Movie Sink the Bismarck
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
Movie Sink the Bismarck
I just found this out, and thought I'd pas it along. It's really quite interesting. The name of the actor who portrays Captain John Leach of the HMS Prince of Wales in the movie Sink the Bismarck! was named Edmond Knight. It turns out on May 25, 1941, he was actually aboard the Prince of Wales, and was partially blinded when a 38.1cm shell struck the bridge. This was the same shell that passed throught without exploding, killing all on the bridge but Leach and 1 other man. According to a source online, Mr. Knight said he was below the bridge, but still in the forward superstructure when it hit.
The shell left him without one eye, and partially blind in the other. He returned to the stage and movies in the late 1940's, and in 1960 was cast as the Captain of the Prince of Wales. All in all, a very interesting and ironic story.
Force Z survivors, obituary for Mr. Knight
The shell left him without one eye, and partially blind in the other. He returned to the stage and movies in the late 1940's, and in 1960 was cast as the Captain of the Prince of Wales. All in all, a very interesting and ironic story.
Force Z survivors, obituary for Mr. Knight
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
- Tristanjohn
- Posts: 3027
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 4:50 am
- Location: Daly City CA USA
- Contact:
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Interesting. I knew who Knight was vis-a-vis his role in the film but not much of his life until reading his obit. I've bookmarked that page and put in with my HMS Hood stuff.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Regarding Frank Jack Fletcher: They should have named an oiler after him instead. -- Irrelevant
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Interesting, TY for posting that, I would realy like to see this move again has been some years now since I last watched it, Also would like to see the Cruel Sea again, been a long time for that one.

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I'm trying to hunt down the Cruel Sea, but I can't find it as of yet. I bought Sink the Bismarck the first day it was out on DVD. I am such a nerd.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
-
markbroughton
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:13 pm
- Location: Bedfordshire
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I like threads like this,
How about this one Richard Todd appeared in the film The Longest Day as Major John Howard who`s unit captured the bridges over the Orne and Caen canel (Pegasus bridge). Actually on D-day Lt Richard Todd was part of 6th airborne divison, his battalion relieved Howard on the bridge.
Mark
How about this one Richard Todd appeared in the film The Longest Day as Major John Howard who`s unit captured the bridges over the Orne and Caen canel (Pegasus bridge). Actually on D-day Lt Richard Todd was part of 6th airborne divison, his battalion relieved Howard on the bridge.
Mark
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Cruel Sea - fab film , with my fave little ships (a mythical Flower class called Compass Rose) and feels real enough about convoy duty - long periods of being bored, cold and wet, with brief episodes of being terrified, cold and wet.

Twinkle twinkle PBY
Seeking Kido Bu-tai
Flying o' the sea so high
An ill-omen in the sky
Twinkle twinkle PBY
Pointing out who's next to fry
- steveh11Matrix
- Posts: 943
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
- Contact:
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Even better book...and "Three Corvettes" by the same author (Nicholas Monsarrat) was better still - true rather than dramatized account.ORIGINAL: strawbuk
Cruel Sea - fab film , with my fave little ships (a mythical Flower class called Compass Rose) and feels real enough about convoy duty - long periods of being bored, cold and wet, with brief episodes of being terrified, cold and wet.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 39-4355661
Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
thought i recognized the name but didn't know the relationship. just watched it last night on DVD.
i seem to remember hms achilles played herself in the movie Pursuit of the Graf Spee and uss salem played graf spee.
IIRC salem was also used in In Harm's Way.

i seem to remember hms achilles played herself in the movie Pursuit of the Graf Spee and uss salem played graf spee.
IIRC salem was also used in In Harm's Way.

