Banners and Common Sense

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

HawaiiFive-O
Posts: 295
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:21 pm
Location: USA

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by HawaiiFive-O »

ORIGINAL: 52nd Lowland

What a fantastic banner Subchaser.I had planned to try something with a P38 but that would beat anything i could do hands down.[:D]

[:(] Hey! I posted my P-38 attempt before Subchaser did. [:'(]

I will admit that his kicks @ss, but I take solace in the fact that I made mine meself. [:D]
Image
User avatar
52nd Lowland
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:38 pm

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by 52nd Lowland »

LOL i'll include your P38 in that statement as well then [:)]
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

Old proverb says: "Better late than never"... [;)]

Although I am not even close to "Subchaser" (I wonder how great the signature would look like if he used my source TIFFs) it is functional I think...


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
Hard Sarge
Posts: 22145
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2000 8:00 am
Location: garfield hts ohio usa
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Hard Sarge »

LOL
no Off Apollo, but man, that is one ugly ship, if I was on another ship, I would fire on it, just to put it out of it's misery

[:D]

HARD_Sarge
Image
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

LOL
no Off Apollo, but man, that is one ugly ship, if I was on another ship, I would fire on it, just to put it out of it's misery

[:D]

HARD_Sarge

Shame on you... [:D]

Dreadnoughts of WWI were so beautiful...

I wish and dream (and I think Nikademus 100% agree) of Yutland simulation in 3D someday...


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Platoonist »

Nice banner. Wasn't the Viribus Unitis an Austrian dreadnought? I'm sure it was based in what is now Croatia. Probably at Split.
Image
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Nice banner. Wasn't the Viribus Unitis an Austrian dreadnought? I'm sure it was based in what is now Croatia. Probably at Split.

Thanks!

And yes - Croatia was for several hundred of years kingdom that was part of Austrian-Hungarian empire.

But since the Croatian Adriatic coast was the only sea empire ever had most of sailors and many officers were Croats.

In 1918 when Austrian-Hungarian empire crumbled "Viribus Unitis" was taken over short lived Croatian state and sunk by Italian commandos in port when war was over.

BTW, almost all Austrian-Hungarian fleet was always based in Pula (there was shipyard that build some of them though most ships were build at Trieste - now Italy but then long standing integral part of Austrian-Hungarian empire).


Here is interesting site about 4 sister ships Viribus Unitis, Tegetthoff, Prinz Eugen and Szent Istvan (by my countryman):

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/bunker/5294/main.html


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

LOL
no Off Apollo, but man, that is one ugly ship, if I was on another ship, I would fire on it, just to put it out of it's misery

[:D]

HARD_Sarge

Shame on you... [:D]

Dreadnoughts of WWI were so beautiful...

I wish and dream (and I think Nikademus 100% agree) of Yutland simulation in 3D someday...


Leo "Apollo11"

I'd like to see a Jutland sim too! I'd like to see it with a North Sea strategic side and maybe even a "Naval Race" function where the player (serious geek grognard) can choose between various aspects of ship design (within limiting factors such as British beam restrictions, Kiel Canal width etc.). Ooooohhh.....aaaaahhhhh....[;)]

Regarding your sig, the footage of her sister capsizing is amazing...
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Apollo11
Posts: 25455
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
I'd like to see a Jutland sim too! I'd like to see it with a North Sea strategic side and maybe even a "Naval Race" function where the player (serious geek grognard) can choose between various aspects of ship design (within limiting factors such as British beam restrictions, Kiel Canal width etc.). Ooooohhh.....aaaaahhhhh....[;)]

There are more of us! [:D]

Perhaps some day our dreams will be fullfilled!!! [8D]

Regarding your sig, the footage of her sister capsizing is amazing...

Yes... "Szent Istvan" near Premuda... amazing film footage (Italian torpedo boats this time)... she lies at 90m I think and last year there was expedition to visit her...

Thus "Tegetthoff" and "Prinz Eugen" survived WWI whilst "Szent Istvan" and "Viribus Unitis" were sunk.


Leo "Apollo11"
Image

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
SunDevil_MatrixForum
Posts: 782
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Tempe, AZ

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by SunDevil_MatrixForum »

There was a show last night called WWI in Color on the History Channel there were like 6 1 hour episodes. In one of them, I think they showed that ship sinking. It was sunk by Italian torpedo boats. This ship got hit with 3 torpedos and sunk pretty fast. Quite amazing footage. Of course what I saw last night could of been a different ship, I was half watching as I was playing WITP. [:D]
There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can circumvent or hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul.
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: SunDevil

There was a show last night called WWI in Color on the History Channel there were like 6 1 hour episodes. In one of them, I think they showed that ship sinking. It was sunk by Italian torpedo boats. This ship got hit with 3 torpedos and sunk pretty fast. Quite amazing footage. Of course what I saw last night could of been a different ship, I was half watching as I was playing WITP. [:D]

Szent Istvan, sister ship of Leo's Viribus Unitis was sunk by IIRC two torpedos and good part of the sinking was indeed filmed from Tegethoff, providing some amazing film footage!

