Possible Brain Cramp

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by dtravel »

Mr.Frag, stop making the other children cry.

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
foliveti
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:24 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by foliveti »

I like to use the resource hub concept in the DEI as allies if I can get away with it. Use the 9k tankers to pick it up in the smaller ports where the oil is produced and dump it in Soerobaja or Batavia for the 18K tankers to haul to OZ or India. I have not played as Japan, so I do not know if they have different size tankers which would cause this to make sense as well.
Frank
User avatar
2ndACR
Posts: 5524
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:32 am
Location: Irving,Tx

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by 2ndACR »

1 9,000 capacity tanker with 4 escorts per oil base in the southern DEI. They go to Manila and off load it. I build it up to size 9, so loading and unloading is pretty quick.

From there 2-3 16,000 capacity tankers with 8 heavy ASW escorts and a CS escort it to Japan.

Same for all resources. Only their convoys are even bigger. But not as well protected, I need oil more than resources.
User avatar
rtrapasso
Posts: 22655
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:31 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by rtrapasso »

Are resources supposed to have the same load value as supplies?

If you believe chart in manual 6.1.19 "Loading and Unloading transports" - supplies and resources have same value.

I've noticed that if you load both supplies and resources into the same ship, only resources shows up on the screen. So, you might have a 7000 ton AK registering 1000 tons resources but being shown at 100% capacity. The rest is probably in supplies (unless you also have troops or planes).
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag

Personally, I've never understood the purpose of loading a ship only to unload it to load it again to unload it when it gets where you really wanted it in the first place ... just wastes time with the extra load/unload.

Maybe it's just me [:D]

Only done by players using CS convoys because of the tragic inability of the auto convoy system to do any aspect of its' designed function adequately. In real life it would be ridiculous but with WITP's ridiculously fast logistical model, time is not an issue anyway.

I suppose just pooling resource/oil convoys at hubs (all ships have a "do not unload" order in place) and then merging them into larger ones for final destination would work. Brutal player overload but WTF.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Bradley7735
Posts: 2073
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:51 pm

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Bradley7735 »

Manila has one or two manpower, doesn't it?
The older I get, the better I was.
User avatar
tabpub
Posts: 1019
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:32 am
Location: The Greater Chicagoland Area

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by tabpub »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
Hah, vindicated.

Only partly, it only happens at bases that do not have anything in the first place. You can do this as long as it is a base that already has some form of industry so it's never been a high priority.

Well, perhaps it just doesn't work at some locations, but I find that Tjilijap works for me. Perhaps I did the proper qyrations and incantations before starting the scenario....
Sing to the tune of "Man on the Flying Trapeze"
..Oh! We fly o'er the treetops with inches to spare,
There's smoke in the cockpit and gray in my hair.
The tracers look fine as a strafin' we go.
But, brother, we're TOO God damn low...
User avatar
freeboy
Posts: 8969
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:33 am
Location: Colorado

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by freeboy »

is there a problem with not using cargo and only using transport tf's? I do not see one.. ??
I just steam down pick up the poop and steam back.. Ron what is the proble.. didn't you know that you set the convy to retirement allowed and change the base back and forth between the destination to get and to give whatever item ?
"Tanks forward"
User avatar
ChezDaJez
Posts: 3293
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:08 am
Location: Chehalis, WA

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by ChezDaJez »

I've been using Palau as a supply hub. Japan feeds Palau, Palau feeds Truk and Singapore, Truk and Singapore feed their respective bases. I also use CS supply to move them. This way I can concentrate on just the supplies located on the battlefront.

I do this for 3 reasons.

1. It allows me to keep the faster transports near the front. Having faster transports help their survivability.

2. It greatly reduces the number of convoys leaving Japan, thereby reducing the effectiveness of subs. True, these do tend to be large convoys, but it also allows me to use more escorts with each convoy. Allows better detection of them. So far, I've only lost 11 ships to Allied subs (late Nov 42, scen 15).

3. I typically have large supply stocks at each hub (100,000+). I can quickly reroute supplies to where they are needed during critical operations such as when the Allies launch an offensive. I was able to move additional supplies very quickly to Rabaul and Guadalcanal from Truk when the Allies went for Guadalcanal.

I don't use autoconvoys anymore, not only due to their bad and predictable (for the enemy) pathfinding, but mostly because I can't prioritise any bases or change the amount a base requests. You end up with situations like it sending a full 7000T AK to Wakeand a half empty 3500T AK to Truk (if it goes at all) because there wasn't enough available. Plus all autoconvoys must leave from Osaka, draining its supply and making it useless as a repair base. CS convoys can leave from any port.

Chez
Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
User avatar
pry
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:19 am
Location: Overlooking Galveston Bay, Texas

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by pry »

ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I live off CS convoys as I absolutely refuse to use the AI if I don't have to. Yes, ifthis is the case, the ability to run CS convoys carrying resources and oil is a basic "must have". I will never play Japan if this is not possible.

There is not CS-Commodities option Ron. CS is Fuel/Supplies only, not Oil/Resources.

It's on the wish list somewhere.

Yep I put it on the list a loooonnngggg time ago... Still got my fingers crossed [:D]
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: pry
ORIGINAL: Mr.Frag
I live off CS convoys as I absolutely refuse to use the AI if I don't have to. Yes, ifthis is the case, the ability to run CS convoys carrying resources and oil is a basic "must have". I will never play Japan if this is not possible.

There is not CS-Commodities option Ron. CS is Fuel/Supplies only, not Oil/Resources.

It's on the wish list somewhere.