- Attachments
-
- banner_arizona.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 455 times
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
FWIW, in Pursuit of the Graf Spee (in England called Battle of the River Plate" not only did the Achilles (Then the Indian Delphi) play herself, HMS Cumberland also played herself. While the Cumberland didn't participate in the battle, she arrived on station and helped convince Langsdorf that he was up against the Hood and Renown.
I can't wait for that movie to come out on DVD< it is awsome. Especially when Commodore Harwood turns to his exec after a shell splashes close aboard, and when they get wet, he says "Should worn your hat." 5 minutes earlier Harwood stole his hat from him! Gotta love British humor.
I can't wait for that movie to come out on DVD< it is awsome. Especially when Commodore Harwood turns to his exec after a shell splashes close aboard, and when they get wet, he says "Should worn your hat." 5 minutes earlier Harwood stole his hat from him! Gotta love British humor.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
ORIGINAL: waynec
thought i recognized the name but didn't know the relationship. just watched it last night on DVD.
i seem to remember hms achilles played herself in the movie Pursuit of the Graf Spee and uss salem played graf spee.
IIRC salem was also used in In Harm's Way.
![]()
I found it a bit tough to equate Salem with old Swayback.[;)]


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Joel Billings should be in the thread.
Fellows, keep this up and the next thing you know someone will be calling for a remake of the old SSI games "Computer Bismark" and "Graf Spee"[:D]
Fellows, keep this up and the next thing you know someone will be calling for a remake of the old SSI games "Computer Bismark" and "Graf Spee"[:D]
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I wouldn't mind it so much, not at all really.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
ORIGINAL: pad152
Joel Billings should be in the thread.
Fellows, keep this up and the next thing you know someone will be calling for a remake of the old SSI games "Computer Bismark" and "Graf Spee"[:D]
Joel did the GrafSpee game, right? Thought it was amazing for it's time, especially as it was not exactly a well known battle to make into a wargame this early into PC games.


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I remember I was playing SSI's Fighting Steel Graf Spee Scenario, and I did it in division commander mode, so all I had was Exeter. The AI Ajax and Achillies went off with their thumbs up their butts, leaving me to fight Graf Spee alone. By the time it was over, Exeter was a blazing wreck, but a lucky 8" shell touched off Graf Spees magazine.
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
- Ron Saueracker
- Posts: 10967
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
- Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
ORIGINAL: Tankerace
I remember I was playing SSI's Fighting Steel Graf Spee Scenario, and I did it in division commander mode, so all I had was Exeter. The AI Ajax and Achillies went off with their thumbs up their butts, leaving me to fight Graf Spee alone. By the time it was over, Exeter was a blazing wreck, but a lucky 8" shell touched off Graf Spees magazine.
I held so much hope for Fighting Steel. Looked great, unfortunately that's where it ended. The AI was completely flawed regarding fleet maneuvers and tactics. I've yet to see a good naval combat AI (I never had the pleasure of trying "Action Stations" though. Apparently this was the benchmark)
Never have been able to get it to work online either. Crash City.
I'd like to see the topic tackled again, however.


Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
- steveh11Matrix
- Posts: 943
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
- Contact:
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Ron take a look at HSR's "Strategic Naval Gunnery" game at http://members.tripod.com/hsr_historica ... index.html , which is well worth a look!
Steve.
Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
- steveh11Matrix
- Posts: 943
- Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
- Contact:
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
Forgot to add: I think I'm right in saying that "Action Stations" is available on at least one of the Abandonware sites. If you've never played it, I would concur that it, too, is very, very good.
Steve.
Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I thought the AI was very goods for Great Naval Battles all 5 games. I woudl still play that one but it won't run out of a non-dos box. 
UB
UB

RE: Movie Sink the Bismarck
I remember I was playing SSI's Fighting Steel Graf Spee Scenario, and I did it in division commander mode, so all I had was Exeter. The AI Ajax and Achillies went off with their thumbs up their butts, leaving me to fight Graf Spee alone. By the time it was over, Exeter was a blazing wreck, but a lucky 8" shell touched off Graf Spees magazine.
actually i played this scenario in a PC game called Action Stations. very detailed game, the screen was a tactical display, no 3d graphics the non mouse interface is dated but i started computer games on an apple 2c sans mouse so arrow keys are my friends. this had every naval engagement from plan orange thru ww2 all theaters. i set up a scenario and sank hood with prinz eugen.
speaking of action stations, it is detailed to the point of acknowledging the design flaw in italian 8" gun turrets which had the barrels too close together and the blast would interfere with the accuracy.

- Attachments
-
- banner_arizona.jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 455 times
If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.





