Boston or New York

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
Hornblower
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 am
Location: New York'er relocated to Chicago

RE: Boston or New York

Post by Hornblower »

Your right there. Amen... Or Munson- but now i'm dating myself...
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: Boston or New York

Post by madmickey »

Also you look at how the Bosox reached this point and it tell us about the uncertainty of life.
They waive Manny who was WS MVP but he had a bad ACLS.
They traded their most popular player Nomar to Chicago.
They mess up Alex Rodiguez contract.
Their pitching in game 3 of ACLS is beyond terrible than they become (Gibsons and Koufaxes).
Johnny Damon did nothing first part of Playoff than unbelievable.
Rivera blows a couple saves for Yankees
User avatar
steveh11Matrix
Posts: 943
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:54 am
Contact:

RE: Boston or New York

Post by steveh11Matrix »

This is a very USA-Centric thread...I reckon Arsenal will win the Premiership handily this season, myself! [:D]
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
User avatar
Oliver Heindorf
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 2:49 am
Location: Hamburg/Deutschland

RE: Boston or New York

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

This is a very USA-Centric thread...I reckon Arsenal will win the Premiership handily this season, myself! [:D]

as long as Jens Lehmann wont make any failures ( Patzer in german ) [8|]

bad Jens -> bye bye Arsenal.
good Jens -> Arsenal on TOP ( I hope )

PS : Keegan forever !
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: Boston or New York

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

This is a very USA-Centric thread...I reckon Arsenal will win the Premiership handily this season, myself! [:D]
Russian crooks from Chelsea will win
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: Boston or New York

Post by madmickey »

ORIGINAL: steveh11Matrix

This is a very USA-Centric thread...I reckon Arsenal will win the Premiership handily this season, myself! [:D]
Start your own thread, by the way both Ron and I are from the Great White North.
mdiehl
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

More's the Irony

Post by mdiehl »

A link to the Boston Globe's story on the Red Sox win.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... 10/28/yes/

To put it in perspective for folks from the other side of the Atlantic, for a Boston fan it feels pretty good in the same way that Brits must have felt when they burned Washington, or the French felt when the Germans signed the armistice.

More's the irony: The World Series Championship flag is raised in the victors' baseball stadium on the day of their first home game -- opening day -- in the following season. So, on April 11 2005 the World Series flag will be hoisted over Fenway Park in Boston.

And on that day, watching from the visitors' dugout, required by tradition and coincidence to endure the very last twist of the knife, the visiting team looking on at the flag reaising ceremony will be.... the New York Yankees. [:D]
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: More's the Irony

Post by testarossa »

I WANT MY HOCKEY BACK [:@]
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: More's the Irony

Post by madmickey »

Mdiehl
As a Red Sox fan do you wish Nomar was on the team and how did you really feel after they traded him?
Did you think they had a chance?
User avatar
Hornblower
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:02 am
Location: New York'er relocated to Chicago

RE: More's the Irony

Post by Hornblower »

ditto! Yes, bradway blue fan-boy....
mdiehl
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: More's the Irony

Post by mdiehl »

As a Red Sox fan do you wish Nomar was on the team and how did you really feel after they traded him?


I haven't watched a complete game since 1986 for reasons that are apparent to everyone who knows the background. I did not want the stress of watching the Sox lose again after having my expectations and hopes encouraged and increased by the perennial "might do it" accomplishments of the team.

Because of that I had no deep affection for Nomar. I watched parts of maybe 10 games per year and followed the box scores. Frankly, I found the "glove thing" to be bizarre and tedious. Giving him the boot promoted a reaction in me something like this: "At least if the Red Sox come close to winning some important game that I happen to watch, and then blow it, I won't have wasted an extra ten minutes of my time watching him twiddle his glove." In short, losing Nomar was a way of quickening the death and increasing the mercy in the expected, inevitable, 'We blew it AGAIN but wait till next year" hope-crushing loss.
Did you think they had a chance?

Yes. I've always felt they had a chance. I have also, for the sake of sanity, assumed that they'd blow it if ever they came close to doing the deed. Been that way since 1986. But now with the ultimate hopes met and satisfied, it makes watching them much easier. They could screw up, for example, in next year's series, if they get there -- and blow some overwhelming lead. Although I'd be disappointed, it wouldn't be that same crushingly oppressive sense of futility that I felt after 1986 game 7 and that stayed with me (as far as the Red Sox go), until they defeated the Yankees in game 7 last week.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: More's the Irony

Post by madmickey »

[
Yes. I've always felt they had a chance. I have also, for the sake of sanity, assumed that they'd blow it if ever they came close to doing the deed. Been that way since 1986.

Old time Boston fans (I an not a real Boston fan, I just hoped they would win) remember Enos Slaughter, the shift, Bob Gibson, game 7 of 1975 (they had the lead and everybody remeber game 6), Bucky Dent before Bill Buckes.
mdiehl
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: More's the Irony

Post by mdiehl »

Oh yeah, I remember all that. Even Luis Tiante's home run in the series. Was that the last time an American League pitcher parked one? Seriously though. I remember Reggie Smith. Congliaro. Soup. Spaceman. Petrocelli. Yaz. I don't feel old but I think that makes me a long time fan.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
madmickey
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:54 pm
Location: Calgary, Alberta

RE: More's the Irony

Post by madmickey »

Well I guess you can be happy but what happens if The Patriot repeat, and even the Bruins and Celtics win.
mdiehl
Posts: 3969
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2000 8:00 am

RE: More's the Irony

Post by mdiehl »

Well I guess you can be happy but what happens if The Patriot repeat, and even the Bruins and Celtics win.

I'll move to Maine.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
User avatar
Skyros
Posts: 1594
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Columbia SC

RE: More's the Irony

Post by Skyros »

Don't for get Freddy Lynn, Dewey Evans, Louis AParichio, Carlton Fisk and Berniw Carbo!

I'm still on a high from this victory that only the patch can bring me down from[:)]
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”