BTW, Italian MAS15 torpedo boat that sunk Szent Istvan may be seen in whole, in museum in Rome (that vessel is VERY small), while the wreck of SI may is advanced dive for scuba divers (usually off limits but you can gain a permit) near the island of Premuda on Croat coast (lies at depth of some 70 meters IIRC).

Oleg
User avatar
bravow01
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 pm
Location: Littleton, CO
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by bravow01 »

here is the website for the guy (Andrew William Wilkie) that did the model in 3D.
viribusunitis model

she is listed as one of the worst designed warships of the world by anthony preston THE WORLD"S WORST WARSHIPS.
i am currently working on a 3D model of USS Arizona.
USS Arizona model home

Image
Attachments
banner_arizona.jpg
banner_arizona.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 422 times
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: bravow01

here is the website for the guy (Andrew William Wilkie) that did the model in 3D.
viribusunitis model

she is listed as one of the worst designed warships of the world by anthony preston The World's Worst Warships
Image

Is it indeed? What reasons does he give for ship being so bad in his opinion?

That book is on my tentative "to buy" list for some time, but it seems kinda perverse to go on buying the book about worst warships when there are so many books about good warships still on the list [:D]

O.
User avatar
bravow01
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 pm
Location: Littleton, CO
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by bravow01 »

Is it indeed? What reasons does he give for ship being so bad in his opinion?

That book is on my tentative "to buy" list for some time, but it seems kinda perverse to go on buying the book about worst warships when there are so many books about good warships still on the list

"The design was deficient in internal subdivision. He [Siegfried Popper, the designer] did not believe in the anti-torpedo bulkheads favored by the Imperial German Navy and the Royal Navy, among others. Instead, he clung to the outdated concept of a centreline bulkhead or did without any longitudinal bulkheads. War experience was to show that centreline bulkheads accelerated capsizing after flooding." (Preston 62). poor design resulting in low stability and poor underwater protection.

it's a fun book to read. talks about the poor design of Bismarck, the WW1 RN "idiot" class battlecruisers (as we who played Jutland referred to them), Yamato, and Soviet Alpha clas SSNs.

Image
Attachments
banner_arizona.jpg
banner_arizona.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 422 times
User avatar
bravow01
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 pm
Location: Littleton, CO
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by bravow01 »

Great work, but I think your statement about all you need is Photo Shop is misleading. I do a lot of artwork and to get that quality of aircraft and ship you either have to model them or paint and scan. Where do you get your aircraft, ship and sub pictures? They look like 3D models to me

i am a graphics artist, 3D modeler, and technical illustrator and you are correct. even if i am using a photo it takes time to research to find the correct photo, even black and white. sometimes it takes longer to find what i want to use than it does to create the final product.
some of the b-25 and beaufighter art are from paintings. my arizona is from a 1939 photo. i think some of the artwork may be from model boxes or from other computer games. the austro-hungarian dreadnaught is a 3D model done by andrew wilke in vancouver. there are a number of 3D ship modelers. here is a link to some of them
3D ship modelers links

Image
Attachments
banner_arizona.jpg
banner_arizona.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Smiffus64
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:14 am
Location: Delft, the Netherlands

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Smiffus64 »

After seeing so many great banners, I had to try one myself.

Image
Attachments
banner1hr.jpg
banner1hr.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 422 times
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Platoonist »

Nice work. I had another banner in development in Photoshop but decided to scrap it on the stocks when I found out my web host was giving away free cookies. Blondes awwaaaayy!! [:D]


Image
Image
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Smiffus64

After seeing so many great banners, I had to try one myself.

Image

Argh no! Is that Do24? Ever since first banners started appearing I wanted to be the first to make one with this fine plane, I guess you beat me to it [:D]

O.
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Platoonist

Nice work. I had another banner in development in Photoshop but decided to scrap it on the stocks when I found out my web host was giving away free cookies. Blondes awwaaaayy!! [:D]

Excellent one Platoonist, and you "regular" one with darts in Tojo's portrait is very nice as well. Too bad they're just perhaps a tad bit too high [:D] Are you an illustrator?

Oleg
User avatar
2Stepper
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:16 pm
Location: North Burbs of Omaha
Contact:

RE: Banners and Common Sense

Post by 2Stepper »

The George if I'm not mistaken... [8D]

As for banners, I did my own.. Not as quality, but then I'm still learning Paintshop Pro 8, and trying to find good places online for WW2 artwork...

Still... first go didn't turn out TOO bad... [8D][:D]
Image
"Send in the Infantry. Tanks cost money... the dead cost nothing..." :)
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”