Here's a challenge that even Brady may have to search around a bit or two to identify. Extra credit to the first person who can explain why there are no rivets.
Although this one is in post war livery it is indeed a WW2 US production model.
Attachments
airplane.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.
It must have sucked to have been a pilot of one of those things, because you know all the other pilots are laughing at you behind your back. Even the C-47 pilots can brag that they're carrying paratroopers or flying supplies over "The Hump" (actually, quite dangerous).
But that thing... What's a pilot gonna brag in the O-club, "Hey! I fly a plane thats fatter than a bus, and has no rivets! Woo-hoo!"
P-shah.
-F-
"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me
Conestoga Pilot: "I fly the hump."
Other Pilot: "So you fly C47s in Burma too?"
Conestoga Pilot:"No. I just fly the hump."
Rogue -- It was a very, very thin stainless steel. Interesting to see the dissassembled parts of most of one at the Pima Air and Space Museum. Apparently they can't rebuild it because the tech for spot-welding such thin sheets of steel is now "lost technology."
Gives one yet more reflection on US material abundance and innovation in WW2. What other nation, worried about aluminum shortages, would have substituted stainless steel?
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.