Sea of JAPAN ?
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
*sigh* No one thinks Im funny
[:(]
[:(]
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Sorry, we're all too busy laughing at our own jokes. Nice post, btw. LMAO. Really, I did.
Fear the kitten!
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Dear mjjhnim.
Welcome a board.
I know your hard feelings about historical problem.
However this is just a game. Not real war. Relax [;)]
This game simulate during WWII period. Unfortunately Korea was occupied by Japan at that time.
I feel "Sea of Japan" is suitable for WitP( I don't know for other place), isn't it?
Let's enjoy WitP together[:)]
BTW, Which side are you playing this game? Of course as Allied player?
Welcome a board.
I know your hard feelings about historical problem.
However this is just a game. Not real war. Relax [;)]
This game simulate during WWII period. Unfortunately Korea was occupied by Japan at that time.
I feel "Sea of Japan" is suitable for WitP( I don't know for other place), isn't it?
Let's enjoy WitP together[:)]
BTW, Which side are you playing this game? Of course as Allied player?
Japanese wargamer. Will post from "the other side" .
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
I know we have a lake that some call 'Lake Dallas' and some call it 'Lake Louisville' it all depends on the side of the lake you live on....[:)]
Yes but some ignore the civic chauvinism and call it Garza-Little Elm Lake (especially the people who live in Little Elm, Texas)
-
ZOOMIE1980
- Posts: 1283
- Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
ORIGINAL: mjjhnim
Hi, thankyou for the great game and many support on this board.
but I would like to address the need for some changes in the map.
The Sea of Japan is totally wrong, it should be EAST SEA. It was "east sea"
for hundreds of years...before Japan's muddling.
Japan is economic power house and never learned from the
history about their savage treatment of Koreans and Chinese and Allied POWs.
If they have the means, these pople will do the same things...
Now they want a sea of their own... so instead of EAST SEA, its now Sea of Japan.
Japan spends alot of money, influencing map making companies around the world.
But what is wrong is wrong. I hope MATRIX can make things right.
These map problems may mean nothing to you guys. But it sure means a lot to
millions of people in Korea. We been mudered and attacked by Japan for many
years, and now in this modern age, just because Japan is regaining their world
power status in economy,and military. We shall never accept Japan taking our
sea and land.
Please help us.
Take it to a political forum....
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Isn't "Sea of Japan" in any case a name bestowed by the 'evil' UK ([&o] rule, Britannia) and Portugese?
Well, mjjhnim, I'm not sure for whom you are advocating. Your point is worth noting but people will call things what they will. I'm pretty sure that most Native Americans would not refer to the "Gulf of California" as that or the "Sea of Cortez." Most Americans call Arizona, New Mexico, and southern California the "southwest" but most Mexicans call it the "northwest." Some Mexicans call it "stolen" land despite the fact that the US purchased half the property fair and square, and conquered the other half in a war started by Mexico. Ironic that the Mexicans call it that when it was they, in turn, who "stole it" from the Queen of Spain, and Spain, in turn, stole it from the various Native Americans living there at the time.
So what can you do? Every tribe has a different name for geographic features great and small, but you can only use one name on a map.
Well, mjjhnim, I'm not sure for whom you are advocating. Your point is worth noting but people will call things what they will. I'm pretty sure that most Native Americans would not refer to the "Gulf of California" as that or the "Sea of Cortez." Most Americans call Arizona, New Mexico, and southern California the "southwest" but most Mexicans call it the "northwest." Some Mexicans call it "stolen" land despite the fact that the US purchased half the property fair and square, and conquered the other half in a war started by Mexico. Ironic that the Mexicans call it that when it was they, in turn, who "stole it" from the Queen of Spain, and Spain, in turn, stole it from the various Native Americans living there at the time.
So what can you do? Every tribe has a different name for geographic features great and small, but you can only use one name on a map.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.
Didn't we have this conversation already?
Didn't we have this conversation already?
-
ZOOMIE1980
- Posts: 1283
- Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:07 am
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
ORIGINAL: mdiehl
Isn't "Sea of Japan" in any case a name bestowed by the 'evil' UK ([&o] rule, Britannia) and Portugese?
Well, mjjhnim, I'm not sure for whom you are advocating. Your point is worth noting but people will call things what they will. I'm pretty sure that most Native Americans would not refer to the "Gulf of California" as that or the "Sea of Cortez." Most Americans call Arizona, New Mexico, and southern California the "southwest" but most Mexicans call it the "northwest." Some Mexicans call it "stolen" land despite the fact that the US purchased half the property fair and square, and conquered the other half in a war started by Mexico. Ironic that the Mexicans call it that when it was they, in turn, who "stole it" from the Queen of Spain, and Spain, in turn, stole it from the various Native Americans living there at the time.
So what can you do? Every tribe has a different name for geographic features great and small, but you can only use one name on a map.
The winners write the history books and the maps....been that way from the dawn of human history....
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
You are Crazy. I named that body of water. It shoudl rightly be called... BOB. I was going to name it Robert, but I thought it was too pretentious.
So I woudl liek you to stop lobbying to get the name changed to "East Sea" I am not mentioning it to Matrix because , well I don't care what they call it. But I do think that it shoudl be called BOB and not East Sea.
I am looking at having it's legal name changed from BOB to EEKY EEKY EEKY NI NI NI But I am not sure Monty Python woudl approve. [:D]
So I woudl liek you to stop lobbying to get the name changed to "East Sea" I am not mentioning it to Matrix because , well I don't care what they call it. But I do think that it shoudl be called BOB and not East Sea.
I am looking at having it's legal name changed from BOB to EEKY EEKY EEKY NI NI NI But I am not sure Monty Python woudl approve. [:D]

RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
As an example of what happens when negotiations end in a draw... there is a lake in the state of Massachusetts that has retained its Nipmuck (Native American) name, which I can't spell, and translates to: "You fish on your side, we'll fish on our side, nobody fishes in the middle." [:D]
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.
Didn't we have this conversation already?
Didn't we have this conversation already?
- Charles2222
- Posts: 3687
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
It seems a bit silly to me. Down here in Texas we have the Gulf of Mexico and nobody assumes it's Mexican territory. There's bits of it that are Mexico and bits of it that are US, while the rest is neutral I suppose. Seems that's how waters would be interpeted worldwide wouldn't it?
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
mjjhnim
What a bunch of PC crap![:-]
- DrewMatrix
- Posts: 1429
- Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:49 pm
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
FRANCE supports my struggle against Spanish city names in North America
Yeah. As I understand it we are going to have to stop saying
"The State of Illinois" ("Illinoy")
And start calling it "L'Etat d'Illinois" ("d'Ilinwaa") which is, after all, it's real name.
Des Moines and Dubuque are also in trouble No one who currently living in either city can pronounce their city's name.
But all this will only be temporary. Until we go back to using the original North American Indian names for everyplace.
But France, at that point, will have to stop using French place names. Nor Gaullic nor Gallo-Roman. They are going to have to use the Beaker People's placenames.
I think the Italians will have to revert to Etruscan, but I am still researching that one.

Beezle - Rapidly running out of altitude, airspeed and ideas.
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Now that you mention it, I suppose it's little short of miraculous that it isn't called the Gulf of Texas![;)]ORIGINAL: Charles_22
It seems a bit silly to me. Down here in Texas we have the Gulf of Mexico and nobody assumes it's Mexican territory. There's bits of it that are Mexico and bits of it that are US, while the rest is neutral I suppose. Seems that's how waters would be interpeted worldwide wouldn't it?
Fear the kitten!
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Besides, as every German speaker knows, the East Sea is the body of water which
the evil Anglo-Saxons erroneously call Baltic Sea.
the evil Anglo-Saxons erroneously call Baltic Sea.
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Bah, who cares about civic chauvanism.ORIGINAL: pompacl
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
I know we have a lake that some call 'Lake Dallas' and some call it 'Lake Louisville' it all depends on the side of the lake you live on....[:)]
Yes but some ignore the civic chauvinism and call it Garza-Little Elm Lake (especially the people who live in Little Elm, Texas)
Its Lake Lewisville anyway. [:D]
This space reserved for future expansion
-
anarchyintheuk
- Posts: 3958
- Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 7:08 pm
- Location: Dallas
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
I know we have a lake that some call 'Lake Dallas' and some call it 'Lake Louisville' it all depends on the side of the lake you live on....[:)]
It's only used to dump bodies in anyway. [;)]
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Nah, that's Lake Ray Hubbard. [:'(]ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk
ORIGINAL: rogueusmc
I know we have a lake that some call 'Lake Dallas' and some call it 'Lake Louisville' it all depends on the side of the lake you live on....[:)]
It's only used to dump bodies in anyway. [;)]
This space reserved for future expansion
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
Not really going to jump into this one, but "East Sea" seems about as biased as "Sea of Japan." After all, the sea is only east of Korea (being west of Japan), hence, it seems to me that this name clearly has a Korean origin.
Just looking around the internet, it seems to be a real issue. Found this on a website sponsored, apparently, by the Japanese government:
"In response to the enquiry by the Government of Japan, the United Nations Secretariat officially replied on 10 March 2004, that 'Sea of Japan' is the standard geographical term and as such is to be used in official documents of the United Nations. It is confirmed that the name 'Sea of Japan' is authorized by the United Nations which is the most comprehensive and neutral international organization with the participation of 191 member states including both Japan and the Republic of Korea (ROK), and the most proper forum to represent the collective will of the international community."
Notice that mjjhnim has disappeared.
Just looking around the internet, it seems to be a real issue. Found this on a website sponsored, apparently, by the Japanese government:
"In response to the enquiry by the Government of Japan, the United Nations Secretariat officially replied on 10 March 2004, that 'Sea of Japan' is the standard geographical term and as such is to be used in official documents of the United Nations. It is confirmed that the name 'Sea of Japan' is authorized by the United Nations which is the most comprehensive and neutral international organization with the participation of 191 member states including both Japan and the Republic of Korea (ROK), and the most proper forum to represent the collective will of the international community."
Notice that mjjhnim has disappeared.

RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
He's probably asleep. It's 4:30am in Seoul.Notice that mjjhnim has disappeared.
Fear the kitten!
RE: Sea of JAPAN ?
ya, but the Texans hijacked the thread anyway[:)]ORIGINAL: irrelevant
He's probably asleep. It's 4:30am in Seoul.Notice that mjjhnim has disappeared.






