1. Bunker busting by tanks/guns. In no way should a bunker/pillbox/cave/gun emplacement EVER get penetration w/o damage hits. The hit is going to seriously damage the structural integrity of the bunker if it's above ground and hit the back of the bunker if it's IN the ground (like a cave). ESPECIALLY there shouldn't be any thru-and-thrus against wooden bunkers! Kinetic energy alone should do some damage. Even concrete will spall and hurt the guys inside. And what do you suppose the chances are of a 75mm shell ricocheting off a wooden or concrete bunker are?
2. I noticed that my Marines were bailing out of their amphibs at the first ping of an enemy bullet - whether the round damaged the 'phib or not. I also noticed that there would be frequent heavy casualties to the troops...with no damage to the 'phib. Not quite logical...if the round hits the 'phib but bounces, how are 6-8 troops per platoon being killed?
3. I really don't care for the way spotted units can "disappear" until you select a unit that can spot it. For example, you engage an enemy from multiple angles in turn 5 and in turn 6 the enemy has disappeared...until you click on whatever unit has the best LOS. IMO, once an enemy is spotted, it should stay on the map until NONE of my units has LOS to it. Tonight I had a Japanese unit "disappear", even though I had 3 unsuppressed platoons adjacent to it. Since they had all engaged the JA platoon, when it was gone the next turn I assumed it was killed off. Imagine my surprise when I moved a 4th unit past and the "invisible" JA unit decimated it. With 3 units adjacent to it, I really don't think it should have disappeared.
4. Why do the hasty improvements infantry units make go away when they move?
5. Flame weapons need to have their to-hit chance and damage vs fixed fortification increased. Flamethrowers are not fired weapons in the sense that you pull the trigger and the round is gone...they're hoses of flame you can walk onto target. It's pretty aggravating to use a whole lot of flamethrower "shots" and still not hit a non-moving bunker. Some occasional misses, yes; but hitting should be the rule. And when you do hit, there shouldn't be a "no effect" rating (except maybe rarely) ESPECIALLY against a wooden fortification!
On the entire subject of bunkers, I'm thinking that they need a look at. IMO they're just too strong right now. With an average platoon only having a 10-15% chance of killing in an assault; guns ricocheting or passing thru; and flamethrowers not splashing through the firing slits...how the hell do you kill them? Yes, they should be strongpoints; but as was proved numerous times in WWII, they aren't impregnable.
OK...so I'm pretty ticked at the Betio scenario...but that doesn't invalidate my observations..



