Newbie needs help (am i called a Groglet?)

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Post Reply
Takiharo
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Bethel,CT,USA

Newbie needs help (am i called a Groglet?)

Post by Takiharo »

Okay, I really like the historical topics, and I like even more the strategic command armies, however, I am a bit overwhelmed trying to get into a wargame (demos mainly(someday i'll D/L SPWaW)) I find it damn near impossible because of all the little things that i dont understand, does anyone know of a good Groglet tutorial or a easy wargame for me to get started on? ***please send all replies to my e-mail***

Thank ya'
Takiharo
Grok
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Col. SC USA
Contact:

Post by Grok »

Originally posted by Takiharo:
Okay, I really like the historical topics, and I like even more the strategic command armies, however, I am a bit overwhelmed trying to get into a wargame (demos mainly(someday i'll D/L SPWaW)) I find it damn near impossible because of all the little things that i dont understand, does anyone know of a good Groglet tutorial or a easy wargame for me to get started on? ***please send all replies to my e-mail***

Thank ya'
Takiharo
Some of the earlier games were realitively easy, compared to some of todays games. And good graphics does not mean a good game. I'd recommend Panzer General to get started with. Its fairly easy and can be had at www.theunderdogs.org along with a manual. I'm sure once you get the hang of that, it will make it easier to play other games. Its DOS based, but should not be too difficult to configure for.




------------------
Don't underestimate the power of the mindless
Grok
"My teeth have more bite, than your mouth has bark!"
waynef
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2000 8:00 am
Location: plano, tx,usa

Post by waynef »

Panzer General II .. Its in Windows 95, there's also upgrades on the net for equipment (Zerster).

Age of Rifles is a good game (1800's warfare)

------------------
Thanks
Wayne
"At My Signal...Unleash Hell"
Thanks, Wayne
Billy Yank
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu May 18, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Contact:

Post by Billy Yank »

You might also want to get a small reference book on the period you're playing in. You can pick up pocket guides that cover subjects like "Armor in WWII" for 6-7 USD. Leave the big encyclopedia type books for later. Then, when you're playing the game and you come across something you don't recognize, look it up in the book.


------------------
Billy Yank
I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.
Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield
Pack Rat
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon May 08, 2000 8:00 am
Location: north central Pennsylvania USA

Post by Pack Rat »

"Groglet" ROFLMAO. I want to be one too Image

------------------

Good hunting,
Pack Rat
PR
maxevan
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Methuen

Post by maxevan »

I have to second the idea on Panzer General 2 for afaik Underdogs is gone....
I started out with PG1 and it helped me understand the basics of WW2 warfare; artillery, combined arms, etc. Also helped with the different types of untis. Even thought it is not exactly difficult it does get these ideas across. Also reading on the subject fueled my understanding. I highly recommend the Stephen Ambrose bboks and the Martin Gilbert Book on WW2
nittany
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 10:00 am
Location: Shamokin, PA, USA
Contact:

Post by nittany »

Try HPS' Panzer Campaign: Smolensk.
Your are not a Groglet, but, a slimy pollywog. I can barely stand to speak to you, being a trusty Shellback.
"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern" Heinz Guderian
Post Reply

Return to “General Discussion”