Is it worth it guys?
Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami
Is it worth it guys?
Honestly, I LOVE strategy games, I really loved Highway to the Reich and the like.... I really like "big picture" type strategic games, and I really think this is up my alley.
So is it really worth $60.00?
I'm a college student, so yes the question is neccesarry. Need honest straight-forward stuff.... this game has been calling me for a while, and I can't decide
So is it really worth $60.00?
I'm a college student, so yes the question is neccesarry. Need honest straight-forward stuff.... this game has been calling me for a while, and I can't decide
- madflava13
- Posts: 1501
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Trust me, it's worth it. I'm a student as well, living off of loans. This game will suck up every free minute you have if you let it. You'll be playing it for at least the next 10 years, so if you consider that, $60 is not much at all.
I don't know if you're familiar with UV, but WiTP is vastly improved from that game, with many many additional features. You said you like the grand strategic type games - this one's for you.
I don't know if you're familiar with UV, but WiTP is vastly improved from that game, with many many additional features. You said you like the grand strategic type games - this one's for you.
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
RE: Is it worth it guys?
madflava I think you might be right, cuz there are a few games that have lasted me for a loooooooong time Highway to the Reich is one of them. I love those games that never get old....
Ok..... I'm gettin closer to whipin out (parents) credit card
Ok..... I'm gettin closer to whipin out (parents) credit card
- Platoonist
- Posts: 3042
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 am
- Location: Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Helps if you love the subject matter. Troops fighting for months over isolated islands and airfields that if captured control vast swaths of ocean that ships take days to cross and planes can strike over in minutes. Always a lot going on in three dimensions at least.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
I've been playing war games since my brother and I bought the Avalon Hill board game Panzer Blitz back in 1976 and War in the Pacific is a gamers dream come true. There's some bugs in the game but for as massive as it is they're minor plus the developers are working on them.
It's worth it in my opinion.
It's worth it in my opinion.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Ya sold me.... I bought it..
Heres to many fun nights!
Heres to many fun nights!
- Titanwarrior89
- Posts: 3282
- Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 4:07 pm
- Location: arkansas
- Contact:
RE: Is it worth it guys?
This is the best war game ever produced. It has some problems but over all it's one heck of a wargame. [:D]
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".
"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Oh sweet jesus!
I did a digital download and have no manual... this is tooo intimidating, please tell me there is somewhere I can go to learn the basics?
I did a digital download and have no manual... this is tooo intimidating, please tell me there is somewhere I can go to learn the basics?
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Yes this the best game ever. Especially if you love the subject. Read the manual. Do the tutorial and ask quedtion especially in the support forum . There are lots of folks ready to help.[;)][;)][;)]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
What do you mean you have no manulal. Its in the original download/disc.[&:]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
I did a digital download, Ill look for it I might have jumped the gun.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Go to the WITP directiry and doubleclick and you will get the folders one is called manuals . There are several in there.[:D]
- madflava13
- Posts: 1501
- Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2001 10:00 am
- Location: Alexandria, VA
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Yeah the manual is in PDF format in the "manuals" folder... Its pretty good, but the production and supply information can get confusing at times. A lot of people have one printed up at Kinko's or wherever - I think that runs about $30-40, but I have not done it myself.
Also check out Spooky's Site here: http://mathubert.free.fr/
There's a ton of player mods (sound, graphics, OOB, etc) available. You can find tips for beginners, strategy guides from some more experienced players, as well as hints on production and such for the Japanese player.
If you still have questions after reading all that stuff, searching these boards or just asking will get you an answer. Everyone's friendly around here, so don't be afraid to pipe up.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
Also check out Spooky's Site here: http://mathubert.free.fr/
There's a ton of player mods (sound, graphics, OOB, etc) available. You can find tips for beginners, strategy guides from some more experienced players, as well as hints on production and such for the Japanese player.
If you still have questions after reading all that stuff, searching these boards or just asking will get you an answer. Everyone's friendly around here, so don't be afraid to pipe up.
Good luck and welcome aboard!
"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
RE: Is it worth it guys?
You are so screwed now!!!!! Prepare to flunk out of school.[:D]
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Hey, I'm in college, play WitP, and am writing War Plan Orange, and I'm not flunking....course, my grade's aren't straight 'A's anymore though... but that started 2 semesters ago [:D]
Designer of War Plan Orange
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
Allied Naval OOBer of Admiral's Edition
Naval Team Lead for War in the Med
Author of Million-Dollar Barrage: American Field Artillery in the Great War coming soon from OU Press.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
This is indead one of he best games ever, while I may find fault with some aspects of it, this is realy a feaking great game.

SCW Beta Support Team
Beta Team Member for:
WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE
Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view
- Freddy Fudpucker
- Posts: 235
- Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:03 pm
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Stall84,
Was the download version 1.3? I just ordered WiTP too but on hard copy only (no dd for me) and am hoping that it'll be 1.3 when it arrives.
Only problem with hard copy of course is waiting for it to arrive, and I have no idea how long that takes!
Was the download version 1.3? I just ordered WiTP too but on hard copy only (no dd for me) and am hoping that it'll be 1.3 when it arrives.
Only problem with hard copy of course is waiting for it to arrive, and I have no idea how long that takes!
Gentlemen, we're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'. -Capt. E. Blackadder.
RE: Is it worth it guys?
Two ways to find the manual.
1) Use the START option on the windows task bar and find War in the Pacific and underneath that option there will be Adobe files which contain the manual. They're called War inthe Pacific Manual.
2) Use Windows Explorer and find the directory where the manuals are (underneath War in the Pacific in a directory called Manuals) and double click on the manual file.
You do need Adobe Reader 6.0 to read them though which can be downloaded for free if you have to.
1) Use the START option on the windows task bar and find War in the Pacific and underneath that option there will be Adobe files which contain the manual. They're called War inthe Pacific Manual.
2) Use Windows Explorer and find the directory where the manuals are (underneath War in the Pacific in a directory called Manuals) and double click on the manual file.
You do need Adobe Reader 6.0 to read them though which can be downloaded for free if you have to.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
RE: Is it worth it guys?
I found the maual, and am reading it while grinding my teeth in agony....
Jeez this game is complicate, I mean I expected it to be, and that's a good thing, but dang... beyond all expectations complicated
Jeez this game is complicate, I mean I expected it to be, and that's a good thing, but dang... beyond all expectations complicated
RE: Is it worth it guys?
If you have trouble downloading from the "Members" area, try the "Downloads" area. There was a problem when 1.3 came out where people couldn't download from the "Members" area but had no problems using the "Downloads" area.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)






