T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Post Reply
Berrik
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:54 am

T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Berrik »

After getting pounded several times in the opening battle of Heros of the Motherland (due to lack of forces), I looked for a cheaper alternative to the T-34.

In many ways, the T-28E appears to be about as good or even better than the T-34. Of course, it's slow, but it has a ton of front armor and for some reason it often seems to hit more and get more shots than the T-34. Great for defending!

I did lose several to the air attacks in that battle, but I had to max out my tanks, so I just had to grin and bear it.
KGrob
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:16 am
Location: Yuba City, California

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by KGrob »

I normally see the T28 from the German side. They can be tough opponents.
Poopyhead
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:42 pm

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Poopyhead »

If you take nine 107 mm mortars and an FO, you can pretty much walk through the HotM. Don't expect to build a Guard's tank army, you hardly get enough replacement points to stay ahead of losses. I won the last battle with a T-34 in the shop. Good luck!
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
User avatar
plloyd
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by plloyd »

Stick with the T-34s, T-28s don't have the accuracy or the armor. Stay on that big hill at the back. Put some tanks in the woods to the North and behind the ridge in the South. Let the Germans come to you, and they will. If you mix it up in that central valley, you're toast.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.
Wild Bill
Posts: 6428
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Smyrna, Ga, 30080

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Wild Bill »

It could be a toss-up herer, but I too favor the T-34. Now if you use the T-28 in a TD role, that might have some merit.

For fast advances and overall armor, plus the hitting power of that 76mm gun, I would still go with the T-34.

When I designed this campaign, the focus was on the fact that the 4th Tank Regiment did use this revolutionary new tank to save Moscow.

But that is the beauty of a campaign. You can rewrite history! You gotta love that!

Wild Bill
Image
In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Maciste
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:23 pm

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Maciste »

Maybe it's because they are better sloped, but, when I began a Long campaign with soviets (from 1939 on) I found that my Bt-5 had a better chance of surviving than the T-28 when sustaining direct hits... ¡Damn, I even lost t-28s against the Lt-35! :P It's like having Shermans beating by the Italian M11/39
Everytime I hear the word "culture" I pull out my gun.
Poopyhead
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:42 pm

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Poopyhead »

Bravo, Wild Bill. It was a difficult challenge to find the right mix to get a Decisive Victory against a German force that had everything. My applause to the Maestro!
Astrologers believe that your future is determined on the day that you are born.
Warriors know that your future is determined on the day that your enemy dies.
Berrik
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:54 am

RE: T-28Es in Heros of the Motherland instead of T-34s?

Post by Berrik »

ORIGINAL: Maciste

Maybe it's because they are better sloped, but, when I began a Long campaign with soviets (from 1939 on) I found that my Bt-5 had a better chance of surviving than the T-28 when sustaining direct hits... ¡Damn, I even lost t-28s against the Lt-35! :P It's like having Shermans beating by the Italian M11/39

Make sure you get the T-28E variant. The others suck, whereas the T-28E has like 72 armor on the front.
Post Reply

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”