Why can't I use sub float planes?

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

I wouldn't mind having midget subs, but could I also have use of the sub float planes for city attcks? If I want to essemble a group of 30 float planes in a sub task force to attack San Fran, Calcutta or something else, I shouold be able to!! :)

thx
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
Tankerace
Posts: 5408
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK, United States

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Tankerace »

I asked this question about a year ago while the game was still in development. For whatever reason, and I am guessing time and resources, and the fact that it would be a lot of code to simulate one small attack, this feature was never considered.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med

Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

awwww cmon on! 30 float planes could do some damage.....I think that is about how many are available on subs at Dec 7

[&:]

WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
Xargun
Posts: 4447
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:34 pm
Location: Near Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Xargun »

One of the reasons is that a sub didn't carry much munition for its float plane to conduct attacks - it was designed to scout out targets for the sub, not make attacks on its own.

Plus, I believe the minimum number of planes needed in a group before it will conduct offensive actions is 2 - most subs carry 1 plane.

Xargun
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Platoonist »

They do seem to be performing air searches though. I see the Glens reporting my ship's positions all the time. Plus they get shot down as well.
Image
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

evan as a TF?

[&:]
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

yes I tested it....sent subs to San Fran....saw ships out of SF LA and SD....just wanted them to start a fire in the Labrea Tar Pits....or whatever they are called!

WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Platoonist »

*sigh* If only the I-400 class had made it into the game.
Image
moses
Posts: 2252
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2002 3:39 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by moses »

The glen's are great!! Why would you waste them on city attacks. With Japans worthless SIGINT reports what other method do you have of gaining intel outside of the range of your Mavis's.
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

It didn't???? What are I-400 to I-402 in database editor? Are they not what they seem to be?

[X(]
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

naw....its just the idea that I should be able to do what I want to with 'em....thats all

[;)]
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Platoonist »

Oh! I see. They are in the game. Listed as Type STo. But I doubt if they will be performing any attacks on the Panama Canal. Another IJN wonder toy I must learn to live without.
Image
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

he he....I know about that scheme to blow up (or at least block) the canal....J Edgar Hoover probably whould have thwarted it...what with all of those american student/spies studying up in Sapporo who were stuck there during the entire war

[>:]
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
Caltone
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Raleigh, NC USA

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Caltone »

I had a situation where there were ships in a nearby port but no attack planes in the area. I had some float planes at my base so in went my mighty Pete's!.


After several days of attacks, I managed to damage...... the Pete's [:D]
"Order AP Hill to prepare for battle" -- Stonewall Jackson
User avatar
Platoonist
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Platoonist »

Dem poor Petes get no respect. [:D]

In one of those 'what-ifs' of history it is my understanding that the two operational I-400 class submarines where en route to Ulithi to bomb the carrier anchorage there when the surrender declaration came through. So...we'll never know how effective or ineffective they would have been.
Image
User avatar
Mike Wood
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Oakland, California
Contact:

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Mike Wood »

Hello...

Strike missions require a group to have at least two ready planes. Use subs with a complement or 2 or 3 planes and it will work fine.

Bye...

Michael Wood
ORIGINAL: witpit

I wouldn't mind having midget subs, but could I also have use of the sub float planes for city attcks? If I want to essemble a group of 30 float planes in a sub task force to attack San Fran, Calcutta or something else, I shouold be able to!! :)

thx
User avatar
mongo
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:06 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by mongo »

Prange made reference to a second Pearl bombing by float planes in Miracle at Midway.

I think it was March 42?

There have also been references to scouts over Seattle as well - checking out the yards.

I believe the commander declined to bomb them for some reason or another.
"Mongo only pawn..in game of life"
Image
User avatar
tsimmonds
Posts: 5490
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: astride Mason and Dixon's Line

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by tsimmonds »

Prange made reference to a second Pearl bombing by float planes in Miracle at Midway.

I think it was March 42?

Not by float planes, by sea planes. H8Ks that refueled from a submarine at French Frigate Shoals; the infamous Operation K.
Flying Boat Raid
Refueling of two Kawanishi H8K flying boats took place at the French Frigate Shoals during the night of 3 March 1942 before their Raid on Oahu. Submarines I-15 and I-19 were designated the refuelers, and each carried 10-tons of aviation gasoline. I-26 was to accompany them and act as an alternate refueler and picket vessel. I-15 and I-19 would shell any U.S. observation posts they found and enter the lagoon to await the two flying boats. The flagship of the flotilla, I-19, was to be posted about 700 miles southwest of Oahu at "Point M" and was to broadcast a radio beacon for navigational purposes. I-23 would be stationed about 10 miles south of Pearl Harbor for weather observation and rescue purposes should either plane be forced down. In addition, two submarines were to be located 300 miles northwest of Wotje Atoll to help guide the returning raiders to their base. All submarines were to be on station one day prior to the attack.

from pacificwrecks.com

Look at the submarine assets committed to this 2-plane raid! What a waste of effort.
Fear the kitten!
User avatar
witpit
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:08 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by witpit »

[:D]

thx for responses all.....

haven't tried two plane thing yet, but it might be more effective against human allied player perhaps as a bluff or to have person commit resources that would otherwise go elsewhere.....sitll a very minor thing....i dont expect to do to many raids in this fashion...although if I wanted to skew history, I could make all subs that carry one pplane able to carry two...hmmmmm
WITP IT....WITP IT GOOD!!!!
User avatar
Oleg Mastruko
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Why can't I use sub float planes?

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Look at the submarine assets committed to this 2-plane raid! What a waste of effort.

To make it even more ironic, I think I read somewhere USN didn't even notice this attack as "enemy raid" - some bombs failed to explode, some exploded in huge harbor area and someone concluded it's just some minor incidents or abandoned ordnance exploding without explanation or something. [:D]

Imagine going thru all that effort and then the other guy does not even notice whan you "wanted to say" [:D]

O.
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”