Yep I put it on the list a loooonnngggg time ago... Still got my fingers crossed [:D]

Cool. Testing Allies mainly,I did not notice this early on.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

I've been using Palau as a supply hub. Japan feeds Palau, Palau feeds Truk and Singapore, Truk and Singapore feed their respective bases. I also use CS supply to move them. This way I can concentrate on just the supplies located on the battlefront.

I do this for 3 reasons.

1. It allows me to keep the faster transports near the front. Having faster transports help their survivability.

2. It greatly reduces the number of convoys leaving Japan, thereby reducing the effectiveness of subs. True, these do tend to be large convoys, but it also allows me to use more escorts with each convoy. Allows better detection of them. So far, I've only lost 11 ships to Allied subs (late Nov 42, scen 15).

3. I typically have large supply stocks at each hub (100,000+). I can quickly reroute supplies to where they are needed during critical operations such as when the Allies launch an offensive. I was able to move additional supplies very quickly to Rabaul and Guadalcanal from Truk when the Allies went for Guadalcanal.

I don't use autoconvoys anymore, not only due to their bad and predictable (for the enemy) pathfinding, but mostly because I can't prioritise any bases or change the amount a base requests. You end up with situations like it sending a full 7000T AK to Wakeand a half empty 3500T AK to Truk (if it goes at all) because there wasn't enough available. Plus all autoconvoys must leave from Osaka, draining its supply and making it useless as a repair base. CS convoys can leave from any port.

Chez

I don't know if I'll ever play this game again due to the spawning rule, but I do have a question which your post brought to mind. If you're playing the AI, either side, have you ever done much of sending convoys to a spot instead of going directly to the destination? It would seem to me that this would result in lower losses, because if you sent convoys from a pretty popular route, such as Tokyo to Palau, that the AI subs will concentrate on getting on that path. Not conveniently plotting to Palau should make your journey unpredictable. Of course if the AI has no way of knowing, be it before the game begins or learning it later, of that one path from Tokyo to our example Palau, it would be pointless anyway.
User avatar
Ron Saueracker
Posts: 10967
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:00 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada OR Zakynthos Island, Greece

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22
ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

I've been using Palau as a supply hub. Japan feeds Palau, Palau feeds Truk and Singapore, Truk and Singapore feed their respective bases. I also use CS supply to move them. This way I can concentrate on just the supplies located on the battlefront.

I do this for 3 reasons.

1. It allows me to keep the faster transports near the front. Having faster transports help their survivability.

2. It greatly reduces the number of convoys leaving Japan, thereby reducing the effectiveness of subs. True, these do tend to be large convoys, but it also allows me to use more escorts with each convoy. Allows better detection of them. So far, I've only lost 11 ships to Allied subs (late Nov 42, scen 15).

3. I typically have large supply stocks at each hub (100,000+). I can quickly reroute supplies to where they are needed during critical operations such as when the Allies launch an offensive. I was able to move additional supplies very quickly to Rabaul and Guadalcanal from Truk when the Allies went for Guadalcanal.

I don't use autoconvoys anymore, not only due to their bad and predictable (for the enemy) pathfinding, but mostly because I can't prioritise any bases or change the amount a base requests. You end up with situations like it sending a full 7000T AK to Wakeand a half empty 3500T AK to Truk (if it goes at all) because there wasn't enough available. Plus all autoconvoys must leave from Osaka, draining its supply and making it useless as a repair base. CS convoys can leave from any port.

Chez

I don't know if I'll ever play this game again due to the spawning rule, but I do have a question which your post brought to mind. If you're playing the AI, either side, have you ever done much of sending convoys to a spot instead of going directly to the destination? It would seem to me that this would result in lower losses, because if you sent convoys from a pretty popular route, such as Tokyo to Palau, that the AI subs will concentrate on getting on that path. Not conveniently plotting to Palau should make your journey unpredictable. Of course if the AI has no way of knowing, be it before the game begins or learning it later, of that one path from Tokyo to our example Palau, it would be pointless anyway.

Hey,Charles. I'll do a quickie optional spawning scenario. Wont work for the AI but works fine PBEM...assuming you are not an AI only guy.
Image

Image

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Charles2222 »

Unfortunately, so to speak, I am an AI-only guy. Thanks though.
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Charles2222 »

No sorry, I placed this comment in the wrong forum. I must be insane today.
User avatar
Mr.Frag
Posts: 11195
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Purgatory

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Mr.Frag »

I must be insane today.

Well, hopefully you'll find the cure tomorrow. Then you can tell the rest of us insane types. [:D]
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Charles2222 »

Yes church is saner than work (which is where I'm at now).
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by dtravel »

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Yes church is saner than work (which is where I'm at now).

Well, religion must not be having much of an effect on you if you're busy typing away in this forum during services. [:'(]
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
User avatar
Charles2222
Posts: 3687
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:00 am

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by Charles2222 »

ORIGINAL: dtravel
ORIGINAL: Charles_22

Yes church is saner than work (which is where I'm at now).

Well, religion must not be having much of an effect on you if you're busy typing away in this forum during services. [:'(]

No, no, no. Tomorrow is the Church, today was the work. The bit in parenthesis was supposed to be working off the last word in the sentence, though I do admit I didn't word it as clearly as I would desire.
User avatar
dtravel
Posts: 4533
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:34 pm

RE: Possible Brain Cramp

Post by dtravel »

Spoilsport. You've ruined a perfectly good mental picture of a WiTP addict now. [:D]
This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Image
Post Reply

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”