ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Post Reply
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by 2Stepper »

Greetings!

Just thought I'd mention to whomever it was that told me about the escape key? Good on ya man! [&o] I've been growlin about how the game is sluggish waiting for the turns to resolve... Well I think for me at least thanks to this lil tidbit I'm set now. I have the message delay set to .6 and I just let it go. Once it gets to the point where there's stuff I don't need to know? BOOM! One tap of the ESC key and it starts zooming... Then when a combat comes up it slows up for a time till I hit ESC again. Next combat, it slows till I hit ESC yet again...

Ahhhh, now I have truely found oneness with the force of WiTP. [:D][:D] LOL!

Makes for LIGHTYEARS of improvement... [8D]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
myros
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:23 pm
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by myros »

I really wish they would seperate a lot of these messages into 1. Useful info 2. Useless crap ;)

ie all the "merging barge CAPs of base supply routes" nonsense, why on earth would I need to know this stuff? Just display a single message "doing AI stuff" then do it. I have it set on 0.1 delay, otherwise a turn takes forever. But then I miss the messages that I may actualy be interesed in like sightings, sinkings etc Just makes me scratch my head why a game developer would want to spam the player with what the computer is doing ...and then combine it with info they may actualy need. Guess they were trying to impress us with all the stuff they programed in ...ok I'm impressed, now delete all that crap please :D

Will try your suggestion though, but it seems that it wouldnt help because most of the useless message happens at the start if I 'escape' then doesnt that mean you miss the sighting reports etc? Anyway, I'll give it a try, thanks :)

Myros
User avatar
Mike Wood
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

Happy you like the ESC key. You might also want to know that the Space Bar cancels the effect.

Bye...

Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: 2Stepper

Greetings!

Just thought I'd mention to whomever it was that told me about the escape key? Good on ya man! [&o] I've been growlin about how the game is sluggish waiting for the turns to resolve... Well I think for me at least thanks to this lil tidbit I'm set now. I have the message delay set to .6 and I just let it go. Once it gets to the point where there's stuff I don't need to know? BOOM! One tap of the ESC key and it starts zooming... Then when a combat comes up it slows up for a time till I hit ESC again. Next combat, it slows till I hit ESC yet again...

Ahhhh, now I have truely found oneness with the force of WiTP. [:D][:D] LOL!

Makes for LIGHTYEARS of improvement... [8D]
MadDawg
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:08 am

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by MadDawg »

Mike, any chance of removing the delay assosiated with the AI messages such as the one mentioned above?

I like quite a long delay so I can read the spotting messages, etc, as they come in, but at the moment I have to keep constantly hitting the space bar to skip over these messages that arent of much use to the player. Ive tried the ESC key, but always end up missing the recon reports. [:)]

Dawg
myros
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:23 pm
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by myros »

Well I tried it and it does help a lot ..but there is a problem with it in that it auto cancels the 1st combat animation you get to after pressing the esc key. If it happend to be one you wanted to watch to bad ;) Otherwise I like it, to bad we even need it *grin* Just remove all the messages we have no need of and it will work perfectly.

Myros
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by 2Stepper »

ORIGINAL: myros

Well I tried it and it does help a lot ..but there is a problem with it in that it auto cancels the 1st combat animation you get to after pressing the esc key. If it happend to be one you wanted to watch to bad ;) Otherwise I like it, to bad we even need it *grin* Just remove all the messages we have no need of and it will work perfectly.

Myros

Well it wouldn't be a matter of needing it or not. Just filtering out the messages that are really superfluous. As was mentioned. 4th Fleet "doing AI stuff" isn't what I want to see mind you, but "Orders complete" works well. Then once this is complete, the operational phase starts for the turn.

As for ESC jumping you too far and fast, just practice with when you hit it. A lot of the early combats I'm playing really aren't that big of a deal so I don't mind missing a few... Suffice to say the technique works. I just have the delay set to .6 so that its fast enough to move the turn along, yet slow enough to read... Then when it's running through the stuff I don't care about, in comes ESC and I'm off to the races. [8D]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
myros
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:23 pm
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by myros »

Aye I agree, except for it auto canceling the combat animation pop-ups it would work nicely.

As you say though the best situation would be for two seperate timers one for AI stuff and one for the operational info, maybe we can hope for this in a patch Mike?

Myros
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by 2Stepper »

ORIGINAL: myros

Aye I agree, except for it auto canceling the combat animation pop-ups it would work nicely.

As you say though the best situation would be for two seperate timers one for AI stuff and one for the operational info, maybe we can hope for this in a patch Mike?

Myros

I agree. It would depend in a patch though on how the messages are sorted. If you could break them down into types like a seperate phase for preperation for combat each day/turn. That might work. Course I'm no programmer so I have no clue how that would work in a program. Then you could drop way down or eliminate the delay for the AI prep messages, then watch the rest. In my mind the flow of the game would be excellent. [8D]

Still.. What I have now will tide me over nicely until something along these lines happens... [:)]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
User avatar
Gyrene
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 12:10 am
Location: New York

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by Gyrene »

You could also just press any alpha or numeric key (a-z or 1-0). This will do the same as pressing ESC, except you wont miss your combat reports! When a report pops up, just hit ESC or click Done. I usually keep my fingers near ESC and 1, alternately pressing the two as needed to keep the phases and reports moving without missing anything. BTW, this process worked in UV as well. Enjoy!
"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning."
- Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC, Tarawa, 21 November 1943 (Awarded MOH)
myros
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:23 pm
Contact:

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by myros »

Thank you Gyrene, now Im happy :) Still be better to have them seperated but now its workable.
Cheers,
Myros
User avatar
WhoCares
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:20 am

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by WhoCares »

It would be nice to have a report of all those messages, just like the intel and combat logs while working out the next turn.
ImageImage
jonny211
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:44 pm

RE: ESC is the KEY to WiTP bliss!

Post by jonny211 »

AHA! I've been suffering with WITP as it takes forever for one turn to complete - I'll try this ESC thing right now.

Cheers! [;)]

Jon
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”