize if, say, Wake has a AS? or does it still go to the further, bigger ports?
Quote from one of my drill sergeants, "remember, except for the extreme heat, intense radiation, and powerful blast wave, a nuclear explosion is just like any other explosion"
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by dwesolick »

I'm having one problem with an AS tender (in good condition) that I have parked in Darwin (port size 5, 24k supplies, no damage). I can't get subs to take on torps in Darwin even with the AS there. What am I doing wrong? They take torps fine in Brisbane (port size 8, with an AS), but not Darwin.[&:]

Darwin will soon be a size 6 port, so I'll try again then.

BTW, and a bit off topic, but whoever thought of showing fuel and torp level when you simply move the cursor over the sub tf is a genious! In UV I found sub ops tedious and boring (and hence lost lots of subs for little gain due mainly to neglect), but in WitP it is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the game.
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
User avatar
pompack
Posts: 2585
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:44 am
Location: University Park, Texas

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by pompack »

I just re-supplied a sub at Derby and the torps loaded back to 100%. Derby is a size 4 port with 14,827 supply and 2 AS present.
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Brady »

SO PT's nead What Kind of Tender? I thought An AD would work for them?
Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Mr.Frag »

SO PT's nead What Kind of Tender? I thought An AD would work for them?

Nope, PT boats need a PT tender. (who'd have thought it eh?) [:D]
User avatar
Brady
Posts: 6084
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:48 pm
Location: Oregon,USA

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Brady »

Doh[:)]
Image


SCW Beta Support Team

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
User avatar
Gyrene
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 12:10 am
Location: New York

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Gyrene »

AGP. You guys are hilarious sometimes...
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
- Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943 (Awarded MOH)
Xargun
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Near Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: pompacl

I just re-supplied a sub at Derby and the torps loaded back to 100%. Derby is a size 4 port with 14,827 supply and 2 AS present.

AS will supply torps to SUBS ONLY - not surface ships..

Xargun
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: How do tenders work?

Post by Mr.Frag »

AS will supply torps to SUBS ONLY - not surface ships..

Correct, but they do not supply mines. A MLE is required or a size 9 port for the loading of mines onto submarines
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”