Banners and Common Sense

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

ggallagher
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 5:58 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by ggallagher »

Got mine working now [obviously] .... thanks to all!
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: ggallagher

Got mine working now [obviously] .... thanks to all!


OK Gents...I need some hand holding.

I tried uploading to personal webspace..it worked..the pic shows up..in the sample window on the "my profile" page..but it does NOT show up in the sig space. I tried with and without the Image parameters. I tried taking a big framing hammer to my comp..didn't work either.

Image
Attachments
bloody.gif
bloody.gif (7.83 KiB) Viewed 367 times
Image
ggallagher
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 5:58 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by ggallagher »

Cap:

Do you have the FULL URL within the IMG prefix & suffix? Has to include the http:\\ or the ftp info....can't be just the file name....
kev_uk
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:36 am
Location: South Wales, UK
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by kev_uk »

Just testing one I did earlier....
User avatar
dwesolick
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by dwesolick »

Ok, I couldn't resist. Yeah, I know, it's more of a poster than a banner...[8|]

Image
Attachments
witp banner allied.jpg
witp banner allied.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 367 times
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Primal Fury
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:34 pm

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Primal Fury »

Just made this one...does it look ok?

Fury
Image
Primal Fury
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:34 pm

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Primal Fury »

Err...try it now...

Fury
Image
User avatar
Onime No Kyo
Posts: 16846
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:55 am

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Onime No Kyo »

Looks great from here. :)
"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok
User avatar
GBirkn
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004 11:54 am
Location: the briny deep

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by GBirkn »

Hey, this is fun! (Never mind the Japanese, I know who the real enemy is [;)])

Image
Attachments
army copy.jpg
army copy.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 366 times
"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let's give them all they want." -- Gen. W. T. Sherman
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Ok, I couldn't resist. Yeah, I know, it's more of a poster than a banner...[8|]

Image

Dwesolick;

Is that Lurch in the lower right corner? [;)]
Image
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: ggallagher

Cap:

Do you have the FULL URL within the IMG prefix & suffix? Has to include the http:\\ or the ftp info....can't be just the file name....

ggallager;

I tried everything short of ear wax lavage and I can't get it to work.

If I use this format..

1) http://members.cox.net/...page address.../untitled.gif in the window

2) Enable the "enter URL" flag

The pic can be properly viewed using the picture icon to the right of the "enter URL" window..but does not show in the sig area.

If I try bracketing the url with the [img] brackets, I get the "about blank" message

I should note ...I am hitting "Apply" followed by "OK" after it refreshes?
Image
User avatar
Subchaser
Posts: 1015
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:16 pm

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Subchaser »

Gentlemen

… I think this banner thing will start causing problems soon… no offence guys.. this is my fault after all

All banners posted above are really good, but some of them are simply too huge, as dwesolick said... these are posters not banners.

Banner should be smaller, (350-500 pxls wide/120-150 pxls high), size of a file should not be larger than 70kb… otherwise, people with slow internet connection will be forced to spend hours loading our banner stuff only, imagine… thread of 30+ posts… all posters have banners… a reader have to load almost 1,5mg of graphics simply just to read a thread that probably does not contain anything interesting...
Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Mr.Frag »

Just a note for those with slow connections, I believe there is an option in the forum preferences to turn off the display of such things to speed up your surfing.
SunDevil_MatrixForum
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tempe, AZ

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by SunDevil_MatrixForum »

Subchaser,

That last banner is amazing, good job.
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
User avatar
52nd Lowland
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:38 pm

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by 52nd Lowland »

What a fantastic banner Subchaser.I had planned to try something with a P38 but that would beat anything i could do hands down.[:D]
ggallagher
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri May 17, 2002 5:58 pm
Location: Southern California
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by ggallagher »

Cap:

Not sure if this is the problem, but the second tag (at the end of the URL for the file) should have a slash before the IMG


Are you doing so?
User avatar
Cap Mandrake
Posts: 20737
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:37 am
Location: Southern California

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cap Mandrake »

ORIGINAL: ggallagher

Cap:

Not sure if this is the problem, but the second tag (at the end of the URL for the file) should have a slash before the IMG


Are you doing so?


Yes sir....I just didn't type it that way in my post because the web software turns it into a pic [:)]
Image
User avatar
VI66_slith
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:38 pm
Location: U.S.A.

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by VI66_slith »

Try deleting your old sig and applying that. Wait a bit and then copy in and paste your URL from another source like notepad. After I tinkered I got mine up and running.

Later!
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Ok, I couldn't resist. Yeah, I know, it's more of a poster than a banner...[8|]

Image


Liked this one so much I set as Desttop wallpaper [:'(]
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Cmdrcain »

Hummmm

Image

By adding between Image the http:// etc pointing right to where image is hosted on my Webspace it works ok
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”