SPWAW system crash

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
Post Reply
vfritz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:49 pm

SPWAW system crash

Post by vfritz »

Just loaded this game but it crashes after about ten minutes of play. The PC has to be rebooted with the switch - will not respond to "ctl-alt-del" and/or task manager. PC system is brand new with XP and a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 graphics card with 56.72 patch installed. If anyone has any ideas as to the cause and/or solution - please let me know, thanks.

Vincent Fritz
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: SPWAW system crash

Post by RBWhite »

vfritz

I have a similar problem with SPWAW. My video screen goes black.

Have the same video GeForce 5600, my video card is a MSI, AGP, 128 meg. there are newer drivers at Nvidia.com

Don't think thats your problem though.

Yours could be a sound problem.

Do you know who made your motherboard [Intel, ASUS, Fic, etc.] and the chipset type[Intel, Via, Ami, etc.] and version number.

The problem I have with SPWAW, so I am told, is my ASUS motherboard and my Intel chipset combination. ASUS motherboard P4C800 Deluxe. Intel chipset 875P MCH.

You might want to try and check to see what the level of system resourses usage was about the time you think its going to lock up on you

Rick White
vfritz
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:49 pm

RE: SPWAW system crash

Post by vfritz »

I was under the impression that I had the latest and greatest update from NVIDIA - the "56.72" patch, I just downloaded and installed a few days ago. I just received the SPWAW General's Version as a gift - the CD not the download version, but is there a "patch" that is required?

I have also inquired directly to Matrix Games. My PC is also very new - 3.3 GHz although I don't know what the chipset and/or motherboard specs are. Is there some type of specific settings required to play SPWAW? I have downloaded and installed DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft - would that be an issue? I have tried various settings via the troubleshoot screen with the hardware acceleration option - doesn't work though. I have also tried turning the sound inside the game off (before it crashes) but to no avail. I have all other programs off, screen saver off, virus protection off, etc...

That would be a real bummer if this game won't work because of hardware. I don't understand why it works for a little bit and then crashes hard - if it was a hardware problem then why would it work at all?

I would appreciate any feedback, thanks.
User avatar
RBWhite
Posts: 1484
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm
Location: Somerdale, New Jersey, USA

RE: SPWAW system crash

Post by RBWhite »

There should be a WinXP driver package at Nvidia.com version 66.93

Yes the SPWAW patch is version 8.30. Go to home page its the downloads section. Theres a patch just for your registered game.

It is probly some type of a hardware problem. [Machine is to new???]

It is an enjoyable simulation the sad part is I have to play it on a much older computer.

Also e-mail Support@Matrixgames.com and explain it to them again until you get a responce

Rick White
Post Reply

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”