Norton Antivirus

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

pad152
Posts: 2835
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2000 8:00 am

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by pad152 »

Everyone needs to be running anit-virus, a firewall(even dial-up) and anti-spyware.

Here's a link to some test results for just anti-spyware http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-results-1.htm
User avatar
Nikademus
Posts: 22517
Joined: Sat May 27, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Alien spacecraft

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by Nikademus »

I hate Norton. Had to deal with it at work. Even in a corporate environment, it causes headaches. I've been using eTrust for a couple years now. never had a problem.
User avatar
Twotribes
Posts: 6466
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Jacksonville NC
Contact:

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by Twotribes »

My router protects me, I dont use a firewall, havent in a while.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
interfere with newtork connections is when it's doing it's Auto-Updates,

You can understand why they do this ... while the program is updating, there is the potential of being vulnerable. Safer to lock things up until the update has fully installed and is protecting you.

I didn't deal with the PC frontend programming. If the troubleshooting showed the problem was there I referred it to another group. I dealt with the code on the servers, which was where 85% of the problems were. (Customizations are a bitch. And everyone insists on them. [:@])

But two points (if I can do this without turning this into an argument, trying to keep it to just a friendly discussion [:)]). One, remember the environment and application. 911 Dispatch. The PCs are on and in use 24/7/365. There is no downtime when it is convient to schedule updates for. Two, what I was told is that the file and socket locking was during the scanning, not the updates.

Any rate, our account and project managers have had this discussion with local network admins and sysops. When its a $50 piece of software that has alternatives versus the $1,000,000 plus hardware/software installation that is considered critical to public safety, you can guess who wins the discussion. [:D]
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by Mr.Frag »

[:D]

Yea, I always love those dicussions ... we want 7/24/365 uptime but we will not pay for any redundancy [8|]
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: Shaw cable not letting save games through

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: Belce

Shaw cable can be very dirty. Helping my parents get WinXP installed and made the mistake of connecting to the internet prior to putting up a firewall, in no time I had 20 different virus infections. I had done the same thing with my dsl connection and never had the same trouble. Cable does have a much better download speed though in its favour.


Didn't you First install an ant-virius program? I suspect you mean
worms that took advantage of holes in mickysofts XP and in MSIE
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: Shaw cable not letting save games through

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck
ORIGINAL: CMDRMCTOAST

LOL
I had the same thing happen when the forums went down about december or so
and my computor went down also.
I reinstalled windows and boom had 7 viruses which I think come in with
the updates as that is the only thing I downloaded that day.
Put in the firewall after reinstalling windows then downloaded the updates
works much better.

A latest check by this WWW security group (can´t remeber the name currently), stated that an freshly installed unprotected PC that goes online is infested with worms, trojans and viruses within some 10 minutes.

Good thing to remeber, first built up your forces then declare war [;)]



Which is why one should install anti-virius software even if out of date
to give some protection, use a hardware firewall plus a software
use a non-microsoft browser since MSIE is full of many holes before patching besides the OS itself.

By unprotected I assume they mean a system newly installed without any firewall nor anti-virius software nor any updates.
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
User avatar
Cmdrcain
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:00 am
Location: Rebuilding FLA, Busy Repairing!
Contact:

RE: Norton Antivirus

Post by Cmdrcain »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

My router protects me, I dont use a firewall, havent in a while.


Take a Look, many Routers have a Firewall built in, mine has a NAT firewall in it.
Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!
Image
Battlestar Pegasus
User avatar
testarossa
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:06 pm

RE: Shaw cable not letting save games through

Post by testarossa »

ORIGINAL: CMDRMCTOAST

Ed is using shaw as I am the apponant who can't get the files to him as well as another apponant of mine with a UV game, UV files are not going thru either.

Cant you just zip and password protect them?

And I use TrendMicro PCCillin, takes only 3% of system resourses with scanner and firewall enabled.
User avatar
CMDRMCTOAST
Posts: 673
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Mount Vernon wa..

RE: Shaw cable not letting save games through

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

Zips won't go thru either, but we are having success with yousendit.com
for the interim.
although I never thought of password protecting a zip file, I will give it a try.
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”