Future of games like WITP

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: ColFrost

Pausing a RTS game is not the same as turn based, because it still depends on dexterity. You still have to click the right button if/when you notice the enemy force closing in. It's still dexterity based, and some of us are not dexterity skilled.

Give me turn based every time!

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
sven6345789
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:45 am
Location: Sandviken, Sweden

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by sven6345789 »

turn based, any time; I do play RTS games like the total war series, but when it comes to the real thing, turn based is better!!
GGWaW seems to be a good game, although i havn't looked into it much; will do that right now
Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:16 am
Location: Froggy Land
Contact:

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by Spooky »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.

Most of the RTS games are for kid but GG's BOB/BTR are also RTS games [;)] and they are still real hard-core wargames.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Spooky
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.

Most of the RTS games are for kid but GG's BOB/BTR are also RTS games [;)] and they are still real hard-core wargames.

Only during the resolution phase after all the planning is done, and then only for the defender. Basically a hybrid turn based game
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Halsey
Posts: 4688
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:44 pm

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by Halsey »

Real time? The only real time games I consider worth playing are IL-2 and Silent Hunter II. Can't wait for Silent Hunter III to come out! Online convoy duty, give me a Buckley to defend a convoy with! Nothing better than running down a U-Boat![;)]

All real wargames are turn based.[;)]
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: ColFrost

Pausing a RTS game is not the same as turn based, because it still depends on dexterity. You still have to click the right button if/when you notice the enemy force closing in. It's still dexterity based, and some of us are not dexterity skilled.
Give me turn based every time!
Depends on the pace at which you play. I'm not dexterity skilled, or quick-reflexed either.
Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Bobthehatchit
Posts: 838
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: GREAT BRITAIN

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by Bobthehatchit »

ORIGINAL: tanker4145

I think there's more young wargamers than you think. Heck I'm only 26, so definately a young'en to most of you. Of course, I don't know anyone else my age who has this game. But there are some of us.

27 mate... Got a number of younger friends who play WITP and UV as well, around the 23 mark. So this game is not just for older gamers, just gamers with a really interest in WWII and the pacific theatre.
"Look at yours before laughing at mine". Garfield 1984.

Wanted: ISDII Low millage in Imperial gray.


Just my 2 pence worth.
I might not be right.
Hell I am probaby wrong.
But thats my opinion for what its worth!
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: ColFrost

Pausing a RTS game is not the same as turn based, because it still depends on dexterity. You still have to click the right button if/when you notice the enemy force closing in. It's still dexterity based, and some of us are not dexterity skilled.

Give me turn based every time!

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.
Precisely the reaction I spoke about in the earlier post. Also, I might add, my own reaction before I tried it. I still agree for non-pausable stuff - it can be made to work for tactical games, where 'real-time' really means real-time, but not for Strategy games. Add variable speed and a pause, and it works. Believe me.
Oh, and it would avoid the problem of TF's zooming right over one another...
Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Spooky
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:16 am
Location: Froggy Land
Contact:

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by Spooky »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: Spooky
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.

Most of the RTS games are for kid but GG's BOB/BTR are also RTS games [;)] and they are still real hard-core wargames.

Only during the resolution phase after all the planning is done, and then only for the defender. Basically a hybrid turn based game

True ... but I would rather call it a hybrid continuous-time based game [:D]
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: RTS vs Turned Base

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix
ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
ORIGINAL: ColFrost

Pausing a RTS game is not the same as turn based, because it still depends on dexterity. You still have to click the right button if/when you notice the enemy force closing in. It's still dexterity based, and some of us are not dexterity skilled.

Give me turn based every time!

RTS is for kids. They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but as ColFrost says, turn based is the big daddy for us real wargamers.
Precisely the reaction I spoke about in the earlier post. Also, I might add, my own reaction before I tried it. I still agree for non-pausable stuff - it can be made to work for tactical games, where 'real-time' really means real-time, but not for Strategy games. Add variable speed and a pause, and it works. Believe me.
Oh, and it would avoid the problem of TF's zooming right over one another...
Steve.

Just thought of something - instead of thinking of them as RTS, think of them as Turn-based - but with variable-length turns... [;)]

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
Top Cat
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:20 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by Top Cat »

ORIGINAL: dereck

360
V For Victory: D-Day Utah Beach <== unfortunately can't be played with Windows 95, 98 or XP [:(]


Don't give up on the V For Victory series!

Got mine to work under Win 98 (with a bit of work, mainly tweaking lower 640K of mem and mouse driver issues)

Upgraded to Win XP and they still work fine.

My favourite one is Market Garden. The AI can give you a good run
for your money in this one.

Cheers
Top Cat
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by steveh11Matrix »

ORIGINAL: Top Cat
ORIGINAL: dereck

360
V For Victory: D-Day Utah Beach <== unfortunately can't be played with Windows 95, 98 or XP [:(]


Don't give up on the V For Victory series!

Got mine to work under Win 98 (with a bit of work, mainly tweaking lower 640K of mem and mouse driver issues)

Upgraded to Win XP and they still work fine.

My favourite one is Market Garden. The AI can give you a good run
for your money in this one.

Cheers
Top Cat
Got that, and managed to make it work under W2000. Good game, although (my turn!) I'm not keen on the UI.

Steve.
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
PzB74
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: No(r)way

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by PzB74 »

I quickly found that Norway was too small...impossible to find anyone that shared my wargaming interests. Ok, I know a couple that I play Steel Panthers with and another few likes to play simpler games like Panzer General - but when it comes to games like War in Russia, UV, WitP etc. I'm basically on my own.

Never even seen anyone else from Norway on this forum! Hallo?

Next month I turn 30 and I'm getting visitors from Germany and Scotland that I got to know through playing wargames on the net! I think that's great, I'm certainly having a hobby that's going to keep me entertained for as long as I'm around [:)]

I've managed to recruit a couple of players for UV - but my nephew that's 15 doesn't even spend 2 seconds looking at my wargames. "Høh, nothings happening! How long does it take to play a game? at least a month?... *leaves* " [8|]

So me thinks it'll be difficult to get new recruits young players for games like WitP in ythe ears to come. Everyone's playing real time games with fancy graphics and lots of sound these days. (I've not played WitP with sound yet, never bothered to turn it on after the initial problems.)

We're dinosaurs just waiting for the next ice age to come along and wipe us out!

The good thing is that on a worldwide basis there should always be enough grognards to create a market for some quality wargames. Think about all the people that doesn't have a high speed internet con yet - as they get online the niche market for wargames will get keep on getting new recruits for quite some time to come.
Image

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
User avatar
RevRick
Posts: 2615
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2000 4:00 pm
Location: Thomasville, GA

RE: Back on the soap box again...

Post by RevRick »

ACTION STATIONS!!!! I really wish someone would update that game. The graphics (such as they are) are antique, the UI is abysmal, and controlling the few AC in the game is ridiculous, but the data are thorough, the concept is great, and the AI was a bear at that time.

It was a great time sweating out the tension of being in the Combat Information Center on a flagship in battle - usually at night. My favorite battle was Savo Island, followed closely by First Guadalcanal.

OH. Got interrupted... I am heartened by the young'uns (anyond under 30 now) playing this game. It will always have some interest as long as there are people who really want to understand this aspect of history - what happens when the diplomatic wing of politics fails, and why we should try to make sure that it does not. I know a few teens and young adults who really show interest in that. Unfortunately, most of our media and the schools are caught up in the current fad which relegates history to myth in the realm of the politically correct relativism. Chamberlain would be perfectly at home in the academy today, and probably in liberal politics. His spirit is pervading it. Most in the academy decry T. Roosevelt - but he was right. You can speak softly when you can resort to the big stick. When you don't have it, your alternatives when confronted with conflicts are basically three - run, beg, or pay tribute. I find those choices unpalatable.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” &#8213; Dietrich Bonhoeffer
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Back on the soap box again...

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: RevRick

ACTION STATIONS!!!! I really wish someone would update that game. The graphics (such as they are) are antique, the UI is abysmal, and controlling the few AC in the game is ridiculous, but the data are thorough, the concept is great, and the AI was a bear at that time.

It was a great time sweating out the tension of being in the Combat Information Center on a flagship in battle - usually at night. My favorite battle was Savo Island, followed closely by First Guadalcanal.

Always wanted to try this.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Skyros
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Columbia SC

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: PzB


The good thing is that on a worldwide basis there should always be enough grognards to create a market for some quality wargames. Think about all the people that doesn't have a high speed internet con yet - as they get online the niche market for wargames will get keep on getting new recruits for quite some time to come.

Thank god for the internet and PBEM. I have played Pac War vs a guy in Baltimore and RFSTA with a chap from England. Would love to PBEM WITP but I am afraid I would not be able to turn around my turns fast enough.

Is Haugesund near Kistiansand? I was there in 1980, rugged coastline with beautiful green hlls.
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by rtrapasso »

OK - maybe this is a different thread - but who is the oldest grognard here? The youngest?

I'll try for oldest for now - I'll be 53 next week. I've been playing wargames for c. 40 years, (depending on what you call a war game, if chess is included about 45 years)...


********
Whoops! About 30 seconds after posting this original, I notice there IS another thread. Not sure how I can move this over, though...
User avatar
Skyros
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Columbia SC

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by Skyros »

ORIGINAL: pasternakski
ORIGINAL: dereck
Can you imagine how awesome a remake of Victory Games strategic civil war title (can't remember name, published in the early 80's) would be on the PC!?

Jim
I'm with you. It's called "Civil War," and it is about as good as wargame design ever got. The leader rules are without equal, and are, as they should be, the heart of the game.

This highlights a problem with computer simulations and the difficulty with keeping turn-based gaming alive for the PC. A lot of cyber-people think the future is in innovation and RTS. The real solution, for my money, is for developers to find the elegant, sophisticated solutions already developed in boardgames and create ways to adapt them to computer wargames. There's a lot of untapped wisdom out there, folks.

You should try Frank Hunters Civil War game that he is supposed to remake when he finishes his WWI game. I think the official name was Road From Sumter to Appomatix. I have been playing it for a long time and he supported it like Gary did Pacwar and Matrix does WITP. As a matter of fact he has two games on this forum a WWI and Napoleon era game.
User avatar
PzB74
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2000 8:00 am
Location: No(r)way

RE: Future of games like WITP

Post by PzB74 »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

Thank god for the internet and PBEM. I have played Pac War vs a guy in Baltimore and RFSTA with a chap from England. Would love to PBEM WITP but I am afraid I would not be able to turn around my turns fast enough.

Is Haugesund near Kistiansand? I was there in 1980, rugged coastline with beautiful green hlls.

Certainly is...about 250km north of Kristiansand. I know that, cause I'm finishing my degree at Agder College which lies in Kristiansand. Takes 5 hour by car/ferry.

Sounds like you described most of the west coast, here's a picture from Haugesund:

Image
Attachments
haugesund.jpg
haugesund.jpg (107.65 KiB) Viewed 465 times
Image

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Back on the soap box again...

Post by Nikademus »

Warship!
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”